Injury prone players

Raistlin

Aug 25, 2006
I want to know what other fans think of bringing in players with a severe injury history.

While I dont want to include a great player like Tanev into that category. he does have a history of getting hurt while with us. partly to do with his style of play, but probably also with all the travel and time zone changes we do, giving less recovery time to players in general, something that Gillis did a lot of work on.

I also see quite a few canuck fans very interested in bring in a player like Kane, or more recently Byram. I've always maintained that he has 0 value, I mean, not even a 5th rounder, until he can string together a full season or two of injury free play. Because I've been quite critical on his case in general, I want to just post on canuck board because I know Avs fans will swarm on this topic.

My stance is that why invest on a player that is one or more head hits from retiring? players like Crosby dealt with concussions early on and recovered because he adjusted his style of game, Kariya was not as lucky. These are forwards. Byram has very severe concussion history multiple times in succession. as a person that had 1 severe concussion in my life, I really cannot imagine him playing physically AT ALL, but its something that his success is predicated upon. So now avs fans think hes is not the same player he used to be this year, which is probably him trying to change the way he approaches the game, or hes playing through another concussion, I wont be surprised at all.

Not all injuries are the same, grade 2+ concussions and hip resurfacing surgeries are similar in that you don't generally recover from those unscathed.

Tanev is more general wear and tear, hes the toughest SOB I've seen, but he is a one year signing at 34.

Do you think Canucks are at a stage where they should be taking these chances? giving up picks to take on the risk of n injury prone player?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad