NFL: Integrity of the game violated: Dolphins lose 1st in 2023 and 3rd in 2024, owner Stephen Ross suspended and fined

thefutures

Sponsor
Jul 2, 2017
Best part of this for me is the Pat's fans wanting a Brady suspension. Can you tell which side is more bitter since the divorce. LOL

Reactions: Elvis P

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
70's and 80's. Miami went to 6 AFC Championship games in 15 years 5 Super Bowls in 14 years and = Elite!

When I was growing up, the elite franchises were Miami, Pittsburgh, Oakland, Dallas, Minnesota. Pittsburgh and Dallas still are.
Dallas has, what, 1 playoff win in 25 years.

They haven’t been elite since Jimmy Johnson was there.

Interesting that nothing happens to Brady, often takes two to tango in this situation.
If this was Snyder and not Ross they’d just find another patsie like John Gruden.

Depends on how much they like you in this league.

Reactions: Elvis P

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Dallas has remained a factor though and combined with their culturally sustained identity, it’s allowed their national fan base to sustain. The Dolphins don’t have that kind of gravitas, they’ve had nothing for 20 years. But even the Raiders still at least had it.

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
Yeah Dallas is in the Yankees/Lakers tier of being in the conversation regardless of how trash they are.

Miami never came close to building anything like that. They had the glory of the 70s into the greatest QB of all time at that point in Marino but they completely squandered his career.

As said they've been an absolute nonfactor. The only thing that's saved them from complete Jaguars/pre 2020 Browns irrelevancy is the fact they play in a desirable city.

Reactions: TheGreenTBer

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
Wow. I did NOT know that.
The way the media talks about them, you’d think they have won more than that every year.

Dallas has remained a factor though and combined with their culturally sustained identity, it’s allowed their national fan base to sustain. The Dolphins don’t have that kind of gravitas, they’ve had nothing for 20 years. But even the Raiders still at least had it.
That’s true. Which just makes it so much sweeter watching them lose early every single time. Especially after the early 90’s.

Reactions: sigma six

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Interesting that nothing happens to Brady, often takes two to tango in this situation.

I don't think there was any desire from him to join the Fins. I think this this was solely Ross trying to elevate his franchise by signing the GOAT. Goodell would love to get back at Brady a 2nd time so if there was any minor part by him, they would have punished him for it.

Heck, news leaks 24/7 and Brady to the Fins was never mentioned once before this crap happened.

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
I don't think there was any desire from him to join the Fins. I think this this was solely Ross trying to elevate his franchise by signing the GOAT. Goodell would love to get back at Brady a 2nd time so if there was any minor part by him, they would have punished him for it.

Heck, news leaks 24/7 and Brady to the Fins was never mentioned once before this crap happened.
Not sure about that I mean being part owner in the process, might have been hard to pass up. Heck before all this came out, there were reports of Brady being a name to watch for a potential ownership stake in the Dolphins

Recently retired quarterback Tom Brady is reportedly a "name to watch" for a potential ownership stake in the Miami Dolphins if Stephen Ross opts to sell the NFL franchise.

Mike Florio of Pro Football Talk reported Thursday that Ross could decide to sell the organization before the league investigates allegations brought forward by former head coach Brian Flores, including an alleged offer of $100,000 per loss in 2019.

Ross' business partner, Bruce Beal, holds the first right to buy the Dolphins from Ross, and there's a "lingering belief" Beal would sell a small percentage of the team to Brady, per Florio.

So he seems to have an interest in the team potentially.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Not sure about that I mean being part owner in the process, might have been hard to pass up. Heck before all this came out, there were reports of Brady being a name to watch for a potential ownership stake in the Dolphins

So he seems to have an interest in the team potentially.

It could have been a scenario where Ross reached out to him or through an intermediary while he was quasi-retired. Given his choice to come back, I don't think he was all that interested. He'll have his pick of ownership groups when he retires IMO.

SirClintonPortis

ProudCapitalsTraitor
Mar 9, 2011
Maryland native
The way the media talks about them, you’d think they have won more than that every year.

That’s true. Which just makes it so much sweeter watching them lose early every single time. Especially after the early 90’s.
Last good Dallas Cowboy QB=color booth job is waiting for them when they're done.

Division rival of the Pats and intermittent spoiler(like that Wildcat season) to Beli-poo, all while still in Florida? More appealing than it appears, although Tom would have had to switch coasts.

Reactions: Quid Pro Clowe

Unholy Diver

Oct 13, 2002
in the midnight sea
It could have been a scenario where Ross reached out to him or through an intermediary while he was quasi-retired. Given his choice to come back, I don't think he was all that interested. He'll have his pick of ownership groups when he retires IMO.

Supposedly the tampering with Brady also happened when he was under contract in New England as well as more recently

SirClintonPortis

ProudCapitalsTraitor
Mar 9, 2011
Maryland native
No way. The NFL Network is blowing off the rest of his claims? What a surprise.

-------

The NFL should learn a lesson from all of this. Don't mistreat and screw over someone who knows a bunch of dirty secrets.
Flores' suit was a pleiotropic distraction; they knew damn well it was going to arbitration(because the Supreme Court made it the first and only stop for many situations). Even if Wigdor had free time, to pump out a filing in less than a week, with all the details put in and organized, and even some sections copied and pasted, is extremely fast.

The clique of Buffalo, NE, and the NYG had a few things on their to do list, one of which was help Buffalo and NE deal with a chump Dolphins team. The other was to flood the news so the Washington scandal would not be the prominent story. And third, dump on Brady's "retirement" because the salt ran deep.

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
Last good Dallas Cowboy QB=color booth job is waiting for them when they're done.

Division rival of the Pats and intermittent spoiler(like that Wildcat season) to Beli-poo, all while still in Florida? More appealing than it appears, although Tom would have had to switch coasts.
Imagine being a 49er fan and having to see Romo followed by Aikman twice in the playoffs in 3 games. It’d be like Young doing the first Cowboys game followed by Montana doing the next 2, but that would never happen for multiple reasons.

TheGreenTBer

shut off the power while I take a big shit
Apr 30, 2021
Yeah Dallas is in the Yankees/Lakers tier of being in the conversation regardless of how trash they are.

Miami never came close to building anything like that. They had the glory of the 70s into the greatest QB of all time at that point in Marino but they completely squandered his career.

As said they've been an absolute nonfactor. The only thing that's saved them from complete Jaguars/pre 2020 Browns irrelevancy is the fact they play in a desirable city.

Yup.

Say what you will about their product on the field, but off the field and as a brand they simply are the most valuable professional sporting franchise in the world. I may hate them with the passion of a thousand suns but to deny their impact would be just incorrect.

SirClintonPortis

ProudCapitalsTraitor
Mar 9, 2011
Maryland native
Why not offer him a contract in 2020 then when he was a free agent :facepalm: no tampering needed.

Its not like he stated beforehand it was Tampa or nothing.
Businessfolk have a tendency to disregard the rules. Mere practical obstacles to work around.

They can wind up cannibalizing each other because each one thinks they can one up another unless the other party actually fights back.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
Or Payton / Payton's agent for that matter, what were they doing talking to the Dolphins while contracted to other teams?
Agents talk to teams all the time. Usually the GMs are smart enough to discuss things in generalities and hypotheticals to avoid tampering. My son suggested that the discussion with Payton may have been after the Saints season ended which may or may not have been after he announced he was "retired".

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad