Instead of player bios, what about a thread for each player?

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
Lately in the player bio thread, we’ve been talking about how important it is that when a GM completes a player bio, they take all the relevant information already collected on the player and use that as a starting point. The player bio master thread is a useful resource to help with that.

But not everyone creates bios, and often you will come across a piece of information that is very bio-worthy and you don’t own the player or aren’t even currently in a draft. What do you do then? There’s the “Dishing the dirt†thread which is a catch-all random quotes dumping ground, but it’s a mess now. You don’t go in there to find information about any specific player.

In the past, someone talked about starting a “wikia†for player information. I could see this working, but there’s another way to do it that would keep all our efforts on this board – player specific threads.

Imagine, one thread about Wayne Gretzky, one about Bobby Orr, one about Gordie Howe, and so on. Each thread could start with a pasted in bio or two, and then whenever anyone has something to say about a player (whether they are their GM or not, whether it’s anecdotal or statistical in nature, whether it’s positive or negative), they go in this thread and post it. The threads would also encourage discussion. I could go into a Martin Brodeur thread and post a case for why he’s overrated, and someone could come in and reply. Eventually, every player thread has a lot of back and forth in it, as well as stats, quotes from published sources, etc. Any GM interested in drafting them, any opposing GM doing scouting for the playoffs, anyone participating in an HOH project, and any interested lurker can find all relevant info for any player in one place.

The number of replies in each thread would also make it easy for anyone interested in research to identify how much information exists on a player and which players badly need bios created.

It would make a mess of this section, but what a beautiful mess! Looking for a player? Just search for their name in the search bar and say “search thread titles only†and you’ve got him. We could have a standardized format for thread titles:

Wayne Gretzky, C, 1978-1999

This idea is really easy to implement. The hard part is the initial switching over from our old system of recreating bios in single posts year after year, to this one. But the payoff is huge – an awesome repository of player information.

Thoughts?

jarek

Aug 15, 2009
Lately in the player bio thread, we’ve been talking about how important it is that when a GM completes a player bio, they take all the relevant information already collected on the player and use that as a starting point. The player bio master thread is a useful resource to help with that.

But not everyone creates bios, and often you will come across a piece of information that is very bio-worthy and you don’t own the player or aren’t even currently in a draft. What do you do then? There’s the “Dishing the dirt†thread which is a catch-all random quotes dumping ground, but it’s a mess now. You don’t go in there to find information about any specific player.

In the past, someone talked about starting a “wikia†for player information. I could see this working, but there’s another way to do it that would keep all our efforts on this board – player specific threads.

Imagine, one thread about Wayne Gretzky, one about Bobby Orr, one about Gordie Howe, and so on. Each thread could start with a pasted in bio or two, and then whenever anyone has something to say about a player (whether they are their GM or not, whether it’s anecdotal or statistical in nature, whether it’s positive or negative), they go in this thread and post it. The threads would also encourage discussion. I could go into a Martin Brodeur thread and post a case for why he’s overrated, and someone could come in and reply. Eventually, every player thread has a lot of back and forth in it, as well as stats, quotes from published sources, etc. Any GM interested in drafting them, any opposing GM doing scouting for the playoffs, anyone participating in an HOH project, and any interested lurker can find all relevant info for any player in one place.

The number of replies in each thread would also make it easy for anyone interested in research to identify how much information exists on a player and which players badly need bios created.

It would make a mess of this section, but what a beautiful mess! Looking for a player? Just search for their name in the search bar and say “search thread titles only†and you’ve got him. We could have a standardized format for thread titles:

Wayne Gretzky, C, 1978-1999

This idea is really easy to implement. The hard part is the initial switching over from our old system of recreating bios in single posts year after year, to this one. But the payoff is huge – an awesome repository of player information.

Thoughts?

I like this idea but I imagine there would be significant hurdles to overcome to get it approved. The sheer amount of posts that this would encourage would likely require approval of whoever owns HFBoards because it may require an upgrade to their hosting services.

Additionally, the threads would need to be monitored and constantly updated to ensure all relevant information is contained within the first few posts. This would get cumbersome very quickly if a GM would have to read through 300 posts just to get all the information about a player, and I imagine some of them might go a lot longer than that.

Again, great idea, but definitely some administrative hurdles to overcome.

ResilientBeast

Proud Member of the TTSAOA
Jul 1, 2012
Edmonton
I feel like we'd need Fugu and Buffaloed's approval for this we're talking 550 threads that need to be maintained and not purged.

Additionally there are some changes coming to the forum and that transition should occur before we undergo such a restructuring IMO

jarek

Aug 15, 2009
I feel like we'd need Fugu and Buffaloed's approval for this we're talking 550 threads that need to be maintained and not purged.

Additionally there are some changes coming to the forum and that transition should occur before we undergo such a restructuring IMO

550? There's no way it would be only that many. :laugh: I'm thinking closer to 1000+.

jarek

Aug 15, 2009
well this years draft only has 625 players...also fracturing the conversation might be a problem I don't know.

I imagine the bio threads would extend to many MLD players.

To your second point, like I said, lots of extra management of each thread would be required.

ResilientBeast

Jul 1, 2012
Edmonton
I imagine the bio threads would extend to many MLD players.

To your second point, like I said, lots of extra management of each thread would be required.

I wonder if the draft threads will become lesser hotbeds of conversation. I honestly don't find things that hard to find as is.

King Forsberg

16 21 28 44 68 88 93
Jul 26, 2010
If there was a way to make a series of Google Docs that could only be edited by ATD members that may work. That way we wouldn't have this whole board be threads for the players and all the storage wouldn't be on hfboards so that wouldn't be a concern.

jarek

Aug 15, 2009
If there was a way to make a series of Google Docs that could only be edited by ATD members that may work. That way we wouldn't have this whole board be threads for the players and all the storage wouldn't be on hfboards so that wouldn't be a concern.

Well for starters, I think if we did do this on HFBoards, there would have to be a new sub-forum created for it.

ResilientBeast

Jul 1, 2012
Edmonton

Then hfboards dies pretty much except for making picks?

Elvis P

Truth is the first casualty
Dec 10, 2007
Graceland
I feel like we'd need Fugu and Buffaloed's approval for this we're talking 550 threads that need to be maintained and not purged. Additionally there are some changes coming to the forum and that transition should occur before we undergo such a restructuring IMO
Agreed. I was going to post this. Following up on your idea, how do you prevent the old ones from getting purged? Keeping track of 550 threads and when necessary bumping them? I like the current method.

ResilientBeast

Jul 1, 2012
Edmonton
Agreed. I was going to post this. Following up on your idea, how do you prevent the old ones from getting purged? Keeping track of 550 threads and when necessary bumping them? I like the current method.

When threads get purged, HOH and ATD as far as I know get priority when it comes to saving threads. But if we add 550+ more threads I don't know what the higher higher ups will say.

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK

They don't purge the sections that have academic value (HOH, ATD).

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
When threads get purged, HOH and ATD as far as I know get priority when it comes to saving threads. But if we add 550+ more threads I don't know what the higher higher ups will say.

Every single NHL game has at least 2 "GDT" threads that get filled up with incessant chatter (this is 2400 threads each season), I don't see how 1000 threads with 5-10 posts in each is such a big deal

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
I don't see how 1000 threads with 5-10 posts in each is such a big deal
:amazed: Uh,... why not then?!??

As long as the mods are NOT shy about STICKY-ing non-player threads ... and there's one sticky that links every thread (like there is for every ATD bio), then it sounds do-able.

It'd certainly make the offseason more interesting!

(I'd suggest it not start until after the first few rounds of the playoffs when there are tons of playoff threads (unless, of course, all the playoff threads are stickied and the player threads aren't).

Theokritos

Global Moderator
Apr 6, 2010
They don't purge the sections that have academic value (HOH, ATD).

Thanks to a certain HOH mod who set the alarm bells ringing when the last purge was announced and prompted the other mods to object to the site superiors. :naughty:

Maybe a subforum for this?

That's an idea. In fact there has been talk of making the ATD forum a subforum of HOH and it's going to be looked into again once the software changes RB has mentioned are implemented (which should be this summer, if I remember it correctly). How about this: two subforums (subfora, for the Latinists) for HOH, one the ATD subforum, the other a bio subforum.

ResilientBeast

Jul 1, 2012
Edmonton
That's an idea. In fact there has been talk of making the ATD forum a subforum of HOH and it's going to be looked into again once the software changes RB has mentioned are implemented (which should be this summer, if I remember it correctly). How about this: two subforums (subfora, for the Latinists) for HOH, one the ATD subforum, the other a bio subforum.

I think this discussion needs to be halted until the transition anyway.

ResilientBeast

Jul 1, 2012
Edmonton
Why not iron out as many details as possible now?

Seems this idea has a lot of support.

I don't know the exact capabilities of the other forum, if this is sometime people want we can attempt to work it out in time for the next ATD.

jarek

Aug 15, 2009
I don't know the exact capabilities of the other forum, if this is sometime people want we can attempt to work it out in time for the next ATD.

Is there any way we can contact someone with intimate knowledge of the new software?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad