Trade: [IND/SAC] Sabonis, Lamb & Holiday to Sacramento for Haliburton, Hield & Thompson

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
Sabonis only has two years left on his deal. Do you think he is going to stick around this dumpster fire?
You really think he wouldn’t take a big contract knowing he’s the #1 guy on a team with money?

Add the fact that 2 years after this season is still a ton of time and value for a guy.

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal
You really think he wouldn’t take a big contract knowing he’s the #1 guy on a team with money?

Add the fact that 2 years after this season is still a ton of time and value for a guy.
I think there are many more instances of players wanting to stay away from Sacramento, with good reason, than wanting to be there, money be damned. He will get his money anywhere.

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
I think there are many more instances of players wanting to stay away from Sacramento, with good reason, than wanting to be there, money be damned. He will get his money anywhere.
What you think and reality are two different things. You think Sabonis would have rather stayed in Indiana with an even worse w/l record while fighting Myles Turner for minutes?? Young kids coming into the league may be turned off, but vets care about money and their position on the team. Sac can offer him both.

There have also been plenty of guys who wanted to stay and play in Sac. Their last all star center being one of them.

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal
What you think and reality are two different things. You think Sabonis would have rather stayed in Indiana with an even worse w/l record while fighting Myles Turner for minutes?? Young kids coming into the league may be turned off, but vets care about money and their position on the team. Sac can offer him both.

There have also been plenty of guys who wanted to stay and play in Sac. Their last all star center being one of them.
Sabonis has no ties or loyalty to Sacramento. Whether he wanted to stay in Indiana is beside the point, which is, he will get to choose to go wherever he wants. Every team with any sort of max space will want to sign him, it won't be a question of money. Giving up the cost controlled years of haliburton for him is beyond risky and will probably blow up on their faces.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California

I have a hard time seeing Sabonis staying in Sac the same way I had a hard time seeing him stay with the Pacers. Just because one option isn’t likely doesn’t mean the other is where there are 28 other options. We (and players) see how that worked out for the last all star center. My biggest issue is I don’t see how the fit works. Holmes/Sabonis don’t seem like a great fit together. Metu is a better fit so maybe you move Holmes to the bench unit. Maybe something like

Fox/Mitchell
Davis/Lamb
Barnes/Holiday/Harkless
Metu/Bagley?
Sabonis/Holmes

I think you gotta upgrade somewhere else because that barely squeaks into the playoffs unless Fox/Sabonis are playing out of their minds.

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
I have a hard time seeing Sabonis staying in Sac the same way I had a hard time seeing him stay with the Pacers. Just because one option isn’t likely doesn’t mean the other is where there are 28 other options. We (and players) see how that worked out for the last all star center. My biggest issue is I don’t see how the fit works. Holmes/Sabonis don’t seem like a great fit together. Metu is a better fit so maybe you move Holmes to the bench unit. Maybe something like

Fox/Mitchell
Davis/Lamb
Barnes/Holiday/Harkless
Metu/Bagley?
Sabonis/Holmes

I think you gotta upgrade somewhere else because that barely squeaks into the playoffs unless Fox/Sabonis are playing out of their minds.
Holmes will likely be dealt before Thursday, probably to Boston or Dallas. Barnes and Bagley, too.

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
Don't understand from Sacramentos point of view. Heild and Thompson leaving is fine but Haliburton, shouldn't they be attempting to build around him? Maybe look at finding a buyer for Fox in the summer? Yeah I know his contract is big but I keep reading about how teams are interested in him, gotta believe that if there's smoke there's fire.

Last I saw they were 12th or something in the Western Conference, why sell the future for a win-now player who will probably leave in free agency next year anyway?

I get not wanting to make "history" with this playoff drought they have but I feel they just screwed themselves for some run to the play-in they probably won't make.

Last edited:

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
^As good as Tyrese is, they also have Fox and Davion Mitchell. That’s why I questioned the Mitchell draft pick when it happened, but a move like this is probably why they did it.

This trade pretty much assures Fox isn’t going anywhere. I also expect his numbers to shoot back up to last year’s.

And they have over 2 years of control for Sabonis. This is hardly a rental.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
That Metu/Sabonis duo was much better than I expected. They need more bench quality especially if they trade Holmes and Barnes (which there are reports they want to keep Barnes).

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
I'm willing to see what McNair has in store this summer but Sac is going to regret this move if the Pacers make the playoffs next season and the Kings don't. If that happens then Vivek Ranadive should fire himself. He won't, but he should.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad