Independent League

Danbury102

Mar 6, 2008
Seeing as how IHL and the CHL have both gone under in recent years it seems that it does not work.

mk80

Jul 30, 2012
The old UHL, and the CHL in its infancy were probably the closest in comparrison to level of play. Both have gone away. The WCHL was also merged with the ECHL. So I would say probably not.

The issue would also be what cities it would include. Unlike baseball where a team (especially an independent team or league) can go almost anywhere. All of the viable locations in hockey are taken by either the ECHL, AHL, or NAHL and USHL.

What might be possible is some sort of western A-level counterpart to the SPHL. You could have teams in locations such as, New Mexico, maybe the reincarnated Arizona Sundogs, Tuscon, and maybe a southern Texas team or in Fort Worth. But even then thats a long shot.

Sports Enthusiast

Not Here To Be Liked
Sep 19, 2010
Middle of nowhere
The UHL's demise was them wanting to have a bus league in the worst part of the country the same time the economy went into the crapper.

The IHL isn't worth talking about.

Could it be done? Who knows but the IHL was like a "higher" FHL in how it was run. The Frankes had a stake in a few teams.

PCSPounder

Stadium Groupie
Apr 12, 2012
The Outskirts of Nutria Nanny
The CHL and IHL were not the same level of play as the ECHL - not even close.

Neither is the SPHL, and they are HONEST with that, but they're still around. Maybe there's something to that. Don't advertise being AA unless you start getting affiliations. If you advertise being in AA, you advertise yourself as part of "the system," and when that's not delivered, BAM.

I don't think all the good markets are taken. Thing is, I really DO think all the good owners are taken. Therein lies part of the problem. The ownership prospects coming up the ranks aren't humble enough to get into hockey. There's less of them, too, given how USA has merged itself into an oligarchy. So, er, shrug.

Sports Enthusiast

Not Here To Be Liked
Sep 19, 2010
Middle of nowhere
Its not like the echl has always been in the affiliate game. Really a good AA player is a good AA player. The only difference is the average age but most of these guys are going nowhere beyond and almost all of them regardless are gunna be career minor leaguers. Affiliations are nothing but something to sell the casual fan with the line of "come srr future stars of so and so"

PCSPounder

Stadium Groupie
Apr 12, 2012
The Outskirts of Nutria Nanny
Its not like the echl has always been in the affiliate game.

But I suspect that the ECHL getting more into it is what helped their staying power. Even though we know the affiliations are so-so at best, it answers the question to several people "why am I watching this?" Also, they picked up a few markets along the way.

Affiliations are nothing but something to sell the casual fan with the line of "come srr future stars of so and so"

While I just addressed affiliations, your mention of "casual fan" merits a response. How many people- sold on the "family entertainment aspect" of this gig- want to deal with the old prototypical "fight fan?"

SemireliableSource

Liter-a-cola
Sep 30, 2006
HSV
Guess that is why the Allen Americans won the ECHL last year after coming over from the CHL?

This is always a weak argument. At the AA level and below, you're dealing with 1-year contracts usually. You're not going to see the same roster year to year even if you stay in the same league. League's like the UHL/IHL and the CHL you'd have more hold over than in the ECHL but you'd also see a ton of change.

Sports Enthusiast

Not Here To Be Liked
Sep 19, 2010
Middle of nowhere
But I suspect that the ECHL getting more into it is what helped their staying power. Even though we know the affiliations are so-so at best, it answers the question to several people "why am I watching this?" Also, they picked up a few markets along the way.

While I just addressed affiliations, your mention of "casual fan" merits a response. How many people- sold on the "family entertainment aspect" of this gig- want to deal with the old prototypical "fight fan?"

Winning sells though no matter the product or league but the rare market. Winning is essential.

Sports Enthusiast

Not Here To Be Liked
Sep 19, 2010
Middle of nowhere
This is always a weak argument. At the AA level and below, you're dealing with 1-year contracts usually. You're not going to see the same roster year to year even if you stay in the same league. League's like the UHL/IHL and the CHL you'd have more hold over than in the ECHL but you'd also see a ton of change.

Reason for this is because of numbers game when the AHL teams send their worse players down. For that its harder to keep guys in the UHL you didn't have to worry about guaranteeing spots for guys you knew you'd have the room.

Sports Enthusiast

Not Here To Be Liked
Sep 19, 2010
Middle of nowhere
And how many of their CHL players held over, especially the ones on CHL contracts? How many more players did they have assigned from the AHL this year?

Too lazy to look it up but Marty was_is their coach. Wouldn't be shocked if he had an older team this past year and this upcoming year. He has a core of guys always following him around.

GindyDraws

I will not disable my Adblock, HF
Mar 13, 2014
Indianapolis
Winning sells though no matter the product or league but the rare market. Winning is essential.

This is a time I do agree with you.

Besides, I mentioned this in the AHL forum, but you need commitment from the owners and the markets & hockey's a bit of a hard sell. For the league to be legit, they would require at least 8 teams.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad