Speculation: In-season Proposals, Rumors, Free Agents & Roster Moves (related topics) XXXV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
I wonder if the Hawks have any intentions at all of resigning Stalberg after this season?

I wouldn't be against trading a conditional 6th or 7th round pick in 2014 to pick up his negotiating rights once trading opens up again.

Pick up his rights and sign him to a 2 year 7M contract, or 3 years 10.5M.

He would do wonders on the line with Duchene and PAP IMO. Pefect mix of speed, skill, size, and grit. Actually a pretty rare player to have all that speed, and skill yet still be 6"3.

Stalberg - Duchene - PAP
McGinn - Stastny - Jones/UFA(If we buy out Jones)
Landeskog - ROR - Downie
McCleod - Malkin - Olver
Bordsy

Avs For Life

#92 #9 #29
Jul 4, 2012
Denver, CO
I wonder if the Hawks have any intentions at all of resigning Stalberg after this season?

I wouldn't be against trading a conditional 6th or 7th round pick in 2014 to pick up his negotiating rights once trading opens up again.

Pick up his rights and sign him to a 2 year 7M contract, or 3 years 10.5M.

He would do wonders on the line with Duchene and PAP IMO. Pefect mix of speed, skill, size, and grit. Actually a pretty rare player to have all that speed, and skill yet still be 6"3.

Stalberg - Duchene - PAP
McGinn - Stastny - Jones/UFA(If we buy out Jones)
Landeskog - ROR - Downie
McCleod - Malkin - Olver
Bordsy

I could be wrong, but from what I have heard about Stalberg is that he is really nothing aside from speed.

IMO top two lines should be one of the following

Staz - Duchene - PAP
Landy - ROR - Downie

or

Downie - Duchene - PAP
Landy - ROR - Staz

If Staz just isnt good on wing...trade him

ROR has a higher ceiling IMO and we dont have the wingers for both. Only way it works with Staz AND ROR is for one to be a winger.

AvsRobin

Size doesn't matter!
Aug 10, 2010
Stockholm
Stalberg is basically a 0.75 points per game player, with Toews. And 0.25 points per game without him.

I don't think he is any better than Jamie McGinn.

Avs71

Aug 12, 2008
Uh...OK.

But the (rather massive) flaw I find in your argument, is that you place playing success at the feet of (relatively) first time players, rather than years-long proven players, including a multiple-time Norris finalist. The shelling of Shattenkirk at the feet of Corsi stats was worthy of all-star homerism, but now we're taking on Shea Weber? This is even worse than the "EJ is playing well now because Hunwick is" stuff that was posted last month. Much worse.

I realize every one if us has our homer moments to try and make our players look as good as possible, particularly in dire times. And sometimes the homer moments get a bit out of hand. But this? Come on, guys. Seriously.
So if you don't believe Corsi, do you believe Blues fans saying L.A is exposing Shattenkirk and Leopold when they get their top lineups out there? Or the fact that in their biggest game of the season, Shatty plays the least amount of minutes of all defencemen on St. Louis?

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Leafs fan coming in peace:

Who is available in Colorado?

What would it take to get Paul Statsny?

61lDc.gif

6HTQ

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan

More than you would pay, that's been made quite clear throughout the discussions in the past.

In fact, needing to trade him for a top pairing defender won't be as much of a priority after the draft either.

I personally think we won't get the value needed to make it worth trading him.

Crisp Breakout

Jan 3, 2011
Chicago

For me, one of Gardiner or Rielly must be involved. That might kill your interest, but our biggest needs are a left handed top pairing defenseman and right handed first line wing.

Avs For Life

#92 #9 #29
Jul 4, 2012
Denver, CO
More than you would pay, that's been made quite clear throughout the discussions in the past.

In fact, needing to trade him for a top pairing defender won't be as much of a priority after the draft either.

I personally think we won't get the value needed to make it worth trading him.

This...

Plus we need a top 6 winger to play with Duchene and PAP.

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
I've seen a lot of folks state we need a top 6 winger to play with Duchene and PAP. I think it would be nice to have an upgrade there but am okay with what we have in the system but having seen this quite a few times it got me wondering...is it really just a generic upgrade that folks want or a certain type of player that is currently missing?

Personally, I'd like a clone of a healthy mid 2000s Svatos. With Duchene and PAP I think the AVs need a player who is great at getting into scoring positions and quickly receiving a pass and putting it on goal. I really haven't watched other teams near as much as I used to since I got CI because I pretty much have been glued to the AVs. Who would be considered a comparable player? Are there any similar players coming up in FA or that might be had in trade?

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011
I've seen a lot of folks state we need a top 6 winger to play with Duchene and PAP. I think it would be nice to have an upgrade there but am okay with what we have in the system but having seen this quite a few times it got me wondering...is it really just a generic upgrade that folks want or a certain type of player that is currently missing?

Personally, I'd like a clone of a healthy mid 2000s Svatos. With Duchene and PAP I think the AVs need a player who is great at getting into scoring positions and quickly receiving a pass and putting it on goal. I really haven't watched other teams near as much as I used to since I got CI because I pretty much have been glued to the AVs. Who would be considered a comparable player? Are there any similar players coming up in FA or that might be had in trade?

I think with EJ, Siemens, Jones, Barrie, Elliott, we are fine in the young D department. Especially if Jones really can play the left side. Another " Hejda " would be great. Because otherwise the D would be awfully young. But you can probably get a solid vet in FA or in a secondary trade. So if we trade one of ROR / Stastny,
we need a sniper back.
The one thing missing on this team is a sniper that gets you 30 goals each and every year. Landeskog or Duchene can score but I am not too impressed with their shots.

So JVR for Stastny might make some sense but I am drawing a blank on his playing style right here. I know that he scores goals. But how is his shot?

Semin last year would have been perfect but I would prefer a younger cheaper (less skilled) version.

Otherwise we have to restock our prospect pool and rebuild our bottom 6. Goaltender and defense (need Jones and one vet!) and center (Malone for #4 C) looks fine to me right now.

avsfan09

Dec 17, 2010
Nova Scotia
You brought the notion of "facts" into this conversation. I simply stated the facts and as we have both said the facts are based off of a small sample size. Facts really have nothing to do with projecting what a player may turn out to be. Projections are mostly based on opinions and not really facts but you wanted to go to the facts.

You can project Barrie or Elliott to be whatever you'd like but in my opinion I think they are both being over-hyped by a lot of people on HFBoards. I see them to be OK offensively but nothing special and a bit below average defensively.

I was impressed with both of them defensively. They made a few mistakes but they both displayed good stick skills and made some nice stops this year. I think Elliott must have worked on his defensive game in the AHL. He looked at the end of the year defensively than he did last year.

They will be extremely valuable players not because they are great defensively but because they manage the puck well(which leads to offense).
I can't explain it any better than this article:http://www.jibblescribbits.com/2013...roster-move-proving-they-are-nincompoops.html

They may be slightly below average at the moment but they won't be in future. They, like every other young player to ever play in the league will refine their games.

Edit: They may have only impressed me defensively because of two years of O'byrne, Hunwick, SOB and a year of Zannon.

Last edited:

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis

Well, lets just say that Carl Gunnarsson is not near enough for the Avs to trade Stastny. And that we have little need for Gunnar on our Defense at this point when you factor in Jones and all our young guys.

And I am guessing that was who you had in mind as the player from TOR's end considering that every single Leafs fan on the Leafs bored seems certain that Gunnar for Stastny is a fair deal for both sides.

Some crazy crazy things are said in the Leafs proposal section. It's a bad place.

AvsRobin

Size doesn't matter!
Aug 10, 2010
Stockholm
I wouldn't mind Gunnarsson. I think he would be a real good player next to Jones. (if we draft him)

I don't think highly of Stastnys trade value, but it would obviously take a little bit more than Gunnarsson alone. And no, we do NOT want O'Byrne back ;)

abdew29

Aug 4, 2011
Toronto
don't you guys think Statsny is being overrated just a little bit, simply because he plays third line minutes on your team and is below Duchenne and ROR in the depth chart?

And whats with all this sarcasm? I'm not sure what discussion you guys had with other Leafs Board members, but I wasn't part of that. Sheesh kabobs people, take it easy.

AvsRobin

Size doesn't matter!
Aug 10, 2010
Stockholm
don't you guys think Statsny is being overrated just a little bit, simply because he plays third line minutes on your team and is below Duchenne and ROR in the depth chart?

And whats with all this sarcasm? I'm not sure what discussion you guys had with other Leafs Board members, but I wasn't part of that. Sheesh kabobs people, take it easy.

I think reality will strike most Avs fans hard when they see the return we get for Stastny when he is traded.

Right now, I can't imagine his value being high at all.

Taak19

Sep 22, 2011

If you search 'Stastny to Toronto' that should give you some sort of idea on what we have been dealing with for the past number of years.

I for one would love to see what Stastny can do in a new system with a new coach next year. And hopefully some better linemates.

Huis Clos*

No. You don't have to be here either.

I think reality will strike most Avs fans hard when they see the return we get for Stastny when he is traded.

Right now, I can't imagine his value being high at all.

If Stastny is traded the return better be damn good. If it isn't it won't be long before most here are bemoaning the trade as the "latest one to get away".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad