Rumor: In-season Proposals, Rumors, Free Agents & Roster Moves (related topics) LXXXIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
nate mackinnon contract what do you do?

A) wait until next season is over or negotiate during it if he plays like a legit star

B) push for a bridge now (2-3 yrs)

C) go long-term now (guessing around 6-7 mil)

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
If MacK will sign an 8 year deal, do it now!!!! Don't care if it is 6-7... hell even 8m. He will be worth every penny, and the longer the Avs wait, the higher that cost will be.

Lonewolfe2015

Rom Com Male Lead
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2007
If MacK will sign an 8 year deal, do it now!!!! Don't care if it is 6-7... hell even 8m. He will be worth every penny, and the longer the Avs wait, the higher that cost will be.

I feel that with a player like MacKinnon you need to give him something to work towards. A big contract now might not give him that extra motivation.

I may be completely off base and we all know he has the natural talent, I'm just worried we might want to wait until the end of the year to give him such a deal.

AvsRobin

Size doesn't matter!
Aug 10, 2010
Stockholm

I want EJ, Barrie and Mac signed this summer. Hopefully O'Reilly too.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
I'm cool with giving MacKinnon a big long-term extension now but please just extend the others before handing the keys to the Pepsi Center to a kid who hasn't proven much. I think he'll be worth every penny, no matter what they give him. I just don't want another offseason of hearing rumours about hurt feelings. First extend EJ, O'Reilly, and Barrie and then give MacKinnon whatever you want.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
I feel that with a player like MacKinnon you need to give him something to work towards. A big contract now might not give him that extra motivation.

I may be completely off base and we all know he has the natural talent, I'm just worried we might want to wait until the end of the year to give him such a deal.

I think he is plenty motivated on his own. The kid wants to be the best.

If the Avs give him a 2 year bridge... I wouldn't be shocked if he got near Towes money by the end of that deal. I know people are a bit down on him after this season, but he has legit 85-90 point talent. Those players are going to start at $9m+ here really soon. Get it done now and save in the long run.

I want EJ, Barrie and Mac signed this summer. Hopefully O'Reilly too.

Agreed. As long as they are semi reasonable, I would prefer 8 year deals on all of them. Just get it done and over with for the long-term. It might hurt in the short term, but 3-4 years down the road they would all be good deals.

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
I'd prefer long-term with MacKinnon too, but he's third or fourth on the priority list after EJ and ROR. I have no concerns about MacKinnon not being motivated if he gets a long term deal, and I'd rather not deal with the inevitable massive deal he would get if he took a bridge contract. He's going to be a star, it's just a matter of when it happens.

Lonewolfe2015

Rom Com Male Lead
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2007
If the Avs give him a 2 year bridge... I wouldn't be shocked if he got near Towes money by the end of that deal. I know people are a bit down on him after this season, but he has legit 85-90 point talent. Those players are going to start at $9m+ here really soon. Get it done now and save in the long run.

I'd just rather wait and see what type of season he has first. I'm not convinced handing him a big contract after last year is the best decision yet. That being said, I'm still not even convinced he's going to be much better than Duchene.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
I'd just rather wait and see what type of season he has first. I'm not convinced handing him a big contract after last year is the best decision yet. That being said, I'm still not even convinced he's going to be much better than Duchene.

The risk in waiting is you put yourself in situation to pay 2-3+ more million per year just because you wanted to him to 'prove it.' It is fine in certain cases to do that, but on sure things, it always hurts teams in the end. MacK is one of those sure things.

You can quote me in a few years, but MacK will be a level or two above Duchene. MacK will be a perennial top 5-7 sort of scorer, with better defense than Duchene.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Avs have been "safe" with both O'Reilly and Barrie and they're going to pay for it in a big way. Just take the risk, even though I don't think it's much of a risk, and pay MacKinnon before things get too crazy.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
And on the other side, they believed in Landy and now have a steal of a contact through 2021 with him.

Lonewolfe2015

Rom Com Male Lead
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2007
The risk in waiting is you put yourself in situation to pay 2-3+ more million per year just because you wanted to him to 'prove it.' It is fine in certain cases to do that, but on sure things, it always hurts teams in the end. MacK is one of those sure things.

You can quote me in a few years, but MacK will be a level or two above Duchene. MacK will be a perennial top 5-7 sort of scorer, with better defense than Duchene.

Oh I've already made my point (and others). In a few years it will be interesting to look back on my poll before MacK's rookie year and see where people stood on Duchy v MacK.

As for this, if we're discussing giving MacK a 7 or 8 mil per year contract, I can't see him going much higher than 8 mil in one season of play. If you give him a bridge deal, perhaps you end up adding 1mil on top (e.g. a 4x2 contract, tack on 1mil per year of an 8 year deal to balance it out over 10 years total).

But to say if we let him play out this year he'll be making 1-2mil more than extending him now seems odd. He's not going to accept 6mil for 6-8 years probably (if he does, sign him) and I'd rather discuss contract extensions in the 7+ range once he's on a hot streak and playing well. Just my opinion.

To be fair, I did say to extend Barrie long term last year. So I do appreciate that perspective. I wanted Barrie locked up at 4.5-4.75x5-6 years because I knew he'd have a 50+ point year and start approaching 5.5mil territory if we didn't.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
And on the other side, they believed in Landy and now have a steal of a contact through 2021 with him.

Yep, one of the best decisions made by this team!

I'm torn on a deal for MacKinnon right now because his first 2 seasons were almost polar opposites of one another--we have no way to gauge where he'll be in Year 3. I am leaning towards what you're saying though, go big right now. Try and get him on a 7-8 year deal for about a 6-7M range deal, it COULD hurt in the first 1-2 years when the extension kicks in, but the Avs will see a major positive return on that investment for the majority of that contract's duration.

Nihiliste

Feb 8, 2010
Agreed. As long as they are semi reasonable, I would prefer 8 year deals on all of them. Just get it done and over with for the long-term. It might hurt in the short term, but 3-4 years down the road they would all be good deals.

Agreed. Lock them all up to long term deals, Mac and Barrie for as many years as they'll sign.

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA
MacK is as close to a lock to be at least above very good over his career as the Avs have had in a while.

Long term now gets my vote.

FoppaForsberg*

God no, he has a nonstop motor. He won't stop until he's the best player in the league, and he won't be, so.

hockeyfish

Feb 23, 2007
DENVER!!!!!!!
Avs have been "safe" with both O'Reilly and Barrie and they're going to pay for it in a big way. Just take the risk, even though I don't think it's much of a risk, and pay MacKinnon before things get too crazy.

It's almost certainly the other way around. O'Reilly and Barrie took massive risks and have seen it pay off big time. O'Reilly could have locked himself into 5-6 years at 4 million not too long ago. Now he is looking at full term and 6 +. Barrie was certainly offered some long term ideas during the off season. He will now make bank. I'm sure the Avs wish they would have taken these deals, and I'm sure they were fair at the time.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
It's almost certainly the other way around. O'Reilly and Barrie took massive risks and have seen it pay off big time. O'Reilly could have locked himself into 5-6 years at 4 million not too long ago. Now he is looking at full term and 6 +. Barrie was certainly offered some long term ideas during the off season. He will now make bank. I'm sure the Avs wish they would have taken these deals, and I'm sure they were fair at the time.

O'Reilly and Barrie bet on themselves and it's paying off. Avs offering them long-term deals that would be steals for the team isn't risky at all. They didn't want to pay what it would have taken to lock those guys up and now they're going to pay much more to get it done.

It's all hindsight and at the time I'm pretty sure I said I wouldn't have given O'Reilly $5M/yr or Barrie whatever he wanted but I'd just like to see them avoid that with MacKinnon now.

Colorado Avalanche

No Babe pictures
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2004
Lieto
O'Reilly and Barrie bet on themselves and it's paying off. Avs offering them long-term deals that would be steals for the team isn't risky at all. They didn't want to pay what it would have taken to lock those guys up and now they're going to pay much more to get it done.

It's all hindsight and at the time I'm pretty sure I said I wouldn't have given O'Reilly $5M/yr or Barrie whatever he wanted but I'd just like to see them avoid that with MacKinnon now.

After his first good season ROR wanted long-term like 5 mil. No way I would offer that to him after one good season. We did the right thing with him, but sometimes these things happen. Most of the time these ROR calibre players wont improve like him. ROR is one of a kind in this league I think. When it comes to improving and so on. He seems to improve every season.(Anyway, maybe Sakic&Roy would have offered him some long-term deal. It's tough to say, they werent leading this team back then when we had first problem with ROR.)

Barrie was AHL player last season, people seem to forget that and had decent season in NHL, but he was terrible defensively. Throwing him huge contract last off-season would have been huge risk as well. I think Roy&Sakic has made correct decisions with them. They are ready to sign long-term players whom they trust, like landy, Duchene and Varlamov. Basically all those paid off.

landy92mack29

May 5, 2014
saskatchewan

The first 2 years of Landeskog+Mackinnon's careers are very similar.

1st years both were great and won the calder
2nd years both were subpar and had injuries

Landeskog signed a 7 year 39 million deal and I'm hoping the avs sign Mackinnon to a similar extension. Say 7 yrs 40.25 million or 8 yrs 48 million

Matheus

Jan 22, 2015
Rio Grande Do Sul
My predictions:
- Mack had a tough season but is by far is the most skilled player on the avs in a long time, sign a long term NOW or pay a ton of money later, Now is somethig like 7 or 7,5

- Duch not have any hometown discount, he get a far price
- ROR he is one of the most important guys for our future and value more than we tougth but less that he thinks ( his value is something like 6,5 or 7)

- Valry is a steal
- Landy is a steal

- EJ his value is something about 6,5 or 7
- Barrie now is 5,5 or 6

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad