Speculation: In the future, why not try Myers at forward?

MayDayMayDay

But what is grief, if not love persevering?
Feb 22, 2012
Peoria, AZ
Crazy as it sounds, w/ his skating, hands, and his willingness to hop up in the play and attack, why not try it?? Is it a case of just needing him more on the blue line for depth reasons or what?? Why would it be a bad idea?? Why might it be a good idea??

sand1138man

Apr 25, 2007

NO ACTUALLY, not saying that he would be great right away but I have always thought that he might be a really good forward, not having to watch his as* as much. He is really going with the puck in the offesinsve zone, he can skate, shoot, deke, control the puck in the orffensize zone, The most exciting times during the game is where he takes chances and ends up in there zone, but because he's defense he always has it in his head that he has to stop what he's doing to get back......AT this point nothing is a bad idea....can we get any worse by trying something like this? I'd love a 5 game tryout to see what happens.

Karate Johnson*

No, actually there are plenty of things that are a bad idea, like taking a ROY 6'8" defenseman who is decent at rushing up the ice, who you are paying a bunch of money to, and trying to make him a forward.

It's a horrible idea.

If he's that bad a defense trade him or buy him out.

Better yet, just try to develop him into the defenseman he's supposed to be.

That's it for me on this topic.... I should have never responded. It's silly.

Squantosawuss

Dec 10, 2010
B-lo
No, actually there are plenty of things that are a bad idea, like taking a ROY 6'8" defenseman who is decent at rushing up the ice, who you are paying a bunch of money to, and trying to make him a forward.

It's a horrible idea.

If he's that bad a defense trade him or buy him out.

Better yet, just try to develop him into the defenseman he's supposed to be.

That's it for me on this topic.... I should have never responded. It's silly.

How about Miller on RW?

joshmo65

Feb 14, 2012
Because Myers isn't a forward.

No, the Sabres need good centers. Put him at center

In youth hockey, Miller originally played as a forward. However Miller became frustrated with the poor play of his team's goalie, so he begged his coach as well as his father, Dean Miller, to let him try it out. His father told him that if he could get two goals and three assists the next game he would buy Ryan a catching glove. Miller finished the game with two goals and three assists in the win.

I mean... if he was getting 5 points a game in youth hockey, he has to have at least some of that scoring touch left. Maybe move Pominville to the 3rd line and try Miller on the first with Vanek and Hodgson?

DixonWard15

Sep 27, 2011
I have always liked the idea of using a defensemen on the PP to stand in front of the net

5 Minute Major

Sabres Fan
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2010
Vestal, NY
I have a better position for him.....on a different team.

I so hope they can rid themselves of Tyler Myers. His game has steadily declined since his first year in the league. Hopefully there is a sucker of a GM that will take him off the Sabres hands.

Myllz

RELEASE THE KRAKEN
Jan 16, 2006
Vegas
I have a better position for him.....on a different team.

I so hope they can rid themselves of Zdeno Chara. His game has steadily declined since his first year in the league. Hopefully there is a sucker of a GM that will take him off the Islanders hands.

Weird. Sounds familiar.

sabresEH

May 17, 2009
Kelowna, BC
Its not as bad of an idea as some are making it out to be. As someone who has watched Myers since 16 I can say it wouldn't be the worst idea. Best idea would be to stop thinking we have a Chara when we have a Neidermayer. Everyone gives him the Chara comparison because of their height. But nothing about Myers' game screams Chara. Myers is at his best when he is allowed to roam free and play his hockey.
Truth is Myers doesn't have much hockey sense, and we can hide that fact more with him up front than on D. But I wouldn't do it unless Myers was completely okay with it.

Sentrix

May 4, 2012
Buffalo, NY
San Jose tried it with Brent Burns and he's scored twice in two games.
But that's a very small sample size, obviously.

Considering Myers gets manhandled regularly despite being 6' 8"... maybe this would work. IDK.

Karate Johnson*

Its absolutely a horrible idea. You could have watched his mother give birth to him, it wouldn't make amoving him to forward any better an idea.

He's getting paid $12,000,000 to play defense... not to try and see if maybe he can be serviceable to forward.

Next year its $6,000,000 to be a defensemen. Not to give a new position a shot.

If hes so far gone that the idea of moving him to forward comes up in a coaches meeting then trade him or buy him out.

Why do I keep getting sucked into this nonsense.... its so incredibly dumb.

Karate Johnson*

We don't need to make any desperation moves....

We aren't a desperate team. We're an awful team with basically zero expectations over the next few years.

We're nowhere near contending for a cup and our 2/3's of our top line and our goalie are all UFA's after next year.

Now is not the time to panic and experiment with dumb ideas... It's the time to formulate a sound strategy and begin to implement it, like today.... With the goal of making the playoffs in 2015, and possibly contending for a cup in 2016.

2013 is over. 2014 is gonna be bad.

Focus on the future

Myllz

RELEASE THE KRAKEN
Jan 16, 2006
Vegas
World domination.

The_Brain.gif

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad