Inept outsider fan asking a question: Who is "the goalie"?

WADEugottaBELAKthat

Nikishin turning heads.
Nov 21, 2003
CSKA MoskWTF?
https://www.tsn.ca/melnyk-on-leafs-...e-and-somebody-forgot-about-defence-1.1277645

Melnyk recently was quoted as saying: we have all these kids coming up. We have eight, actually nine – 10 if you include the goalie – 10 potential stars sitting in Belleville and they're playing and they're playing their hearts out and they want to make the NHL. What we're hoping for is that out of that group, we have three or four stars – real stars."

I am wondering who the goalie Melnyk is talking about is?

Thank you.

Gil Gunderson

May 2, 2007
Ottawa, ON
https://www.tsn.ca/melnyk-on-leafs-...e-and-somebody-forgot-about-defence-1.1277645

Melnyk recently was quoted as saying: we have all these kids coming up. We have eight, actually nine – 10 if you include the goalie – 10 potential stars sitting in Belleville and they're playing and they're playing their hearts out and they want to make the NHL. What we're hoping for is that out of that group, we have three or four stars – real stars."

Thank you.
That's stupidly optimistic for any franchise.

When was the last time an AHL team simultaneously had three or four "real stars" on it?

Reactions: derriko and Deku

MakeOttawaGreatAgain

Illest guy in town!
Feb 28, 2007
That's stupidly optimistic for any franchise.

When was the last time an AHL team simultaneously had three or four "real stars" on it?

Not really the same, but if you count other leagues in the past as equivalent to roughly modern AHL then you could argue the Edmonton Oilers when they joined the league as well as the Red Army team that came here and played the Canadiens in '75

:help:

WaitingInVain

Jul 5, 2012
We have eight, actually nine – 10 if you include the goalie – 10 potential stars sitting in Belleville... What we're hoping for is that out of that group, we have three or four stars – real stars."

Gustavsson is your guy, and he's about two seasons away from starting regularly in the NHL.

1 - Brannstrom
2 - Batherson
3 - Brown

4 - Tkachuk
5 - Chabot

WaitingInVain

Jul 5, 2012
Gus isn't starting regularly in the AHL yet...

Gustavsson and Hogberg are 84 minutes apart in playing time this year and both have played in 30 games. Hogberg has been better, but Gustavsson is 20.

He'll split time next year with Daccord, but as the 1A instead of the 1B.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Gustavsson and Hogberg are 84 minutes apart in playing time this year and both have played in 30 games. Hogberg has been better, but Gustavsson is 20.

He'll split time next year with Daccord, but as the 1A instead of the 1B.
Hogberg spent a month in the NHL where Gus was receiving most his time, of course their playing time would be similar.

Hogberg will be getting all the starts in the playoffs, and will be the guy leading into the playoffs. Gus is at this point a 20 year old backup AHL goalie. Expecting him to be a starter in 2 years is wishful thinking.

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
I mean, Formenton and Norris might not be in the AHL but I'd probably consider them part of that up and coming group, so we definitely have 5-6 potential stars there with Brown, Batherson and Barn Storm.

But yeah, the 10 figure is complete bullcrap form the owner(again).

Reactions: derriko

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
Brannstrom and more so Batherson seem to have real star potential, but nothing is certain.

Brown has like a 1 percent shot if he ever puts it together.

If Ryan Dzingel was considered a star, then yeah, maybe we have a handful of guys like a Chlapik, Balcers, Abramov, Jared Cowen, who if they have perfect development and get the right opportunity might be 2nd liners one day, but probably won't.

AchtzehnBaby

Global Matador
Mar 28, 2013
Hazeldean Road
Brannstrom and more so Batherson seem to have real star potential, but nothing is certain.

If Ryan Dzingel was considered a star, then yeah, maybe we have a handful of guys like a Chlapik, Balcers, Abramov, Jared Cowen, who if they have perfect development and get the right opportunity might be 2nd liners one day, but probably won't.

Maybe for EM, a star is most likely broken down by dollar figures.

Mathematically, a star is equal to paying a player more than $1.5M in his world

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal

tumblr_lmpdixbFDm1qdt7kvo1_500.png

WaitingInVain

Jul 5, 2012
Hogberg spent a month in the NHL where Gus was receiving most his time, of course their playing time would be similar.

Hogberg will be getting all the starts in the playoffs, and will be the guy leading into the playoffs. Gus is at this point a 20 year old backup AHL goalie. Expecting him to be a starter in 2 years is wishful thinking.

In two years, Hogberg will go from the ECHL (a 23 year old) to NHL back-up.

As for 20 year old's playing in the AHL, you're looking at a small group with meaningful time and Gustavsson leads the group in time. He may not be the best of the four below, but let's give some due respect to the rarity of goaltenders playing substantial time in the AHL at that age. He's playing at a higher level than is customary for his age, and while that is not always a definitive sign of something, I do believe we can be certain that he's the presumptive future starter unless development stalls.

Filip Gustavsson
Carter Hart
Mikhail Berdin
Joseph Korenar

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
The potential stars he was probably talking about :

Brown
Batherson
Balcers
Abramov
Chlapik
Brannstrom
Wolanin
Lajoie
Gustvasson (could be Hogberg too)

Obviously, he's selling hope. Star doesn't mean Kucherov level but maybe just Top-6/Top-4 level/starting goalie level. I could only find 9 so maybe the 10th guy is Paul who they still have high hopes for, or would they include Veronneau in that group? Or Jaros? Or maybe 10 was just a rough number, didn't want to say "there's 9 guys down there who we are very high on"

I consider only Chabot, Tkachuk, White and Jaros fully graduated. The rest, even those currently in the NHL, are still prospects.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
It was supposed to be Gustavvson but for some stupid reason they decided to rush him and bring him over early when he could have just developed in Sweden and has now regressed.

There is no sure fire star goalie but I guess Hogberg, Gustavsson, Daccord and Mandolese are the candidates. Personally I have the most hope for Daccord. As the organization hasnt got their hands on him and he is developing properly, he plays the puck as well as any goaltender prospect I have seen.

tigerman67

May 30, 2010
Lulea
It was supposed to be Gustavvson but for some stupid reason they decided to rush him and bring him over early when he could have just developed in Sweden and has now regressed.

There is no sure fire star goalie but I guess Hogberg, Gustavsson, Daccord and Mandolese are the candidates. Personally I have the most hope for Daccord. As the organization hasnt got their hands on him and he is developing properly, he plays the puck as well as any goaltender prospect I have seen.
I wouldn't agree he's been rushed. It's usually quite a big transition from SHL to NHL for a goalie and it takes some time to get used to. He could've played another season in SHL but I'm not sure that'd make him break into NHL any sooner. Especially since it's not at all sure he'd be 1A on the team because they already have one of SHL's top 3 goalies. Other former top G prospects also has moved over at about the same age so it's not unusual. But in any case, one shouldn't judge the potential of a young SHL goalie from their first NA hockey year.

Comparing Gus and Hog as juniors, Gus should be way ahead. He's one of the most promising prospects from SHL since Lundqvist, while Hog wasn't even top in his age group. Definitely has starter potential in a few years (at 23-25 yo). But you never know until they had a couple of seasons who'll adapt the best in the end, Hogberg's size and style might suit NHL better and take him further. As far as Daccord concerns, it's difficult to compare him with the others at this stage because we've not seen him in similar situations. At the moment I'd put my money on Gus (at least the scouts did that during their draft years) but I guess we have to wait 2-3 years before we can say where they're heading with reasonable safety.

Reactions: derriko

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad