Indiana Fever to have 36 of 40 games nationally televised

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
Man alive.... I was expecting the WNBA to push Clark hard, for obvious reasons, but even that seems like a tad bit of overkill.

Granted, more than a few of those are on Prime and something called ION, which I assume was just made up now and don't care if I get well actually'd, so not as hard of a push as first glance indicated.

Reactions: Summer Rose

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Man alive.... I was expecting the WNBA to push Clark hard, for obvious reasons, but even that seems like a tad bit of overkill.

Granted, more than a few of those are on Prime and something called ION, which I assume was just made up now and don't care if I get well actually'd, so not as hard of a push as first glance indicated.

I think it’s more just those networks picking them up. The schedule was released in December

Acesolid

The Illusive Bettman
Sep 21, 2010
Québec

Considering the INSANE ratings of her games... what's more surprising is that a handful of her game might not be nationally televised! Hahaha!

I think it's early to say this, but she seems like if things go right she might go into history books as the "Tiger Woods" of Women's basketball, where she took a ling existing but sleepy sport product and made it into a money printer for a while.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
It also bears mentioning that because there's only 12 teams playing 40 games each, their national packages add up to 58% of all games.

There's 139 national games, and only 101 non-national games.
In comparison, Minnesota Lynx had 13 games nationally televised last year.

KevFu

May 22, 2009
Phoenix from Rochester via New Orleans
Yup.

Compare that to hockey where like the Sharks, Blue Jackets and Coyotes all have zero national TV appearances. The league leader is like 18.

With 139 national TV games for the WNBA, an equal distribution of appearances would be over 23 per team.

Reaser

May 19, 2021
Compare that to hockey where like the Sharks, Blue Jackets and Coyotes all have zero national TV appearances. The league leader is like 18.

The Oilers are the leader in U.S. national appearances but that's only if you count their 9 games on ESPN+ -- which if you count ESPN+/hulu exclusives then the Yotes had 2, Jackets 4 and Sharks 5 national appearances.

Each U.S. based team can only have 13 exclusive games. They can have added non-exclusive games which a handful do and gets them up to 14-15 (15 like the Avs) national appearances. Canadian teams don't have a limit, obviously as no RSN in U.S. for say the Oilers, so that's why they can get 18 (9 linear / 9 streaming) originally and even be flexed into more appearances without worry, as has happened this season.

Linear TV only (excluding ESPN+/hulu exclusives) leader is 15.

Kirk Van Houten

May 7, 2019
I don't think it's quite the same I mean the WNBA is probably getting little to none money from a League Pass like the NBA does. It's for their best interest to get something like the MLS has with Apple TV.

famicommander

Aug 12, 2011

If you're over 30, you'll probably better remember what is now ION from back when it was called Pax TV. If you didn't have cable in the late 90s to early 2000s it was like the 8th channel in the pecking order after NBC, CBS, ABC, Fox, The WB, UPN, and PBS. My grandma used to watch repeats of Touched by an Angel and Supermarket Sweep on it.

Reactions: GKJ

PCSPounder

Stadium Groupie
Apr 12, 2012
The Outskirts of Nutria Nanny
ION seems to be available on all the free streaming services and many (if not most) cable systems, so it probably has more coverage than whatever Apple is doing. It even came up as a supposed Pac-12 semi-savior for a lukewarm minute. No, they’re not also covering NWSL games.

GindyDraws

I will not disable my Adblock, HF
Mar 13, 2014
Indianapolis
As a Fever fan who had to endure several single digit win seasons and crowds that struggled to reach 2K, I'm really happy to see the potential windfall of Clark on the team but most importantly seeing the Pacers organization finally treating the team with respect and not as some obligation to the community. Last year's pick, Aliyah Boston, practically doubled attendance (which wasn't helped by playing out of three venues) and our win total from the previous season so we had started feeling like we were heading somewhere, but I know this is going to amplify this even more.

This won't put us in title contention as New York and Las Vegas are still fighting each other for the trophy, but at least I can see us finally making the playoffs for the first time since Tamika Catchings played for us.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City

Fanatics best draft bump jersey ever: Clark.

And Chicago Sky fans petitioning to have Fever game moved to the United Center (when Caitlin comes to town).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad