Instant Replay

Monstershockey

Sponsor
Dec 31, 2017
I was just curious about what you think about instant replay. I myself am kind of getting tired of it as I think it is really getting in the way. I get the reasoning about getting the calls right, but I feel they are a little to exact on the calls. Like offsides, if the player is just a hair in front of the puck they will call it off, but with the speed of the game stuff that close should be let go. It seems like replay is becoming too much a part of the game in sports in general. To me, the NFL has become unwatchable with replay as it really hurts the momentum of the game. There is already enough standing around between plays, replay adds more standing around. It seems every year they are trying to add more reviewable plays and I think at some point it is going to really start getting in the way instead of helping.

Reactions: Cyclones Rock

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I was just curious about what you think about instant replay. I myself am kind of getting tired of it as I think it is really getting in the way. I get the reasoning about getting the calls right, but I feel they are a little to exact on the calls. Like offsides, if the player is just a hair in front of the puck they will call it off, but with the speed of the game stuff that close should be let go. It seems like replay is becoming too much a part of the game in sports in general. To me, the NFL has become unwatchable with replay as it really hurts the momentum of the game. There is already enough standing around between plays, replay adds more standing around. It seems every year they are trying to add more reviewable plays and I think at some point it is going to really start getting in the way instead of helping.

They need to stop doing reviews of offsides, that's for sure. It's gotten to the point where I don't even get excited when someone scores, I just start holding my breath right away and wait for a replay.

Reactions: 213 Sentinel

Monstershockey

Sponsor
Dec 31, 2017
Yeah. I hate when teams score a really nice goal and my amazment at how unbelievable some of these young guys can move the puck, it is a total buzzkill when you hear it is going to replay. Especially when you are at the game, it kills the excitement of the moment.

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
One of the best parts of the ECHL was the lack of instant replay. IIRC, it starts in all arenas this year. Not looking forward to it.

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Jan 12, 2011
I've previously stated my dislike for instant replay with a special disdain for offsides. Too often the decision falls on a thin line that would have been virtually impossible for the linesman to detect. The original purpose of this was to rectify an aggregious missed offside.

I'll stand by what I've previously said. If offsides is to be reviewed by replay, the play should be reviewed ONLY at full speed. Eliminate the slo-mo and stop action looks which leads to calls that weren't in the spirit of the original implementation.

Old Guy

Just waitin' on my medication.
Aug 30, 2015
I do not want instant replay eliminated. Rather, I want it modified. I would still be in favor of replay for offsides. But change the rule that the offsides must be egregious. That means, if you can't be certain if a skate is above the ice or touching the ice, that can never be egregious, therefore the call on the ice stands. If a puck comes out of the zone by a whisker and the linesman misses it, play continues for another 20 seconds and a goal is scored, that is not egregious and cannot nullify the goal. (I cite as my example when the puck just barely slid out on Zach during Tampa game #4 and Cooper challenged the subsequent goal).

I want replay for when a teammate's own stick hits another teammate, but the opponent is whistled for a stick violation. This should be reviewable. The cite here was (I think) Dubinsky stick foul on Edmonton was called, but it was clear his own teammate got him.

In short, I want instant replay to fix the egregious stuff. The puck in the netting against Boston and everybody stopping except Artemi should be reviewable.

Oh......PS. Several years ago, The AHL experimented with a green line behind the goal line. If the puck touched the green line, it had to be fully over the goal line. Implement that.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
I do not want instant replay eliminated. Rather, I want it modified. I would still be in favor of replay for offsides. But change the rule that the offsides must be egregious. That means, if you can't be certain if a skate is above the ice or touching the ice, that can never be egregious, therefore the call on the ice stands. If a puck comes out of the zone by a whisker and the linesman misses it, play continues for another 20 seconds and a goal is scored, that is not egregious and cannot nullify the goal. (I cite as my example when the puck just barely slid out on Zach during Tampa game #4 and Cooper challenged the subsequent goal).
I think you'd need more stringent standards than that, but there's an easy one I can think of, based on the Duchene-versus-Preds goal that started this mess. Basically, if the potentially offside player is clearly on one side of the line and the puck is clearly on the other - no touching - then it can be reviewed. Otherwise, linesman's discretion, live with it.

Monstershockey

Sponsor
Dec 31, 2017

I want replay for when a teammate's own stick hits another teammate, but the opponent is whistled for a stick violation. This should be reviewable. The cite here was (I think) Dubinsky stick foul on Edmonton was called, but it was clear his own teammate got him.

In short, I want instant replay to fix the egregious stuff. The puck in the netting against Boston and everybody stopping except Artemi should be reviewable.

Oh......PS. Several years ago, The AHL experimented with a green line behind the goal line. If the puck touched the green line, it had to be fully over the goal line. Implement that.
I understand what you are saying with the egregious stuff being called and I agree with it, but then you are opening a whole can of worms on what is considered egregious. Kind of like the catch rule in football. No one can make up there mind about a true definition of a catch, then it becomes a judgement call based on who is reviewing it. If they can come up with a definate meaning of egregious, and stick to their definition, then I am all for it. But if it is a judgement call, and it keeps changing based on who is reviewing it, then I would rather it be in the refs or linesmans hands. As much as we all complain about the officiating, overall, considering how fast the game has gotten, I think they do a pretty good job.
Changing the thought for a bit, I do like how they made it a penalty if you challenge offsides on a goal and are wrong. That really cut down on those challenges. They really have to be sure it is going to get overturned before they decide to challenge it.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Reviews are fine. The amount of time it takes for them is not. Stay onside, stay off the goalie, and there's no issue. However, further technology needs to go in to help on the very close offsides calls where you leg is up or whatever.

However, I think a wrong challenge should result in a penalty every time. Losing the timeout is meaningless, especially now that you can't call them after an icing call.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018

That still means lengthy reviews, just moves the bar by changing what counts as offsides. I have a better solution: change the definition of offsides so that a play is offsides if judged to be offsides at the moment by the linesman. :laugh: They'll catch the egregious offsides, which they've always been good at. The one famous Duchene goal is proof of how rare egregious offsides were, it was one of a kind. I remember clearly that there wasn't a problem needing to be fixed. But I suppose this is what happens when you put a bunch of lawyers in charge of a hockey league.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
The whole idea is stupid. I mean some of the foals happen 30 seconds latee. Let the linesmen make their call and move on.

Reactions: majormajor

Long Live Lyle

Feb 10, 2019
Chicago, IL
I've previously stated my dislike for instant replay with a special disdain for offsides. Too often the decision falls on a thin line that would have been virtually impossible for the linesman to detect. The original purpose of this was to rectify an aggregious missed offside.

I'll stand by what I've previously said. If offsides is to be reviewed by replay, the play should be reviewed ONLY at full speed. Eliminate the slo-mo and stop action looks which leads to calls that weren't in the spirit of the original implementation.

Completely agree (and also the same for the new hand pass review rule), but I’ll go even further and say, if goalie interference is allowed to be reviewed, only full speed should be allowed for that. Often, seeing contact at slow-mo can distort (in favor of either the attacking team or defending team) what actually happened/the amount of impact the bump made on the play.

The only thing slow-mo should be used for is pucks directly entering the net (i.e., to see if the puck fully crossed the line and/or to see if the puck crossed the line before time expired).

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
Completely agree (and also the same for the new hand pass review rule), but I’ll go even further and say, if goalie interference is allowed to be reviewed, only full speed should be allowed for that. Often, seeing contact at slow-mo can distort (in favor of either the attacking team or defending team) what actually happened/the amount of impact the bump made on the play.

The only thing slow-mo should be used for is pucks directly entering the net (i.e., to see if the puck fully crossed the line and/or to see if the puck crossed the line before time expired).

You guys are hired to make NHL replays policy. I'll call up my buddy Gary B and get this done.

Seriously, all of your suggestions are very sound and if implemented would not only hasten the glacial replay process but come as close as reasonably possible in making the right call within common sense guidelines.

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Jan 12, 2011

Agree. I like and support both of your additional points.

Reactions: Long Live Lyle

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad