Goalies: Inline Goalie Kinda Stinks: Advice?

CunniJA

Mar 28, 2012
Estes Park, Colorado
So, I started playing goalie for my ice team sometimes this past season and a bunch of friends and I play quite a bit of roller hockey for fun now that the weather is starting to get warmer again.

Playing goalie for roller seems pretty janky compared to ice. The inability to slide, move quickly side to side, etc. is pretty lame. That's not to say it isn't fun. But, what kinds of things can you do as a goalie to make this adjustment?

Crosbyfan

Nov 27, 2003
So, I started playing goalie for my ice team sometimes this past season and a bunch of friends and I play quite a bit of roller hockey for fun now that the weather is starting to get warmer again.

Playing goalie for roller seems pretty janky compared to ice. The inability to slide, move quickly side to side, etc. is pretty lame. That's not to say it isn't fun. But, what kinds of things can you do as a goalie to make this adjustment?

Are you on your feet or on rollers?

DustersAnonymous

Let the Larsson Play
Apr 26, 2013
New Jersey
I'm not sure exactly what they're called, but you can buy "sliders" to attach to your pads. It allows you to slide post to post on roller tile (sport court and the like) but it's not the same as ice by any means. The goalies I know that use them swear by them though. It's a low friction plastic mold that affixes to the inner sides of the pads. If I remember the name of the product I'll be sure to edit and update the post.

http://www.inlinewarehouse.com/Rollerfly_Hockey_Goalie_Slide_Plates/descpage-RLRFLY.html
"Slide Plates" was what I was looking for. Now this is just one example, but you get the idea.

Last edited:

Beezeral

Mar 1, 2010

Grew up playing roller hockey before transitioning to ice. Roller requires a more stand up/hybrid style. In terms of movement, your c-cuts and t-glides stay the same. Instead of shuffling, you have to pick your lead foot up and step over.

In terms of sliding you already know that it doesn't happen. Once you go into a butterfly, you get about a foot of sliding before you come to a grinding stop. Movement while in the butterfly is extremely different but possible. This is where playing a Hasek type style comes into play. You are better off flopping around a bit or doing a barrel roll to get from one post to the other. Playing goalie in roller is a different experience but in my opinion really beneficial to the development of a young goalie. It forces you to get out of your comfort zone because technique and proper positioning only get you so far. You have to be willing to improvise on the spot and it forces you to improve your flexibility as well as your agility to make saves.

Beezeral

Mar 1, 2010
I'm not sure exactly what they're called, but you can buy "sliders" to attach to your pads. It allows you to slide post to post on roller tile (sport court and the like) but it's not the same as ice by any means. The goalies I know that use them swear by them though. It's a low friction plastic mold that affixes to the inner sides of the pads. If I remember the name of the product I'll be sure to edit and update the post.

If he's playing outdoors, sliders won't help nearly as much. Different surface completely than sport court

CunniJA

Mar 28, 2012
Estes Park, Colorado
Grew up playing roller hockey before transitioning to ice. Roller requires a more stand up/hybrid style. In terms of movement, your c-cuts and t-glides stay the same. Instead of shuffling, you have to pick your lead foot up and step over.

In terms of sliding you already know that it doesn't happen. Once you go into a butterfly, you get about a foot of sliding before you come to a grinding stop. Movement while in the butterfly is extremely different but possible. This is where playing a Hasek type style comes into play. You are better off flopping around a bit or doing a barrel roll to get from one post to the other. Playing goalie in roller is a different experience but in my opinion really beneficial to the development of a young goalie. It forces you to get out of your comfort zone because technique and proper positioning only get you so far. You have to be willing to improvise on the spot and it forces you to improve your flexibility as well as your agility to make saves.

Thanks a lot for this input. I usually butterfly quite a bit on ice, so it will take some getting used to. I have definitely noticed that once you go down into the butterfly, you're pretty much down and out and need to flop a bit to make any second saves it seems.

Beezeral

Mar 1, 2010
Thanks a lot for this input. I usually butterfly quite a bit on ice, so it will take some getting used to. I have definitely noticed that once you go down into the butterfly, you're pretty much down and out and need to flop a bit to make any second saves it seems.

one thing i would immediately do (if you are serious about hockey and own expensive ice equipment) is spend the money on a second set of leg pads as well as glove and blocker and get a cheap stick.

outdoor surfaces will absolutely ruin your equipment. just go to any store that sells used stuff and grab the cheapest, but least worn down gear you can find. that way the equipment that gets all scraped up is not your "A" gear. my roller hockey pads got to the point where the stuffing was falling out because bottoms were all torn up

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad