infamous body checks that wouldnt be legal with the new rule change

stu the grim reaper

Jul 3, 2002
they keep saying the hit on savard and the hit on booth wouldnt be legal anymore, but im curious about others

what about the big hits taken by kariya, lindros, kozlov?

from the language of the rule it sounds like those are all out of the game

arrbez

bad chi
Jun 2, 2004
Toronto
The Lindros and Kozlov ones would be fine. They aren't looking to take head-on hits out of the game, and both guys still had the puck and were skating with their head down.

The Kariya hit is pretty much the definition of what they're looking to get rid of though. A player who has clearly passed the puck, in a vulnerable position, from the blind side.

jkrdevil

UnRegistered User
Apr 24, 2006
Miami
The Lindros and Kozlov ones would be fine. They aren't looking to take head-on hits out of the game, and both guys still had the puck and were skating with their head down.

The Kariya hit is pretty much the definition of what they're looking to get rid of though. A player who has clearly passed the puck, in a vulnerable position, from the blind side.

The Kayria hit was a north-south hit. Stevens didn't come from behind him or directly from the side. Just because a guy is looking away doesn't mean it is blindside.

Almost all of Stevens hits would still be good. Hits from defensemen tend to be of the north-south variety. Most of these "blindside" hits are from forwards backchecking.

stu the grim reaper

Jul 3, 2002
arent all those hits a little bit like "lateral" hits? i always imagine stevens swooping in from the side. its where all his velocity came from--changing direction laterally

is there language in the rule that talks about whether the player has the puck?

HemskyToHall*

What's happening?

Scottie Stevens was a great player cuhz he knocked the brains outta other players.

stu the grim reaper

Jul 3, 2002
i think it shocked everyone when it was mike richards. thats what people keep fixating on. not scott stevens, not chris chelios, not claude lemieux. young, hard working, straight laced mike richards.

jkrdevil

UnRegistered User
Apr 24, 2006
Miami
thats how i interpret "blind side"

i think thats what the rule is referring to, when someone has their head turned the other away leaving a blind side

Blind side to me is based on the body. If the person is looking straight ahead the blind side is is the area out of his field of vision. If a player has a head turned admiring their pass or has their head down that is on them. If you watch the hit on Kayria, Stevens body goes right into the logo. Kayria was skating right into him.

Based on the video the NHL put out I'm guessing the league interpretation in the same as mine.

Last edited:

arrbez

bad chi
Jun 2, 2004
Toronto
The Kayria hit was a north-south hit. Stevens didn't come from behind him or directly from the side. Just because a guy is looking away doesn't mean it is blindside.

Almost all of Stevens hits would still be good. Hits from defensemen tend to be of the north-south variety. Most of these "blindside" hits are from forwards backchecking.

In this climate, I think that Kariya hit would be a suspension. I don't think anyone has a problem with the Lindros or Kozlov hits. You've gotta keep your head up when you have the puck. But Kariya was a different story. Stevens came sideways across the ice, well after the puck was gone, and put his shoulder right into the head of a player who was in a vulnerable position. It may not be the textbook backchecking forward hit, but it's basically the same thing, and it's what the league is trying to get rid of.

Epsilon

#basta
Oct 26, 2002
South Cackalacky
The hit that started all of Lindros' problems, namely the hit Kasparitis delivered to him, would be a good example of the sort of headshot that is NOT being targeted by the rule change. Kasparitis came in straight at him (on a very slight diagonal but it was totally a front-side hit) and clobbered Lindros in the head because Lidstrom was carrying the puck into the zone with his head down, looking at it in his skates.

TonyTinglebone

Oct 6, 2008
In this climate, I think that Kariya hit would be a suspension. I don't think anyone has a problem with the Lindros or Kozlov hits. You've gotta keep your head up when you have the puck. But Kariya was a different story. Stevens came sideways across the ice, well after the puck was gone, and put his shoulder right into the head of a player who was in a vulnerable position. It may not be the textbook backchecking forward hit, but it's basically the same thing, and it's what the league is trying to get rid of.

That hit on Kariya was not late. At the most it was a second after he dishes the pass.

I don't think it would be a suspension, even if it happened tonight. You can't suspend someone for shoulder to chest hits. Kariya got caught admiring his pass and he would be the first person to admit he put himself in a bad situation and paid for it.

I used this analogy before when comparing blindside hits to the Stevens on Kariya hit. The Stevens on Kariya is comparable to driving along and staring at a girl walking down the street and not paying attention to the road and drifting into another lane and running into a truck, whereas the Cooke and Richards hits are comparable to driving along and somebody running a red light and T-boning you. The results may be the same but the causes are completely different.

Spawnisen

Kaapo Kakko.
Feb 11, 2010
Finland
What do they mean with "back pressure"?

Pressure due to a force that is operating in a direction opposite to that being considered.

Lindros skating towards goal and Stevens skating towards Lindros and a big collision happens and Lindros is not moving.

These were only fictional examples!

Spawnisen

Kaapo Kakko.
Feb 11, 2010
Finland
IMO it doesn't matter if someone is admiring their pass if the hit is late. Which i think Stevens was.. or atleast close!

Eisen

Sep 30, 2009
Duesseldorf
Pressure due to a force that is operating in a direction opposite to that being considered.

Lindros skating towards goal and Stevens skating towards Lindros and a big collision happens and Lindros is not moving.

These were only fictional examples!

Thank you.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad