Incredible Hart Trophy Race !

Pacman33

#teamZ
Feb 9, 2017
Hall has a 27 point lead on Hischier.

Mackinnon has a 12 point lead on Rantanen, 25 point lead on Landeskog. He is getting more help
But rants and skogs points total are so high because of mack. Landeskog has been a black hole offensively for the last 2 months. Rants is great but his play when mack got hurt showed how much mack means to the team

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Based on CF60 5on5, Toews should get the Hart.

Is CF60 5 on 5 an intangible?

I think if the avs make the playoffs it has to be Mackinnon. Big if though.
This image is just at the 5 game mark and I'd guess the gap is probably a bit wider if you count the full 8 games he missed.

If the avs miss it will probably go to Kucherov or Malkin but I'd love to see ovechkin win another hart

Unless Malkin wins the Art Ross and maybe even the Rocket Richard, I don't see it. And, even if he wins both, he's got the 'Kessel and Crosby' argument. Kucherov has a similar problem. Honestly, my money is on McKinnon if Colorado makes it and Hall if they don't.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
Hall has a 27 point lead on Hischier.

Mackinnon has a 12 point lead on Rantanen, 25 point lead on Landeskog. He is getting more help

I feel like i've made this argument in 3 different threads but. Hall is 14th in the scoring race. He'll never win being that far back.

Here is a list of the last 15 forwards to win the Hart Trophy:

McDavid. 1st in scoring
Kane. 1st in scoring
Crosby. 1st in scoring
Ovechkin. 3 in scoring (only 4 points gap, but rocket winner by 3 goals)
Malkin. 1st in scoring.
Perry. 3rd in scoring. (only 6 points gap, but first in goals by 5 goal gap)
Sedin. 1st in scoring
Ovechkin. 2nd in scoring (3 point gap), 1st in goal (1o goals gap)
Ovechkin. 1st in scoring
Crosby. 1st in scoring
Thornton. 1st in scoring
St Louis. 1st in scoring
Forsberg. 1st in scoring
Sakic. 2nd in scoring (3 points gap), 2nd in goals scored, 2nd in Selke voting
Jagr 1st in scoring.

Hall is 14th in scoring, with a 14 point gap from the top. He's also 17th in goal-scoring.

He's way too far back to warrant serious hart consideration. If he can climb up the scoring race significantly, maybe. But i don't even think that's likely.

The 27 point lead on Hischier doesn't mean nearly as much as you think.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Yep agreed. Avs still need to make the playoffs though too, which at this point seem like a 50/50 possibility at best. But yes if he finishes strong and if they make the playoffs he could have a strong case

Yep, no chance for MacK if we can't get into the playoffs. But if we do sneak in and he gets close to Kuch by the end, it'll be tough not to give it to MacK after how historically bad the avs were last year.

GreatSaveEssensa

The Dark Side Of The Goon
Feb 16, 2016
Manitoba
Im very suprised to see that Wheeler isnt on more peoples short lists. Not saying he wil win it, or should even, but he is in the conversation for sure

How many other players can seemlesly move over to play centre on the top line without skipping a beat? Just ask Drouin how hard that is. And keep in mind that he has never really played centre in his NHL career. That alone has to be worth a few votes.

Reactions: cgf

HockeyMomx2

Extra Medium Water, Hold The Pickles
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2008
The Most Beautiful Place In The World
I have never seen a season with so many worthy Candidates to win it , I can see 1st places votes being split across the board. Hall ,Gaudreau, Kucherov, Malkin, Giroux, Mackinnon, and others are all up for argument sake . The media are going to have a very difficult choice to make unless someone runs away with production last 20 games , but great for the NHL.
According to the nhl 3/4 season voting it goes Kucherov, Bergeron, Malkin currently.

george14

Mar 9, 2014
Detroit, MI
Kucherov, 13 first place votes.

BTFO

I've seen you on every post literally crying about Kucherov.

Dude, he is going to with the Hart, we know. The argument is the actual definition of the award that creates a problem. It's getting ridiculous to see you respond to every single posted whining about it. Your team is elite and a Cup favorite. Move along for Christ's sake.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
I feel like i've made this argument in 3 different threads but. Hall is 14th in the scoring race. He'll never win being that far back.

Here is a list of the last 15 forwards to win the Hart Trophy:

McDavid. 1st in scoring
Kane. 1st in scoring
Crosby. 1st in scoring
Ovechkin. 3 in scoring (only 4 points gap, but rocket winner by 3 goals)
Malkin. 1st in scoring.
Perry. 3rd in scoring. (only 6 points gap, but first in goals by 5 goal gap)
Sedin. 1st in scoring
Ovechkin. 2nd in scoring (3 point gap), 1st in goal (1o goals gap)
Ovechkin. 1st in scoring
Crosby. 1st in scoring
Thornton. 1st in scoring
St Louis. 1st in scoring
Forsberg. 1st in scoring
Sakic. 2nd in scoring (3 points gap), 2nd in goals scored, 2nd in Selke voting
Jagr 1st in scoring.

Hall is 14th in scoring, with a 14 point gap from the top. He's also 17th in goal-scoring.

He's way too far back to warrant serious hart consideration. If he can climb up the scoring race significantly, maybe. But i don't even think that's likely.

The 27 point lead on Hischier doesn't mean nearly as much as you think.

If you go by PPG, I believe he's 7th. That may help him a bit, but I agree that the Hart Trophy ends up being a twin of the Art Ross Trophy.

He's also put together a 22 (!) game point streak while the Devils season is on the line. He has scored in every game he's played in 2018. The three games he missed, the Devils got shut out twice and lost all three.

RDTBay4

Apr 28, 2014
Clearwater, FL

Dude, he is going to with the Hart, we know. The argument is the actual definition of the award that creates a problem. It's getting ridiculous to see you respond to every single posted whining about it. Your team is elite and a Cup favorite. Move along for Christ's sake.

Actually this thread is about the trophy race, and many posters do not think he will or should win.

Classic Devil

Spirit of 1988
Dec 23, 2003
Columbus, Ohio
Here's a question. if you could trade Hall for Kucherov straight up, would you? Please try to not consider contract length, amount or player age.

I'd have to say no. Not because I don't think the trade is fair, but because I'm not sure Kucherov represents an upgrade over Hall for the Devils. The uncertainty in how well Kucherov would mesh with New Jersey and how well the team would respond to losing Hall means I'd be inclined to keep the player we have unless I have a truly compelling reason to trade him (it'd take McDavid, I think).

John Matthews

Dec 4, 2017
On a computer
I have never seen a season with so many worthy Candidates to win it , I can see 1st places votes being split across the board. Hall ,Gaudreau, Kucherov, Malkin, Giroux, Mackinnon, and others are all up for argument sake . The media are going to have a very difficult choice to make unless someone runs away with production last 20 games , but great for the NHL.
Its not really that big of a race, its down to Kuch, Ovi and Bergeron but Bergeron injured his foot and is out long term. If the Oilers were in the playoff race / in McDavid would get more consideration. People saying Hall, but he's only NJ's mvp not the leagues mvp.

John Matthews

Dec 4, 2017
On a computer

Tampa isn't seen as a cup favorite. Lack of depth on D, and in the bottom six is easily going to derail them. Sergachev isn't tested in the playoffs, along with a third of their forwards. Everyone thinking Mcdonut is going to change things when this team is subpar to the 2015 team that made the cup final, not to mention the triplets line hasn't produced together since then.

daver

Apr 4, 2003
Visit site
I think after Hart voters pick the obvious candidate based on who was the "best player", you then see them picking players who were more "valuable". I think Kucherov wins handily but 2nd place would be a tossup among 3 or 4 players at this point.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
MacKinnon is clearly the MVP this year, but Avs have to make it to the playoffs for him to get the Hart. Those are the rules. Not written, but unspoken.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
If you go by PPG, I believe he's 7th. That may help him a bit, but I agree that the Hart Trophy ends up being a twin of the Art Ross Trophy.

He's also put together a 22 (!) game point streak while the Devils season is on the line. He has scored in every game he's played in 2018. The three games he missed, the Devils got shut out twice and lost all three.

Almost all of this applies to MacKinnon as well :dunno:

The Avs scored 1.4 goals a game less while he was out (dropping from ~3.3 to ~1.9 goals per game), the PP dropped from over 20% with him to 7% w/o...and that despite hitting one of the softest stretches of their schedule. If Rantanen had hit that empty netter last night instead of the post, MacK would be leading the league in PPG...which he does comfortably if we exclude the 10 games before he took over. And since coming back from his injury, he has 5 goals & 5 assists in 6 games to breath life back into the team's fading playoff hopes...as they are now just 1 point out of a playoff spot.

Last edited:

RDTBay4

Apr 28, 2014
Clearwater, FL
He'll be back like next game apparently.

Joe Smith was on local radio today as well and he said given the length of time Kucherov was on the ice for the optional skate, most signs point towards him being out tonight as well. Game time decision most likely.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013

He's having a fantastic season. 22 game point streak, and high ppg. I don't dislike him or anything, i'm not trying to talk bad about him. Just trying to be objective. And objectively speaking, despite all of those factors, he's still behind in the Hart race for the reasons I laid out.

Reactions: cgf

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad