In Soviet Russia, Ryan O'Reilly signs you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

detrude

(╯°□°)╯ ︵ ┻━┻
Apr 23, 2007
It will be interesting too se if Sherman manage to find a $3 million per year player bringing more to the table than Ryan O'Reilly.

Good luck.

What people don't seem to emphasize is that we are talking about the Avs best player of last season with Lando and him matching perfectly.

This isn't a matter of $3m, though. He was already offered more than that and turned it down.

(These words may never come out of my mouth again) Dater is absolutely right, you can't just cave and give him whatever he wants. $3.5m is very fair, and about what he should be making. Overpay him by a million (or more) because fans want him signed and you have to start overpaying other RFAs, too. Allow these holdout tactics to work and other RFAs will start to use them.

I agree with Soundwave, this sounds like a passive aggressive (my words) way to ask to be shipped out. I still think the team tries to sign him until the drop dead date (whatever that is/if it exists), then re-evaluates the situation in the off-season. A draft day trade makes a lot of sense if he's still unsigned, and we can probably get something similar to Staal if it came to that.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Again, I don't think O'Reilly's demands are wholly unreasonable, nor do I think the Avs' offers are completely insulting (at least one of them isn't). I suppose talks have no reportedly broken off altogether, so that's encouraging, but the Avs need to figure this out, and soon.

I'm not willing to let a season go to waste because the Avs wanted to stand on "principle."

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
What do they talk about each day, when supposedly the Avs haven't backed off their two year $7M, or five year $17M offer. Those are probably the same exact offers they were making in July.

How is that still talking?

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
What do they talk about each day, when supposedly the Avs haven't backed off their two year $7M, or five year $17M offer. Those are probably the same exact offers they were making in July.

How is that still talking?

Good question...makes me wonder of what was being talked about during the CBA negotiations as well, especially when talks blew up like they did a few weeks ago.

Zih

Dater's Gonna Hate
Dec 19, 2008
Colorado
I kind of wonder what role O'Reilly would fill if he were signed and started to play with us. Last year he managed to very quickly steal the #1 center spot and held onto it all year. He played against by far the toughest competition of all our centers and lead the team in scoring while doing so. I don't think O'Reilly's totally out to lunch in his demands.

I also worry about what effect missing O'Reilly will have on Stastny and Duchene. Last year it was O'Reilly playing the tough minutes against opponents' top lines, but now it will fall to Stastny and Duchene to do so. I don't think opening night will be the last time we're plagued by disappointing performances from the top two lines.

PeterTheGreat

Jan 4, 2009
Again, I don't think O'Reilly's demands are wholly unreasonable, nor do I think the Avs' offers are completely insulting (at least one of them isn't). I suppose talks have no reportedly broken off altogether, so that's encouraging, but the Avs need to figure this out, and soon.

I'm not willing to let a season go to waste because the Avs wanted to stand on "principle."

26, 26, and 55 point seasons and asking for 5 million a year as an RFA?

Thats very unreasonable.

Scottyb123

Feb 2, 2010
Question for you Aves fans:

If you had to guess.. what's the probability that you sign O'Reilly? I haven't been following the situation and someone is offering him to me in a fantasy trade..

Good luck this season.

ChibiPooky

Yay hockey!
May 25, 2011
Fairfax, VA

So in your mind, Ryan O'Reilly not playing means the season is over?

chewey

May 27, 2008
Near You!
I agree with Soundwave, this sounds like a passive aggressive (my words) way to ask to be shipped out.

Now this is a really scary thought. Why? What did the 'young guys'/team do to make him want to leave? If we can't attract TOP UFAs and the talent this team develops leaves due to being unhappy ... this team is going to have a bigger uphill battle than expected.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
Question for you Aves fans:

If you had to guess.. what's the probability that you sign O'Reilly? I haven't been following the situation and someone is offering him to me in a fantasy trade..

Good luck this season.

No one here has enough information to know this. All you'll get are poorly educated guesses.

If your fantasy league is only for this season, common sense should tell you to stay away from Subban/Benn/O'Reilly.

TheFactor

Johnny Malkin
Mar 25, 2011
Calgary
No one here has enough information to know this. All you'll get are poorly educated guesses.

If your fantasy league is only for this season, common sense should tell you to stay away from Subban/Benn/O'Reilly.

I have both Subban and ROR on mine :rant::rant:

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
So in your mind, Ryan O'Reilly not playing means the season is over?

Yup. Not many teams can do that much without their best player, and people can argue with me all they want, IMO O'Reilly is the team's best player.

The deck is stacked against them regardless, but they can't and won't be taken seriously without their top center, best penalty killer, and top defensive forward.

Rhaego

May 18, 2011
Yup. Not many teams can do that much without their best player, and people can argue with me all they want, IMO O'Reilly is the team's best player.

The deck is stacked against them regardless, but they can't and won't be taken seriously without their top center, best penalty killer, and top defensive forward.

O'Reilly isn't our best player....

TheFactor

Johnny Malkin
Mar 25, 2011
Calgary

I agree with you 100%. But if he's going to be a selfish greedy ******* he can go to hell. Im glad the Avs are holding out and not giving in. He's a crucial part of the team and should display it on and off the ice. I think what he's doing is classless and is going to give him a very bad image and will ruin his reputation around the league. That being said, I hope he lowers his demands soon to a more reasonable level and hopefully sign in time to help us out early. Seeing Subban and Benn doing the same thing makes it a little more comforting and takes the attention away from him.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
So you say. I don't agree. The five year offer is below-market, but still not chump change. But IMO to give him the same "prove your worth" contract as Duchene and expect him to sign it is preposterous.

Why, what has Ryan done to make him worth more, other than have his best season at a convient time?

I disagree.. whether he's in our top 3 or not he is definitely one of our most important players, considering all situations.. if we can't get him signed we miss for sure.. with him in the lineup it will even be tight.

Yeah, he's an important player for the avs but the season doesn't rest on his shoulders. Guess, we'll just have to wait and see.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
So you say. I don't agree. The five year offer is below-market, but still not chump change. But IMO to give him the same "prove your worth" contract as Duchene and expect him to sign it is preposterous.

A two year $3.5M/year contract is completely fair and calling it a "prove your worth" contract is wrong. It's a standard bridge contract that most players coming off their ELCs get.

Landeskog will, most likely, be offered one in 18 months time and it won't be insulting to him either.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
He isn't even in the top 3. The avs can make the playoff without him IMO.

He might not be top three on the team but it'll be very tough to make the playoffs without him. Even with him it's going to be tough, this just makes it more difficult.

The biggest issue is going to be the PK. Only one game but we had Jones taking defensive zone faceoffs on the PK, we had Duchene on the PK which definitely isn't one of his strengths, and it hurts Duchene/Stastny because they have to use so much energy trying to kill penalties.

Duchene is also coming off of a rough season and needs to show he can be more productive. You never know what you're going to get from Stastny, sometimes he shows up and sometimes he doesn't. I liked what I saw from Mitchell yesterday but he's no O'Reilly.

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
I agree with you 100%. But if he's going to be a selfish greedy ******* he can go to hell. Im glad the Avs are holding out and not giving in. He's a crucial part of the team and should display it on and off the ice. I think what he's doing is classless and is going to give him a very bad image and will ruin his reputation around the league. That being said, I hope he lowers his demands soon to a more reasonable level and hopefully sign in time to help us out early. Seeing Subban and Benn doing the same thing makes it a little more comforting and takes the attention away from him.

I wish he wasn't doing it, and yeah, he doesn't deserve the captaincy after this (though I still maintain it's WAY premature to give it to Landeskog), but I'm not going to completely dismiss the character of a professional athlete who is holding out for more money. If we did that, we'd be dismissing a LOT of professional athletes. I'm as surprised as everyone else that this situation has arisen given what we know about Ryan O'Reilly, but I don't think this necessarily makes him a bad guy.

I'll say this about O'Reilly. If he gets his big $$$, he better damn well back it up. I never had a problem with Trevor Pryce when he held out on the Broncos, but I had a big problem with his play there afterwards.

BTW, don't lump Benn in with all the other holdouts. He's asking for a short-term deal, and there's nothing wrong with that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad