Intensity Issues With This Team (this has to be talked about)

Status
Not open for further replies.

RangersFan1994

Aug 20, 2019
Back to back games, we have heard the players talk to the media about the lack of intensity. They talked about it vs the Islanders and then the next game vs the Flyers tonight, we have the same intensity issues. I doubt it is coaching because we have all seen this with Galant last year. So the question is, what is causing the lack of intensity? Do the players not seem to care? Do they think that relying on their skill alone is gonna help them in the playoffs? Do the players know that relying on Rempe a 21 year old rookie for their intensity is a huge issue. Why is this consistently an issue with this Rangers team? Drury really needs to find players that bring that intensity and gets mad when they lose. Why won’t these players change their game a little bit to improve their intensity? The playoffs is all about intensity. The players should already know this.

Row I Goon

Nov 14, 2018
I'm not gonna panic......yet. We've won 53 of 80 games and are currently in 1OA place.

BUT.

And it's a big BUT.

The difference between our best, and our worst, is wide.

When we suck, we suck hard. And without naming "names" there's a couple of guys who should be getting talked to about how much/little they're doing game-by-game and across the season.

Those "names", for me, are not Panarin, Laf, Trochek or Fox. You may have your own, these are mine IMHO.

We shoulda had the season locked and put away by now.

Hire Sather

He Is Our Star
Oct 4, 2002
Connecticut
I'm not gonna panic......yet. We've won 53 of 80 games and are currently in 1OA place.

BUT.

And it's a big BUT.

When we suck, we suck hard. And without naming "names" there's a couple of guys who should be getting talked to about how much/little they're doing game-by-game and across the season.

Those "names", for me, are not Panarin, Laf, Trochek or Fox. You may have your own, these are mine IMHO.

It doesn't matter what we do. Even if we win we get the wrong result on the out of town board every night.

I want the 1 seed in the East. Maybe we get it. But Pittsburgh wins every night. So we'd play them because the Isles win every night too so they'll get the #3 Metro slot

If Boston passes us we face Tampa.

First round gonna be a f***ing grind

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here
I think it’s very difficult to keep the intensity level at a high in a long 82 game season. Especially when you’ve clinched weeks ago

Personally I think they’ve done a much better job of it than last year. Their effort and battle level on a whole has been more even under this staff.

It’s easy to focus on the last week of games but when you look at this season it’s been marvelous and they could very well win the presidents trophy and they will break the franchise record for wins. You can’t do that with intensity issues.

It’s more about consistency of play through 60 min. And there have been times throughout the season where I’ve been thoroughly impressed in that department

I think there’s a myriad of factors that go into why there are ups and downs. All teams face it. The Stars were flattened out last night because of Hellybucks great play. It happens to all teams.

I’m almost happy they’ve had some struggles as of late. Let it happen now. They seem to run into patterns of getting hot after shorter periods of losses. They know how to win and what they need to do. They played more as individuals last night and not a team.

The other thing is pressure. Playoff tickets are on sale. Flags and murals are going up. They could be getting tight with the expectations being so high and the black cloud of early elimination from last season hanging over their heads

Last edited:

Chytilmania

Dec 31, 2017
1) What is our record when Miller and Schneider are paired up?
2) What is our record with Jones in the lineup?
3) What is our record with Rempe in the lineup?

Three simple changes the coach needs to make. Doesn’t have to be permanent in the playoffs but this she predominantly be the lineup. Brodz and Gus sit, Trouba third pair with Jones.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
No effort no rings. The NHL has a ton of parity. Almost anyone can be beat by anyone if their effort level isnt there. We are first in points but lose to Columbus. That wasn't an anomaly. The team that wins this season will be the team that works. There are no 1970s habs, 1980s Islanders, or 1980s Oilers that have incredible talent anymore.

Reactions: egelband

Chytilmania

Dec 31, 2017
Wouldn’t be surprised if they are saving their juice for the playoffs. BUT it would be nice to have a little urgency sealing #1 in the East.

They probably think they could show up and beat these teams without trying.

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
This crew is fully matured. This is the season they either break through or fall by the wayside like dozens of other general groups. I’ve got to say, though, I have a feeling our guys are gonna do some damage this spring. The stars align.

jerseyjinx94

I jinx players.
Jan 11, 2012
Miami, FL
I think the concern really stems from one game. There wasn’t intensity issues in the Islanders game. They played well for 40 minutes. It was starting the game that was the issue, sure. Gotta play full 60.

Last night was a debacle. Valiquette said it, they wanted to play an easier game, off the rush, and you just can’t do that in the playoffs. They have to start getting in playoff habits now.

And the panic among fans comes from last year. The team didn’t have it. After a promising 21-22, falling short and exceeding expectations, the team lacked playoff intensity levels vs NJ.

The core (Mika, Kreider, Panarin, Fox, Igor) needs to lead the charge with intensity. They have to set the tone. If the Rangers are going to win it all, it will be led by them.

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
Not sure why anyone would expect the team to play with the same intensity as two teams fighting for a spot in the playoffs. Rangers clinched weeks ago. Isn’t the point to clinch early and give yourself an opportunity to catch your breathe before the playoffs?

Mike in Houston

Apr 20, 2015
Houston, TX
It's discouraging to watch this team no-show when they still have plenty to play for like home ice in the East and perhaps overall #1. Why they must make it harder on themselves I'll never know. Maybe it's what they need to do to themselves, who knows.

Reactions: KOVALEV022473

Mike in Houston

Apr 20, 2015
Houston, TX
Not sure why anyone would expect the team to play with the same intensity as two teams fighting for a spot in the playoffs. Rangers clinched weeks ago. Isn’t the point to clinch early and give yourself an opportunity to catch your breathe before the playoffs?

I don't know about you, but I'd like home ice. This team might find themselves kicking their own ass knowing they had it within their grasp, but blew it. And that's an indictment on the leadership core.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Back to back games, we have heard the players talk to the media about the lack of intensity. They talked about it vs the Islanders and then the next game vs the Flyers tonight, we have the same intensity issues. I doubt it is coaching because we have all seen this with Galant last year. So the question is, what is causing the lack of intensity? Do the players not seem to care? Do they think that relying on their skill alone is gonna help them in the playoffs? Do the players know that relying on Rempe a 21 year old rookie for their intensity is a huge issue. Why is this consistently an issue with this Rangers team? Drury really needs to find players that bring that intensity and gets mad when they lose. Why won’t these players change their game a little bit to improve their intensity? The playoffs is all about intensity. The players should already know this.
Good post generally for a fair topic worth discussing, not ignoring.

At this pt in the season, players = humans, not machines, ok to have the odd shift here and there phoned in. Not whole games by several players at once.

Rempe + Edstrom should be here and playing every game [notwithstanding everybody gets a day off here and there, maintenance].

============
This team is tired. It is not excessively old, but vets are tired, making mistakes or -> subpar effort.
Other than Kreider who is a beast and an exception, we need to deal some of our vet for youth [hungrier/mo energy].

We also need to be smarter.
Wenn is NOT the answer for pivot w/Cuylle + KK.

Reactions: RangersFan1994

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey

BUT.

And it's a big BUT.

I mean the season has really been locked down since like January lol

Reactions: mandiblesofdoom

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here
You dont want to change the approach that got you here, with a chance to end the season with the best record in the LEAGUE - but its hard not to.

Thats why its good this is happening now.

I think theyll be up for the Islanders game. They control their own destiny for the division and the #1 seed. Take care of business tomorrow and then end the season on a high note against Ottawa as a dress rehearsal for the playoffs.

The problem is if they won last night they could have sat some guys on Monday. They may not be able to do that if they need the 2 points to avoid the Lightning

CasusBelli

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 6, 2017
Can’t take the last two games lightly. And pray the refs don’t relax officiating in the playoffs. And dress Rempe. Opponents will take far fewer liberties with him in the lineup.

Reactions: bernmeister

ecemleafs

Jan 4, 2009
New York
Can’t take the last two games lightly. And pray the refs don’t relax officiating in the playoffs. And dress Rempe. Opponents will take far fewer liberties with him in the lineup.
i dont subscribe to the enforcer keeps the other team in line logic, but rempe definitely brings the energy and has the team buzzin when hes in the line up.

EdJovanovski

#RempeForCalder
Apr 26, 2016
The Rempire State
1) What is our record when Miller and Schneider are paired up?
2) What is our record with Jones in the lineup?
3) What is our record with Rempe in the lineup?

Three simple changes the coach needs to make. Doesn’t have to be permanent in the playoffs but this she predominantly be the lineup. Brodz and Gus sit, Trouba third pair with Jones.
Since his call up we’re 12-2-1 with him, 6-5 without him

mandiblesofdoom

May 24, 2012
Maybe wait till the playoffs. They play so many games. In perspective, these ones don't matter so much.

Riche16

McCready guitar god
Aug 13, 2008
The Dreaded Middle
Probably one of those questions that can't / won't be answered until we see how they come out for Rd 1

If they come out with fire in their eyes ready to battle then you chalk this up to knowing theyre in & not being "up" for games that don't matter all that much.

There's also something to be said about NOT limping into the playoffs.

Time will tell I guess.

RempireStateBuilding

Dec 13, 2009
NY
Playoffs are a new season. Would it be a nicer look from a fans' perspective if NYR won out? Sure. Would home ice advantage be nice? Sure. I'm not terribly concerned here though. I'll judge their game in the playoffs by their game in the playoffs, not their game in the regular season.

NYR are gonna play whoever they end up playing. If they're good enough, opponent shouldn't matter or be "scary." If we believe they have Cup aspirations, we also have to believe this team is the best/one of the best in the league. I sure as shit believe that. I don't care where they end up in the seeding or who the end up playing..

just-win-baby-al-davis.gif

SML2

Jan 1, 2018
I know it sounds crazy but Rempe in the lineup is what this team needs. Turns up the heat on everyone. Is he a very good player? Not really. But he's a grenade in the foxhole and makes everyone forget what they are good at on the other team. He may not be a good player but every time he steps on the ice, the crowd goes wild. My only thought with Lavi's hesitation to use him is that he doesn't want that to wear off in regular season games and wants to have it for the playoffs. Its an interesting dynamic, because guys like him generally don't dress in playoff games but what do you do as the opposition if he's in the lineup? If he has put the work in trying to figure out how to br an effective physical force without getting penalized, he's a weapon. People talk about the Tkachuk brothers dragging others into the battle. We need someone to do that for this team because there are too many on this team who just don't get there unless someone is leading them by the nose.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad