+/- Including PowerPlay and PK Contribution - How useful is this?

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
Question.

+/- is typically said to be a useless stat around here. But has +/- data *with* powerplay/pk ever been tabulated - and would that be of more value when comparing players? Or still a useless stat?
The way i see it is:

Regular +/- : Let's pretend a player A is a +10 on the season at 5v5
Power Play Goals: Let's say he's on the ice for 40 power play goals: + 40
PK: Big disadvantage of the team - so it's not held against you. If player A is on the ice for 37 PK goals, it's still nada: +/- 0
Goals allowed while on the power play: So he's on the ice for 4 goals that his team allowed while they were on the powerplay. This counts: - 4

Total would be: + 10 (even play), + 40 (power play goals), 0 (PK), -4 (goals allowed while on PP) = +46

Is this already tracked anywhere - or has it ever been?

BM67

Mar 5, 2002
In "The System"
Visit site
Question.

+/- is typically said to be a useless stat around here. But has +/- data *with* powerplay/pk ever been tabulated - and would that be of more value when comparing players? Or still a useless stat?
The way i see it is:

PK: Big disadvantage of the team - so it's not held against you. If player A is on the ice for 37 PK goals, it's still nada: +/- 0
Goals allowed while on the power play: So he's on the ice for 4 goals that his team allowed while they were on the powerplay. This counts: - 4

Total would be: + 10 (even play), + 40 (power play goals), 0 (PK), -4 (goals allowed while on PP) = +46

The WHA stats tracked +/- in both ways in 1978-79 (don't know about earlier), as well as tracking how many SHG a player was on ice for, both for and against.

Quebec in 1978-79 GP 80 TGF 288 EGF 215 PGF 67 SGF 6 TGA 271 EGA 199 PGA 63 SGA 9 +/- +16 OA GA+/- +17
Real Cloutier GP 77 TGF 174 EGF 114 PGF 60 SGF 0 TGA 103 EGA 91 PGA 5 SGA 7 +/- +23 OA GA+/- +71

I don't think the OA GA +/- is all that useful, but the tracking of SHG is a much nicer addition.

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
Question.

The way i see it is:

I think this is a great idea. I mean, basically you're saying raw goals-for minus goals-against except for power-play goals against.

Plus/minus is a useless stat for certain types of players, and it's of questionable use/interest for all players. So, yes, I completely agree with this idea.

Of course, we'd have to come up with a new name for the stat...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad