Info on Christian Folin

TB87

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn
May 30, 2018
Hi! I'm a Flyers fan and I'm looking for some info on Christian Folin. Haven't seen him play too much so the only thing I have to go off of when analyzing his game is his advanced stats. What kind of player did the Flyers pick up in free agency? Also, what should I expect to see from him when he makes his way into the lineup?

KingsHockey24

Aug 1, 2013
I thought I already told you guys over on your forum.

He's a very solid bottom pairing defensemen, would have liked to have him back but the orginzation wants Paul LaDue to get more ice-time.

Think Luke Schenn but a better at skater and better in general.

TB87

May 30, 2018
I thought I already told you guys over on your forum.

He's a very solid bottom pairing defensemen, would have liked to have him back but the orginzation wants Paul LaDue to get more ice-time.

Think Luke Schenn but a better at skater and better in general.

I'm relatively new to hfboards. New to navigating the site and whatnot. So, I didn't see your post in the Flyers forum. Thanks for the info!

goosh

Nov 25, 2010
Great skater for his size, moves the puck quickly and makes good decisions in his own zone. Wouldn't expect much offense, but he's a good third-pairing dman in my eyes.

Reactions: resurrected

member 88115

He is a good 3rd pairing defensive d-man. Can PK and make the 1st pass out of the zone. You don't want him to skate the puck out of the zone cause opposing players will easily pock check the puck away from him. Great open ice hitter, but will not win many fights. He will need a good skating partner because if played with another slow player, they will get eaten alive by most all speed type lines.

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
I thought he played really well for the Kings down the stretch but he is extremely limited, there is a reason two teams have moved on from him. But as a RH defender making $800k you can certainly do worse.

TB87

May 30, 2018
I thought he played really well for the Kings down the stretch but he is extremely limited, there is a reason two teams have moved on from him. But as a RH defender making $800k you can certainly do worse.

Limited in what ways? Corey Sznajder’s all three zone data suggest his puck skills on exits is less than ideal.

regulate

Aug 19, 2007
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Folin's advanced stats numbers (possession metrics, fenwick, corsi, gf vs ga while on the ice, etc) are below NHL average if that matters to you, although his numbers improved with the Kings vs his time with Minnesota. He was the worst on our team among the defensemen with the exception of Martinez (whose game deteriorated significantly last year statistically) if you feel these types of numbers are important. His physically play and block shots picked up quite a bit last year vs his history. Okay passer but can get hemmed into his zone. Simple game, defensive oriented. His skating is decent, but I would not call him above average.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad