Rumor: In-season Proposals, Rumors, Free Agents & Roster Moves (related topics) LXII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
MacK will be the first one to break the structure if he lives up to his potential. Towes and Kane are elite players, and get paid like elite players.

The structure will be irrelevant when EJ and MacKinnon are re-signed. It's just a question of how much damage it can do until then.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
None if ROR is reasonable...

He most likely won't be $6M/year reasonable on a long term deal. So is it worth letting two of the three great two way forwards on the team walk in one summer over a structure that's already obsolete?

hockeyfish

Feb 23, 2007
DENVER!!!!!!!
yeah, it's possible. unless they trade him for rental (and maybe something else) this season.

Problem is, again, they can't get any real cap hit back. If I had to make an educated guess where and for what he will be traded (kind of if, but he makes the most sense), Pitt for Despres and a 1st makes the most sense.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
or avs. we don't know what they are willing to offer.

We have an idea though... 5.5-6.0m at least in that range based on what they have talked about on the structure and what Varly, Duchene, and Landy have all signed for. Which is reasonable for ROR and very comparable around the league.

He most likely won't be $6M/year reasonable on a long term deal. So is it worth letting two of the three great two way forwards on the team walk in one summer over a structure that's already obsolete?

It really isn't. ROR is a RFA whether he likes that or not. Totally different market than UFAs.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
I did the math on the O'Reilly thread, they can't pay much more than 6. It's not an artificial limit.

They could pay O'Reilly $7M and still fit him and Barrie in on the roster. You don't let O'Reilly walk over a few hundred thousand dollars just to keep Ryan Wilson as the ninth defender on the roster.

Former Ladder

Thanks Noob Noob
Dec 31, 2013
United States
I find it surprising people are putting EJ up to break the $6M structure. He is a great defenseman but has yet to prove elite. He is part of our core but I would be surprised if he makes more than $5.5 AAV on his next deal and that is being generous.

hockeyfish

Feb 23, 2007
DENVER!!!!!!!
I find it surprising people are putting EJ up to break the $6M structure. He is a great defenseman but has yet to prove elite. He is part of our core but I would be surprised if he makes more than $5.5 AAV on his next deal and that is being generous.

Considering he is twice the defender than anyone on free agency, and many of them got that much, you wrong.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
I don't believe the Gio+Baertschi+2015 rumour, but I think that would be a really good haul for an un-sign RFA O'Reilly.

I value Gio more than Ehrhoff, easily the best defenseman the Avs could acquire.
Baertschi would look much better in our offensive core than the Flames.
And a potential top 5-7 pick in the 2015 draft, which is mega deep for the likes of Hanifin, Barzal, or even Kylington.

Personally I think the best move is to RE-sign him, but that would be a good trade. Especially if all we gave up was Elliott or Siemens.

Former Ladder

Thanks Noob Noob
Dec 31, 2013
United States
Considering he is twice the defender than anyone on free agency, and many of them got that much, you wrong.

If EJ is really looking at market value and to bolt to a team with bigger defensive issues than ours, yes. On our team, if he proves next year that he can keep taking steps forward, maybe he can land a Landy sized contract. I think that is about max though.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Yea unless EJ finishes with another couple huge seasons. Like in the 50 points with great D, and good playoff performances, I think he'll garner the same $5.5-6M the rest are getting.

In fact, I bet that's what he signs for next summer a year early. The Avs seem to like doing this, and I think it's really smart. They avoid the contract year bumping up salary demands, and the players seem to find it in their best interest to just get a deal done early too.

They seem to find the sweet spot number wise for where it just makes enough sense to forego possibly getting more by waiting a year, but still being a solid deal for the Avs. In fact, it seems like these year early deals are actually closer to the true value of the player.

Colorado Avalanche

No Babe pictures
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2004
Lieto

Well if he makes it to UFA, expect him to get at least Phaneuf money. Start with 7 mil and 5+ years. (Assuming EJ keeps playing like he played last season for next 2 seasons.. He will paid A LOT.)

CB Joe

Oct 12, 2008

I agree.

CB Joe

Oct 12, 2008
I don't believe the Gio+Baertschi+2015 rumour, but I think that would be a really good haul for an un-sign RFA O'Reilly.

I value Gio more than Ehrhoff, easily the best defenseman the Avs could acquire.
Baertschi would look much better in our offensive core than the Flames.
And a potential top 5-7 pick in the 2015 draft, which is mega deep for the likes of Hanifin, Barzal, or even Kylington.

Personally I think the best move is to RE-sign him, but that would be a good trade. Especially if all we gave up was Elliott or Siemens.

And that might be high, I could easily see the Flames as a bottom 5 team.

hockeyfish

Feb 23, 2007
DENVER!!!!!!!
Capgeek is fun

CAPGEEK.COM ARMCHAIR GM ROSTER
CapGeek Armchair GM Roster
FORWARDS
Alex Tanguay ($3.500m) / Matt Duchene ($6.000m) / Jarome Iginla ($5.333m)
Gabriel Landeskog ($5.571m) / Nathan MacKinnon ($0.925m) / Alexander Radulov ($5.000m)
Sven Baertschi ($0.894m) / Daniel Briere ($4.000m) / Jamie McGinn ($2.950m)
Cody McLeod ($1.150m) / John Mitchell ($1.800m) / Maxime Talbot ($1.750m)
Jesse Winchester ($0.900m) /
DEFENSEMEN
Mark Giordano ($4.020m) / Erik Johnson ($3.750m)
Jan Hejda ($3.250m) / Tyson Barrie ($3.000m)
Brad Stuart ($3.600m) / Nick Holden ($0.600m)
Maxim Noreau ($0.625m) / Zach Redmond ($0.750m)
GOALTENDERS
Semyon Varlamov ($5.900m)
Reto Berra ($1.450m)
BUYOUTS
Greg Zanon ($0.750m)
BONUS OVERAGE
$0
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(estimations for 2014-15)
SALARY CAP: $69,000,000; CAP PAYROLL: $67,468,929; BONUSES: $3,381,250
CAP SPACE (23-man roster): $1,531,071

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad