Interactions you had with players/hockey personalities

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
For me the first famous player I can remember ever meeting was Maurice Richard, although long retired by this time of course. My dad took me to an autograph signing of his. I can still to this day remember his piercing eyes. I think the Rocket had a lot of mistrust of the public from those years of being in the NHL and the French-Canadian bias against him. He just always seemed to be that warrior even off the ice to me. I can remember him asking me if the book I placed on the table was mine. He did it in a very scary way too, with those eyes glaring at me. I said yes, and he signed what I had and then that was it. He was very much intense even off the ice. I often wonder if Rocket ever got the chance to soak things up the way he should have.

Met Paul Henderson twice. Great man to speak with. I asked him back in 1997 if he ever thought he'd make the HHOF as this was a popular movement circulating around the 25th anniversary of the series. He just said: "Time will tell." The 2nd time I met him I asked him why he thought he wasn't on the 1976 Canada Cup team. He said "Well, I was in the WHA at the time and they weren't taking those players." I knew that Bobby Hull was on the team and he was in the WHA at the time but I didn't say anything, I just wanted to know his own opinion. He also told me that while he appreciates the goal he scored in Game 8 in 1972, everyone forgets the prettiest goal he ever scored and that was the winner in Game 7.

Don Cherry was probably the most relaxed and casual of all of the hockey personalities I ever met. I shook his hand and for some inexplicable reason referred to him as "Donald". He showed up for an autograph signing at my workplace and there was a co-worker of mine who didn't like him very much and was acting as if he didn't care if he showed up here or not. Cherry came through a back door and this same co-worker was the first one to run over to him and shake his hand as if he were his biggest fan! I liked talking to Cherry, he listened when I talked about his Rock Em Sock Ems and I told him Sinden made a mistake firing him in 1979.

Met Kevin Lowe while watching a junior hockey game in the fall of 2001. He was just sort of sitting up there by himself and no one was around him. I recognized him and gave him some "advice" on who to put on the team. I mentioned how big of a start Jarome Iginla is getting off to this year and his response was "He's having a hell of a year so far!" But he wouldn't budge on who he thought was going to be on the team one way or another.

I met Yvan Cournoyer and had a picture taken of him with my son that was a lovely picture but I misplaced it. Anyway, I reminded him of the goal he scored in Game 2 of the 1972 series when he blew by everyone. Pure speed.

Met the lovable Walter Gretzky about three years ago. He was clearly not doing too well at the time and I did not want an autograph but just wanted to shake his hand. I told him it was an honour to meet the father of the greatest there ever was to play the game. He could barely speak, he was trying, but for whatever reason he was there for a ceremonial puck drop at an old-timers game. Glad to have met him.

Marcel Dionne is a very talkative guy. Met him twice, my son inadvertently asked him if he had ever won the Stanley Cup. I almost covered his mouth when he asked that. Dionne handled it well. He told me he thought management was at fault for the Kings' lack of success.

The late Dale Hawerchuk I met at a Toronto card show in 2018. He was quiet, reserved, etc. I told him "Thanks for 1987" in regards to the Canada Cup. He almost seemed surprised at this as I am sure not a lot of people remember his contributions during that tournament.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad