Injury Report: Injury Thread 2015-2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lame Lambert

Fire Lou
Mar 5, 2015
Jaroslav Halak: DTD with upper body injury; Practicing with team; Berube claimed off waivers, Williams still on roster

Thomas Hickey: Out 4-6 weeks with upper body injury; Pulock still on roster

If whoever did this last year wants to do it this year just let me know and the mods can close it. Just wanted some place to discuss the severity of Halak's injury.

Last edited:

First Blood

The Greiss Is Right!
Feb 17, 2014
Bradenton, FL
http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=782226&navid=nhl:topheads

Islanders goalie Halak uncertain for opener: report

The status of injured New York Islanders goalie Jaroslav Halak for their season opener Friday against the Chicago Blackhawks remains unknown.

"He got a good sweat in the past couple days down [at the U.S. Naval Academy in Annapolis, Md.], he did a lot of work, he was on the ice early," coach Jack Capuano told Newsday on Wednesday (the Islanders were there for a team-building retreat). "We'll have to see how he feels tomorrow and then tie it all together."

Halak has been bothered by an upper-body injury for two weeks. It limited him to two periods in the preseason.

The season opener will be the Islanders’ first game at Barclays Center in Brooklyn after moving from Nassau County after 43 years. Backup Thomas Greiss would get his first start with New York if Halak is deemed unable to play.

"You don't want to rush things, especially with a guy in that important position for us," Capuano said.

Halak was 38-17-4 with a 2.43 goals-against average and .914 save percentage in 59 games in 2014-15, his first season with New York.

The Islanders claimed goalie Jean-Francois Berube off waivers from the Los Angeles Kings on Tuesday. The 24-year-old helped Manchester of the American Hockey League win the Calder Cup last season, going 13-3 with a 2.30 GAA and .898 save percentage in 17 playoff games

It's gonna be a long year if Halak cannot stay healthy. If he absolutely cannot go Friday, there should be no reason to force him to play. We desperately need a healthy Halak.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
It's gonna be a long year if Halak cannot stay healthy. If he absolutely cannot go Friday, there should be no reason to force him to play. We desperately need a healthy Halak.

So a guy might have a minor injury and you want to force him to play? Wouldn't that increase his chances of getting injured more.

airbus220

Feb 19, 2012
Friday is Greiss' day and Saturday Berube, that's why they claimed him, and then the schedule is not so bad, enough time for Halak to get healthy for the next back to back October 24.

Words Of Wisdom

Truth Speaker
Oct 20, 2011
Long Island.
I'm a big fan of Halak's. For the most part, he's a very good goalie. Possibly a top ten goalie (debatable). When he's on, he's shutdown and will make incredible saves. When he's off, he's really bad. Two things Halak has really struggled with throughout his career is consistently and durability. If he's out, that's pretty crappy. Not only do we need to come out of the gates guns blazing (Cowboys fans you'll like that one!) but we got the defending champs twice in a row who are now hungry since they lost to the Rangers. Not to mention, it's the first game in Brooklyn, it would have been nice to have our starting goalie. Let's hope he's okay though. Is it all but confirmed that he's gonna be out?

airbus220

Feb 19, 2012
Two things Halak has really struggled with throughout his career is consistently and durability.

Yes durability, that's why they should not play him so much.
Because he got already injured they should be cautious, only 48 games for Halak.

crasherino

May 9, 2013
Friday is Greiss' day and Saturday Berube, that's why they claimed him, and then the schedule is not so bad, enough time for Halak to get healthy for the next back to back October 24.

Well, at most he's getting one game this weekend. I'm guessing Greiss gets Friday and gives Halak an extra day to recover and see how he feels. If there are no ill effects today/tomorrow, give Halak's Saturday's game.

crasherino

May 9, 2013
Keep Halak off the ice until he is 100%

I agree but it sounds like he's at or close to 100% pending how his recovery is from a few days of intense work. If there are no setbacks/ill effects, seems like he's ready to go.

enigmatic

Fire me please
Jul 7, 2009
nyc
jaro has been on the ice for a few consecutive days....i would assume he will play one of the back to back.....fair to assume?

eoin92

Jun 14, 2013
jaro has been on the ice for a few consecutive days....i would assume he will play one of the back to back.....fair to assume?

What's going on with this? Was greiss so unimpressive that here considering cutting him loose? Or did they just pick up berube in case halak couldn't go and they're going to cut him loose?

enigmatic

Fire me please
Jul 7, 2009
nyc
What's going on with this? Was greiss so unimpressive that here considering cutting him loose? Or did they just pick up berube in case halak couldn't go and they're going to cut him loose?

nah, i would imagine that the signing of the FA was just a combo of some scout liking him and being cautious just in case halak is out for bit/re-aggrivates the injury....im cautiously optimistic with jaro being on the ice for a few straight days

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011

They probably want to give Halak an extra few days to ensure he is 100% healthy, so they claimed Berube to play the back end of the back to back. Berube will probably be on waivers Monday with Halak making the start on Monday.

BillD

Feb 12, 2004
So it begins.

Mods, shouldn't this pathetic thread be made a sticky?

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009
Really need the boys to make up for Halak.

If he's two weeks out, so be it but compensate for him please.

And once he's back he better be lights out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad