Value of: Inexpensive 2nd line winger to Avs

DarthProbert

Feb 3, 2015
Saad's UFA and too expensive to bring back. Burakovsky is too streaky. Cap's gonna get tight as Landeskog, Grubauer, Makar, and eventually MacKinnon need raises. No obvious immediate prospect to step in(Newhook maybe, but should eventually be a C). Avs have the supporting cast to help a winger possibly reach his potential that he may be having trouble achieving elsewhere.

Who's got a logjam of wingers to spare, or a change of scenery type at a reasonable cost? Not looking to break the bank for a blockbuster deal.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
Saad's UFA and too expensive to bring back. Burakovsky is too streaky. Cap's gonna get tight as Landeskog, Grubauer, Makar, and eventually MacKinnon need raises. No obvious immediate prospect to step in(Newhook maybe, but should eventually be a C). Avs have the supporting cast to help a winger possibly reach his potential that he may be having trouble achieving elsewhere.

Who's got a logjam of wingers to spare, or a change of scenery type at a reasonable cost? Not looking to break the bank for a blockbuster deal.

let me get this straight

you want a player that is
Cheap
Under team control fir 3 yrs at least
Who might still be in development or is underutilized
And he’d be eady/cheap to acquire

Keep f***ing dreaming. Such a player would cost you new hook

SoulDynasty

Jan 25, 2017
Ottawa
I would say looking more for an “Andrighetto” type player. Someone who doesn’t fit with their current club.

DarthProbert

Feb 3, 2015
let me get this straight

you want a player that is
Cheap
Under team control fir 3 yrs at least
Who might still be in development or is underutilized
And he’d be eady/cheap to acquire

Keep f***ing dreaming. Such a player would cost you new hook

Kubalik, Fabbri, Verhaeghe, Neidereitter, Pearson, Fiala, Bennett...nope, scoring wingers never get moved without a top asset going back. Never happen in a million years. Thanks for contributing.

themelkman

Always Delivers
Apr 26, 2015
Calgary, Alberta
What’s your definition of Inexpensive or second line? Sharks have guys like Balcers or Donato who can play good middle six and should get 40 points each

shadow1

Nov 29, 2008

Not to hijack your thread, but Burakovsky has 17 goals and 36 points in 48 games. This is a pace of 29 goals and 61 points over a full season, while only making $4.5M and not playing on the top-PP unit.

Burakovsky did have a 7 game pointless streak from 1/31 -> 2/4, but since then has been very consistent. The Avs will be hard pressed to find a second line winger who can match this production, let alone for so inexpensive.

Put Newhook at 2C and move Kadri to wing.

This might be what ends up happening. Kadri looked excellent at LW last game, in a season in which he's been brutal most nights.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
Something centered around Greenway for Newhook? I know assets from Minnesota would need to go back to Colorado, but Greenway + Pittsburgh's 1st for Newhook?

Reactions: Spurgeon

KaprizovEntitlelist

Feb 22, 2020
Something centered around Greenway for Newhook? I know assets from Minnesota would need to go back to Colorado, but Greenway + Pittsburgh's 1st for Newhook?

Why would wild give assets to their division rivals

Joel Eriksson deserves top 6 role
Rossi will be ready right away or 6month-1year
Alexander khovanov 1-2years will be ready
Marat Khusnutdinov will come over in 1 year

KaprizovEntitlelist

Feb 22, 2020
Joel Eriksson Ek, nico sturm already take 2 out of 4 c spot

Eriksson Ek: 2c
Sturm: 4c or better
Marco rossi 1-2c capability
Marat Khusnutdinov 1-2c capability
Alexander khovanov:2-3c capability

Wild have two 1st round pick , & with judd brackett wild will get a good player, / prospect in draft

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017

That's life in the salary cap. Never going to be strong in all areas.

We are in a flat cap, so the best producing 2nd line guys are still going to get their money. You can either take a shot with an older player who has shown some decline, or a reclamation project and hope he turns it around. Other than those 2 free agent options, you can give a young player an opportunity.

Only way to get an RFA player like that is to move a higher upside younger player, which I doubt the Avs want to do.

matt trick

Jun 12, 2007
San Jose could be a good fit here. We have a several top/middle six wingers in Kane, Donato, Meier, Labanc, Balcers, and Leonard, plus Couture and Hertl who can play wing. San Jose could retain 50% on Meier (2 years $3M per), but he'd rightly cost a lot. The way I see it SJ should absolutely be tanking for the next two drafts given the elite forward talent. As such, I'd like to see us move some talent out and return some quality assets, but more importantly ensure a tank for Wright and Bedard.

NjdevilfanJim

Jan 26, 2020

You won't get a top six cheap you'll have to pay with picks or prospects ...Usually overpayment unless a one for one disgruntled situation

Groo

May 11, 2013
surfingarippleofevil
San Jose could be a good fit here. We have a several top/middle six wingers in Kane, Donato, Meier, Labanc, Balcers, and Leonard, plus Couture and Hertl who can play wing. San Jose could retain 50% on Meier (2 years $3M per), but he'd rightly cost a lot. The way I see it SJ should absolutely be tanking for the next two drafts given the elite forward talent. As such, I'd like to see us move some talent out and return some quality assets, but more importantly ensure a tank for Wright and Bedard.
OP looking for cheap. Why would they have to trade for any of those guys from the Sharks when all they'd have to do is sign Barabanov away from us?

Spurgeon

Nov 25, 2014
MinneSNOWta
Why would wild give assets to their division rivals

Joel Eriksson deserves top 6 role
Rossi will be ready right away or 6month-1year
Alexander khovanov 1-2years will be ready
Marat Khusnutdinov will come over in 1 year

Because we’re getting back a center asset. You’ve listed 2-3 players that are completely unknown commodities for the next 3 seasons. Rossi could also very likely not be ready next season. Newhook would jump onto the roster next season. Not sure that makes any sense for Colorado though because they likely value his ELC as much as we would.

Greenway for Newhook makes a ton of sense though if Colorado doesn’t need Newhook and truly needs a cost-controlled 2nd line wing.

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
Because we’re getting back a center asset. You’ve listed 2-3 players that are completely unknown commodities for the next 3 seasons. Rossi could also very likely not be ready next season. Newhook would jump onto the roster next season. Not sure that makes any sense for Colorado though because they likely value his ELC as much as we would.

Greenway for Newhook makes a ton of sense though if Colorado doesn’t need Newhook and truly needs a cost-controlled 2nd line wing.

Our biggest need is still a #2 center moving forward. I love Greenway, but not at the expense of Newhook.

Spurgeon

Nov 25, 2014
MinneSNOWta
Our biggest need is still a #2 center moving forward. I love Greenway, but not at the expense of Newhook.

Yeah, that’s what I figured when I did a glance over of your roster on Capfriendly. Still hate that Newhook fell to 16.

Purely hypothetical, would you guys do a Newhook for Boldy trade?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad