TSN: Insider trading: Expect Nyquist to still be traded, stashed on LTIR until playoffs.

Doubledose

Oct 14, 2021
No they aren't especially not the Patrick Kane example
This is about hiding someone on ltir till playoffs.

Kane and Kuch is same thing.

The ltir/retire is different because it's not hiding and using for playoffs (muzzin Horton savard pronger etc)
Those guys weren't expected to be back

Reactions: violaswallet

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
Yes, they did, without that they couldn't have added Foligno, or any of the other pieces they did.

Again, No. Trading for a LTIR contract does not increase a team's free cap space. The LTIR player's cap hit counts in full. LTIR relief essentially is covering the player's own contract.

For Toronto the change in free cap space was +$2.75M Nash contract minus $2.75M LTIR relief = net change in free cap space of $0.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
..or when Hossa suddenly got an allergy.... :D The league is full of such gong-shows.. Everyone knows it, the league knows it...But everyone pretends they know nothing....:naughty:

That was my favorite one because they didn't even try to make that legitimate

Space umpire

Nov 15, 2018
Cocoa Beach, Florida
They didn't do anything when Chicago did it with Kane.
Chicago didn’t “do it” with Kane.
You’re comparing apples to battleships.
Kane returned 2 weeks EARLIER than expected from the shoulder injury.
Kucherov, from the time he had the surgery had an expected return right at the end of the season. Then when Covid shut down some games and forced the regular season to run a week (10 days I believe) longer amazingly Kucherov’s had a minor set back and his return was pushed back.

drw02

Aug 10, 2013
Not sure why a playoff team would bother acquiring a mediocre player who will have sat out the last few months of the season and will need weeks to get back into game shape and get his timing right as well as having to familiarize himself with new systems and linemates

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
This reminds me of what Toronto did with Reilly Nash, they acquired him to increase their LTIR space.
That went swimmingly. :sarcasm:

Honestly, every time the Leafs get cute at the deadline, like Nash or try something like sign Calle Johansson out of Europe for the playoffs, then mess up the chemistry of the lineup because they barely play with the team…. Well it never works out.

JTBF81

Dec 6, 2018
Tampa, FL.
No, not different at all between Kuch and Kane. Kuch's recovery was on the normal, if not earlier than expected, timetable for the type of injury and surgery he had. He had different levels of skating/non contact drills and practices leading up to being cleared, but the actual time he missed was basically the amount of time that was stated in December. There was no convenient setback either to give him more time. This type of injury and rehab usually takes at least 4 months minimum, and Kuch was back in 4.5.

Reactions: Master P

JTBF81

Dec 6, 2018
Tampa, FL.
Tampa could probably make a trade work for him, but with him likely returning before the playoffs, it wouldn't be worth the gamble for them.

Barnaby

Jul 2, 2003
Port Jefferson, NY
Conditional pick based on how many games the player plays in the playoffs and how many rounds the team wins.
I think he could be a good low cost acquisition for NY, but it’d have to be completely conditional. Future considerations if he never suits up. Escalators based on games played and rounds won to really lift the value to maybe as much as a 3rd or 4th. Conference finals and maybe 60 to 70% of games played.

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
..or when Hossa suddenly got an allergy.... :D The league is full of such gong-shows.. Everyone knows it, the league knows it...But everyone pretends they know nothing....:naughty:

I don't understand why people have such a problem with what Tampa did, It's not like It's something only Tampa does or is allowed to do.

Chicago with Hossa, after Hossa actual NHL salary went from 4 million to 1 million magically became allergic to his own sweat, a condition that was never mentioned during his 20 year career but the year he takes a 75% pay cut he's now magically allergic to his own sweat, that was hilarious they didn't even try there.

Zetterberg went from playing nearly every game, If not every game to having to take a 50% pay cut and now his back is hurt.

Point is this isn't a Tampa thing.

Hossa had the allergy for years. (I love the Doctor Detectives of the HF mainboards.)

3753CD50-02B9-42C4-965D-0A25AF470894.jpeg
EB9C02B1-BBA0-4DF2-B5A3-14D510B1FF60.jpeg
FD65B829-3FB7-4546-9E78-D3E1E7A6C937.jpeg
6C5C021F-2FC1-47B4-9EEE-CA4C184B9E38.jpeg
D6F9A6EF-73FB-42D1-AE94-B9F9E13AD2DC.jpeg
2747CA91-15C3-4101-84A7-8DD7466D3366.jpeg
08AA02AD-C255-4ACC-A7C3-B38763786118.jpeg
6E1B2980-0066-4522-A407-8796A1688F97.jpeg
BDF86806-94A4-44A2-8FDF-A23D1053F656.jpeg

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
I've seen some people complaining about Tampa and what they did with Kucherov in this thread.

What did they do wrong exactly? They did something that is allowable within the rules. I don't really understand why people complain about this.

With regards to Nyqvist, if you can LTIR him until playoffs and only have to give up something small to get him, I think it would be a great move.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
I've seen some people complaining about Tampa and what they did with Kucherov in this thread.

What did they do wrong exactly? They did something that is allowable within the rules. I don't really understand why people complain about this.

With regards to Nyqvist, if you can LTIR him until playoffs and only have to give up something small to get him, I think it would be a great move.
I totally agree with this too. Do people think that injuries are made up?

Even in a case where the player doesn't come back, but could, in those cases do we think injury recovery is an on/off switch? Even if a player is good enough to play that doesn't mean they are truly 100%, and there may be a window at first where there is risk of re-aggravation, and so taking extra time for rehab and conditiioning isn't made up. It's not even suspicious to me at all if they start game 1 of the first round. All that means is that the risk is worth it then, but wasn't worth it for a regular season game that didn't matter to them.

There also isn't really a medical scanner or other method for a doctor to declare that a player must play next game. Their evaluations will largely depend on what the player says they are comfortable with.

Mostly though, the whole LTIR system has some flaws to it. If a player becomes ready for play with a couple weeks left in the season, what can a team really do? The trade deadline has passed. To just say "too bad, so sad" isn't an answer. The league doesn't want awkward situations like that to actually come to pass and they should look the other way if things don't line up properly.

Magic Man

Mar 30, 2012
Your Worst Nightmare
Dubas is a bit of a creature of habit. He loves Soo Greyhound alumni and he is notorious for his trade down schemes. Last time this happened was when Toronto acquired Riley Nash who played with the Columbus Blue Jackets at the time. I think it's likely that Dubas tries to hook up with Jarmo again.

For a 4th rounder or so, it's a decent gamble.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Dubas is a bit of a creature of habit. He loves Soo Greyhound alumni and he is notorious for his trade down schemes. Last time this happened was when Toronto acquired Riley Nash who played with the Columbus Blue Jackets at the time. I think it's likely that Dubas tries to hook up with Jarmo again.

For a 4th rounder or so, it's a decent gamble.

I agree but with Nash he also expanded their LTIR space,would that be the plan here

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
I agree but with Nash he also expanded their LTIR space,would that be the plan here
But he also takes up the same amount of expanded LTIR space.

They gain 0 cap space from adding someone to LTIR.

When players go on LTIR, their cap space doesnt come off, you're just allowed to exceed the cap by what their cap hit was.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad