Speculation: Interest in Brad Richards?

ForsbergForever

May 19, 2004
In another case of how the mighty from the 1998 draft have fallen, is there any documented or potential interest at this point in Brad Richards? Like Lecavalier, Simon Gagne, and arguabley Gomez, Legwand and others, his production has seen a drastic decline and now finds himself on the bubble as far as his career is concerned. As a side note, has it just been bad luck or is there another reason that the cream of the '98 crop are struggling to stay in the league past 35?

LAKings88

First round fodder
Dec 4, 2006
here or there
They are old, far as hockey goes. Chelios and Jagr are not normal.

Skills and reflexes decline. Recovery takes longer.

Roles tend to change.

do0glas

Jan 26, 2012
I was a proponent for our 4c spot before we grabbed boedker.

We have so many pure wingers coming in that I'm not sure if tierney will be 3c or 4c. So no go now.

PensPlz

Dec 23, 2009
Pittsburgh
Maybe if we the Pens don't sign Cullen I could absolutely see Richards being a realistic option with our limited cap space for a 4th center/depth.

Wood Stick

Dec 25, 2015
He was good on the PP on a **** Detroit team. Legs are completely gone. Still has a high IQ. Unfortunately the entire Detroit team struggled.

Lou is God

Nov 10, 2003
New Jersey
In another case of how the mighty from the 1998 draft have fallen, is there any documented or potential interest at this point in Brad Richards? Like Lecavalier, Simon Gagne, and arguabley Gomez, Legwand and others, his production has seen a drastic decline and now finds himself on the bubble as far as his career is concerned. As a side note, has it just been bad luck or is there another reason that the cream of the '98 crop are struggling to stay in the league past 35?

There are members here who weren't even born when these guys were drafted, the mighty haven't fallen, they are just old.

Morozov

The Devil Killer
Sep 18, 2007
You say struggling to stay in the league past 35 like it's a normal thing to be in the league at that age performing at a good level. Guys who can do that are exceptions not the rule. It isn't some issue with the 98 draft. Though they weren't exactly a group of great hall of fame type talents anyway.

KreiderHouseRules*

I think I'm the only NYR fan who would love to see him back as a winger on the 3rd line who can slot up if needed and play center if one of Stepan/Brassard/Hayes are injured. Depth wins and I think he still has some good hockey left, as long as he's not counted on to be a primary offensive producer.

1 year 2M I'm definitely interested. Plus we're still paying him from the buyout I think :)

KingPuckChoo

Go kinGs Go !
Jun 24, 2007
LA should seriously tap that

who knows, maybe the following season they'll sign Martin St Louis too

Exit Dose

Jul 2, 2011
Georgia
With Thompson out, it wouldn't be the worst idea to take a shot on Richards, provided he isn't asking for much.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad