Injury factor?

Goonface2k14

Nov 25, 2009
Maple Leaf Gardens
So as the Leafs have come back down to earth recently in terms of their W-L record, my always-optimistic-early-in-the-season brain got to thinking of why the days ahead should be better and heck, maybe we'll actually see this team outshoot its opponent on consecutive nights for once.

With Clarkson, Fraser and Kulemin all hopefully returning in the next week or so, I figured perhaps I'd see if the Leafs have been hit with the injury bug more than other teams, which may be a contributing factor to their poor puck possession and shot totals. I'd like to think all three of these injured players contribute positively to those categories relative to their replacements, although there may be some blue kool aid mixed into that thinking.

Before I list my thoughts on each team's injury woes or lack thereof, of course, I get that the cliche response to injuries is that every team goes through them, and its no excuse. Nobody wants to open up the temptation to make excuses, as it can have an adverse effect on the mindset of the team. However, the reality is that its still something that can be measured, although somewhat subjectively. This is based on players currently listed as injured on tsn.ca, so it ignores anyone who might have missed time and just came back (e.g. JVR for two games), and I'm ignoring anyone who recently got hurt.

Looking through the list, I see that the following teams have regulars (guys who at the very least are worth as much as Fraser is to the Leafs) out of the lineup:

Ducks - Sbisa, Souray, Faskth
Sabres - Leino
Flames - Cammalleri, Stajan
Hurricanes - Pitkanen
Columbus - Horton
Dallas - Lehtonen
Oilers - Gagner
Wild - Rupp
Canadiens - Emelin
Devils - Clowe
Rangers- Nash, Hagelin, Callahan
Flyers - Lecavalier, Hartnell
Penguins - Letang, Neal
Sharks - Torres, Havlat
Lightning - Ohlund
Canucks - Burrows

If I missed someone please let me know, but I think that captures most players who have decent value to their team and have missed a relatively significant amount of time.

With that, I'd say the Flyers, Penguins and Rangers can use the injury "excuse" more than anyone else. Especially the Rangers, considering how much Nash and Callahan mean to that club. The Penguins are still deep in offense as long as Sid and Geno are in the lineup, as they make everyone around them better. Neal and Letang are big losses, but the Jokinens and Niskanens on their squad are able to pick up that slack. The Flyers are in trouble even with Lecavalier and Hartnell in the lineup, but those guys are significant enough to their team to have an adverse impact when they're on the IR.

You could argue about the Flames and Columbus having some significant guys injured, but who cares about them. Perhaps the Oilers miss Gagner, but overall that team has more issues than that. If Hall misses time with his knee injury, they are in tough.

So, with the above in mind, I'd say the Leafs would come after the Rangers, Flyers and Penguins in trying to rank teams that have been adversely affected by injuries.

Hopefully that means they've gotten by so far with a bit of a limp, and the gritty reinforcements due back soon will give them a nice boost in the right direction, barring any other unfortunate mishaps.

Thoughts?

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
I think the JVR injury pushed them over the edge a bit for the last few games, because that was pretty much all of our top-9 size and strength in the press box.

but, in general, a team's going to have to be prepated to deal with missing a couple of guys like Clarson/Kuly for most of the season. Rarely do you play extended stretches fully healthy.

Goonface2k14

Nov 25, 2009
Maple Leaf Gardens
I think the JVR injury pushed them over the edge a bit for the last few games, because that was pretty much all of our top-9 size and strength in the press box.

but, in general, a team's going to have to be prepated to deal with missing a couple of guys like Clarson/Kuly for most of the season. Rarely do you play extended stretches fully healthy.

Totally agree - in general the roster is probably a good representation of a typical NHL lineup during the season, where a few regular guys are shelved. It truly is a revolving door.

I'm just trying to microanalyze a little bit, and point out that our shelved guys are perhaps more valuable to our team than the typical injured guy on any other team right now, aside from NYR, Pit and Phi.

NightTrain1

Oct 20, 2013
I agree the Leafs injuries are probably worse overall than most teams in the league to this point.

It's not just about points or skill, but the overall emotion and secondary skills that a player brings and can't be replaced.

Kulemin for example. He is a big part of our checking group and hard forechecker. He had the second most hits of forwards behind Komarov last season, and it can be sure that he also hits far harder than most of our forwards. He also has the veteran experience that can't be replaced by a young fill-in. His absence is a much larger loss in the ice than it would appear on paper.

Fraser brings that mean, tough checking that someone like Franson (who is hitting a lot) still doesn't instill a lot of fear in opposing players. As a lot of players won't want to get right back up in his face afterwards.

Of course not having Komarov in the first place is a huge hit to our grit and grinding style, but especially when his more offensively talented replacement hasn't even set foot on the ice.

Mclaren is our true heavyweight now, as Colton just doesn't have the same juice as before. But when Colton Orr and Mclaren are on the ice hitting and throwing weight, the whole team walks a little bit taller.

It all explains why the Leafs appear to be lacking any identity or directions. Right now they aren't an in your face, bashing, fighting, hitting rough team. They are simply a team that hits a lot.

FlareKnight

Jun 26, 2006
Alberta
Injuries definitely haven't helped. You keep having to bring in guys from the Marlies, lose a lot of size and experience and that will cost you at least somewhat.

Though at some level I think the Clarkson suspension has been harder since there's no way to erase that caphit while he sits and that made everything tighter.

Can't go through a year without injuries, but losing those kinds of guys will have an impact on the style of game you are playing out there.

Coatsy79

May 14, 2011
Uk
Yeah we've lost a lot of our gritty guys which has effected the style in which the leafs play

I think we miss Kule more than anyone and possibly Fraser, it'll be interesting to see what difference Clarkson makes to the lineup also

frankthetank91

Jul 30, 2011
Fortunately for us, despite how many injuries we had this last week, with our depth we still can manage to ice a DECENT looking roster on paper. Wouldn't be able to say that if this happened in past years.

My Sweet Shadow

Sep 5, 2008
Sioux Lookout, ON
5 guys from our line-up against Chicago played the entire season last year in either the AHL or Junior (Ranger, Leivo, Bodie, Rielly, Broll). 6 guys from the line-up against Carolina (Ranger, Smith...minus 1 game, Leivo, Ashton, Rielly, Broll). I'd say that's bound to have an impact on puck-possession and defensive play.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
5 guys from our line-up against Chicago played the entire season last year in either the AHL or Junior (Ranger, Leivo, Bodie, Rielly, Broll). 6 guys from the line-up against Carolina (Ranger, Smith...minus 1 game, Leivo, Ashton, Rielly, Broll). I'd say that's bound to have an impact on puck-possession and defensive play.

05:32 CHI B. Bickell (1) Wrist shot - ASST: A. Shaw (3), M. Kruger (2) 1 - 0 CHI
07:03 TOR PPG - N. Kadri (3) Tip-in - ASST: J. Lupul (4), C. Franson (7) 1 - 1 Tie
10:28 CHI M. Kostka (1) Wrist shot - ASST: B. Pirri (1), N. Leddy (2) 2 - 1 CHI
16:49 CHI PPG - B. Pirri (2) Tip-in - ASST: B. Saad (4), N. Leddy (3) 3 - 1 CHI

Shaw, Kruger, Pirri, Saad, Leddy

16 Marcus Kruger CHI C May 27 '90
8 Nick Leddy CHI D Mar 20 '91
37 Brandon Pirri CHI C Apr 10 '91
65 Andrew Shaw CHI C Jul 20 '91
20 Brandon Saad CHI L Oct 27 '92

Maybe it is drafting?

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
05:32 CHI B. Bickell (1) Wrist shot - ASST: A. Shaw (3), M. Kruger (2) 1 - 0 CHI
07:03 TOR PPG - N. Kadri (3) Tip-in - ASST: J. Lupul (4), C. Franson (7) 1 - 1 Tie
10:28 CHI M. Kostka (1) Wrist shot - ASST: B. Pirri (1), N. Leddy (2) 2 - 1 CHI
16:49 CHI PPG - B. Pirri (2) Tip-in - ASST: B. Saad (4), N. Leddy (3) 3 - 1 CHI

Shaw, Kruger, Pirri, Saad, Leddy

16 Marcus Kruger CHI C May 27 '90
8 Nick Leddy CHI D Mar 20 '91
37 Brandon Pirri CHI C Apr 10 '91
65 Andrew Shaw CHI C Jul 20 '91
20 Brandon Saad CHI L Oct 27 '92

Maybe it is drafting?

Please stop mentioning Saad, we owned that draft slot at one time (.

We moved it as part of the Kessel chain reaction of trades.

HeroNtF

Jul 9, 2012
I think more than anything else that effects us is the cap. Can we afford another injury ? I think this hamlocks us in our effectiveness to be able to play our game, a rough and tough style that may see players injured for a couple games.

I think when we get these players back their own boost to the team will be seen, and also the way carlyle runs this team, and will expect them to be playing tough hockey like last year.

Ace88*

We've been incredibly lucky the past few seasons with injuries, none of our major guys missed any significant time besides Lupul and Phaneuf for a few weeks. A lot of other teams really suffered from injury. Look at the Wild in 2011-2012, they were completely emaciated by injuries.

So it's not surprise to me that we're finally feeling the effects of Old Man Injury. We've been overdue for some key pieces to go down. Hopefully though moving forward this team can stay relatively healthy because we sure as hell need the depth.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
Injuries have played a bigger factor than they should have due to our lack of quality replacements .

It's one thing trying to replace a star player but when your team notices Fraser out of the line up you know you have little on the farm that can step in and help .

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
We've been incredibly lucky the past few seasons with injuries, none of our major guys missed any significant time besides Lupul and Phaneuf for a few weeks.

That's not really true at all.

Leafs haven't been super unlucky, but haven't been lucky either.

11-12

Reimer: ~30gms
Lupul: 16gms
Liles: 16gms
Kuly: 12gms
Bozak: 9gms
Mac: 9gms
Gunnar: 6gms

12-13

Gardiner*: 36gms* (maybe not fair to allocate all those games to injury, but without the concussion he's likely with the leafs all year)
Lupul: 32gms
Gunnar: 11gms
Frattin: ~20gms
Reimer: ~10gms
Liles: ~10gms
Mac: ~8gms

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad