In their primes: Mike Vernon or grant Fuhr

Status
Not open for further replies.

gr8haluschak

Jul 25, 2004
bruins4777 said:
mike vernon quite easily

What are you talking about ? Fuhr easily out does Vernon 4 cups to 1 (i don't count the last one since he was on the bench for the entire playoffs), and I don't remember Fuhr letting in and crappy goals in clutch times like Vernon did.

blamebettman*

Mike Vernon

Put Vernon in net for the 80's oilers, would they be better, worse, or equal? I'd say he'd make them better. Vernon in his prime was just a better pure puckstopper than Fuhr.

Spitfire11

Jan 17, 2003
Ontario
gr8haluschak said:
What are you talking about ? Fuhr easily out does Vernon 4 cups to 1 (i don't count the last one since he was on the bench for the entire playoffs)

He won the Conn Smyth by sitting on the bench??...i think you need to research a tad on Vernon

Fuhr was better though

gr8haluschak

Jul 25, 2004
Spitfire11 said:
He won the Conn Smyth by sitting on the bench??...i think you need to research a tad on Vernon

Fuhr was better though

For most they mean in their primes ment the 80's-early 90's when both were comparable and were on comparable teams, he was not in his prime in 97, he caught lightning in a bottle that year (but yes I did forget that he won the cup and smythe with the wings)

Ozy_Flame

Feb 28, 2002
Calgary
Visit site
This is a simply YAY or NAY question, you newbies. If people say Mike Vernon, why are some of you spewing venom at it? I personally say Vernon myself, and I say that without any serious background knowledge on the subject - just based on pure instinct.

Don't bash people for their alternative positions. Sheesh!

se7en*

Fuhr quite easily and it has nothing to do with me being an Oilers fan. Fuhr was simply the best clutch goalie at that time. Vernon had a bad habit of giving the opposing team momentum such as Tiks softie from past the blueline in Game 7 of the 1991 battle that made it 3-1. Don't forget Tiks screened shot that won the series. Or Gretzky's slapper in '88.

blamebettman*

let's not forget Fuhr let up a nearly identical goal to Evans during the miracle at manchester.

vernons postseason gaa- 2.68

fuhr- 2.92

God Bless Canada

Jul 11, 2004
Bentley reunion
I would say Fuhr, but it's not by the lopsided margin that some on this board would have you believe. Fuhr was the perfect player for those Oilers teams: a guy who didn't put up spectacular numbers (he didn't have to), but he could steal a game when the gunners weren't clicking, and when the Oilers needed the big save late in a 5-4 or 6-5 game, Fuhr would get it. Truth be told, I think he could have been even better, if not for his quirky traits (even for a goalie), his love of golf (which seemingly surpassed his love of hockey) and his dislike of working out. (When he did work out later in his career, he was a Hart Trophy candidate in 1996).

Vernon will always be one of my all-time favourite goalies. IMO, he should one day join Fuhr in the HHOF. A little more spectacular and flashy than Fuhr, he could also steal a game when his high-powered teammates in Calgary and Detroit failed. He made several game-saving saves against Vancouver in Game 7 in OT in 1989. His experience was critical to Detroit's win in 1997, and to helping the Sharks back to the playoffs (and respectability) in 1998. Flashy and acrobatic early in his career, a smart, steady leader later in his career. An example of a goalie who made the necessary adjustments to survive after he started to lose his early-career agility. But I'd still take Fuhr.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad