In-season Proposals, Rumors, Free Agents & Roster Moves (related topics) LX

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cypher

May 25, 2011
Edmonton
avalanche.nhl.com
Wonder if Silent Jay would come back; haven't heard much on the Leafs front.

RoR - Dutch - Pap
Lando - Stats - Mack
Morgan - Malkin - Tangs
Highlander - Silent Jay - Tallbutt

PK

Lando - ROR
Tallbutt - Silent Jay

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
The Winnik moves in mysterious ways. This is the second straight team that's announced they will not try to bring him back well before July 1st. He seems to have very high salary demands to stay.

He has build a reputation as a solid defensive forward so he might get a good contract this time.

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
Last year the Avs (Roy and Sakic) held a conference call after the draft and before free agency with the season ticket holders and discussed everything. I'm hopeful they'll do another one this year. I emailed my ticket rep to see if they will.

Stonewall

Jan 14, 2013
If so, people need to speak up about the uniforms. Make your voices heard that we need new ones.

Drury_Sakic

Jul 25, 2003
www.avalanchedb.com
As much as Winnik and McClement are good depth players, they are not really what the Avs are looking for given the fact that Avs have McLeod, Cliche, Talbot, Mitchell and Bords on the roster.

The only of those players I really see the Avs potentially replacing on the roster is Cliche, as his inability to score goals hurt the Avs in the playoffs when he needed to move up a line. McClement does not fix that problem, though he is probably slightly better defensively.

I could see Bords become a not everyday type player, but again I see that coming from Cliche getting bumped down the chart by another center and Bords and Cliche split time as needed.

In a best case situation next year if the Avs can get O'Reilly and Stastny signed and Tanguay is healthy...

O'Reilly-Duchene-Mac
Lando-Stastny-Tanguay
McGinn-Mitchell-PAP
McLeod-Cliche-Talbot

PAP could be traded I guess, meaning the Avs would be looking for a 3rd line winger that has some offensive ability. Maybe that is Winnik? But I would guess the desire would be to go get someone a bit more physical, not a fighter per say but a grinder. Winnik never has been a guy to me that wears the other teams best players down.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
As much as Winnik and McClement are good depth players, they are not really what the Avs are looking for given the fact that Avs have McLeod, Cliche, Talbot, Mitchell and Bords on the roster.

The only of those players I really see the Avs potentially replacing on the roster is Cliche, as his inability to score goals hurt the Avs in the playoffs when he needed to move up a line. McClement does not fix that problem, though he is probably slightly better defensively.

I could see Bords become a not everyday type player, but again I see that coming from Cliche getting bumped down the chart by another center and Bords and Cliche split time as needed.

In a best case situation next year if the Avs can get O'Reilly and Stastny signed and Tanguay is healthy...

O'Reilly-Duchene-Mac
Lando-Stastny-Tanguay
McGinn-Mitchell-PAP
McLeod-Cliche-Talbot

PAP could be traded I guess, meaning the Avs would be looking for a 3rd line winger that has some offensive ability. Maybe that is Winnik? But I would guess the desire would be to go get someone a bit more physical, not a fighter per say but a grinder. Winnik never has been a guy to me that wears the other teams best players down.

You go on and on about having depth, and then you say that having Mitchell on the third line when the roster is healthy, and Cliche as the fourth center is ideal?

:help: ?

VikingAv

Mediiic!!
Jun 18, 2006
Norway
Wonder if Silent Jay would come back; haven't heard much on the Leafs front.

RoR - Dutch - Pap
Lando - Stats - Mack
Morgan - Malkin - Tangs
Highlander - Silent Jay - Tallbutt

PK

Lando - ROR

Tallbutt - Silent Jay

Yeah, the bolded ain't happening.

Drury_Sakic

Jul 25, 2003
www.avalanchedb.com
You go on and on about having depth, and then you say that having Mitchell on the third line when the roster is healthy, and Cliche as the fourth center is ideal?

:help: ?

In regards to McClement and Winnik, the team has enough of those players is my point. Both are very minor upgrades IMO, thus they are the wrong direction to think in and waste money. If you are upgrading it is to bump Mitchell down and bring in a better 3rd line player than Winnik.

And yes, Mitchell will be the 3rd line center if the Avs do sign O'Reilly and Stastny. If that happens the Avs will not be putting much more into the forwards fiscally. And do not sell Malkin short, just look to how much they missed him in the playoffs.

Lonewolfe2015

Rom Com Male Lead
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2007
And yes, Mitchell will be the 3rd line center if the Avs do sign O'Reilly and Stastny. If that happens the Avs will not be putting much more into the forwards fiscally. And do not sell Malkin short, just look to how much they missed him in the playoffs.

They only missed him because they didn't have a better 4th line center than Cliche and because Duchene was out.

Sign McClement to bump out Cliche, Mitchell goes down and we'll just notice the lack of puck hogging in the playoffs. It might actually be refreshing after the ~80 games of keepaway he'll subject us to each year.

hockeyfish

Feb 23, 2007
DENVER!!!!!!!
CAPGEEK.COM ARMCHAIR GM ROSTER
CapGeek Armchair GM Roster
FORWARDS
Alex Tanguay ($3.500m) / Matt Duchene ($6.000m) / Jarome Iginla ($6.000m)
Gabriel Landeskog ($5.571m) / Paul Stastny ($6.000m) / Nathan MacKinnon ($0.925m)
Jamie McGinn ($2.950m) / J.T. Miller ($0.894m) / Maxime Talbot ($1.750m)
Cody McLeod ($1.150m) / John Mitchell ($1.800m) / Patrick Bordeleau ($1.000m)
Marc-Andre Cliche ($0.700m) /
DEFENSEMEN
Marc Staal ($3.975m) / Erik Johnson ($3.750m)
Jan Hejda ($3.250m) / Tyson Barrie ($2.750m)
Nick Holden ($0.600m) / Eric Gryba ($2.000m)
Nate Guenin ($0.800m) / Ryan Wilson ($2.250m)
GOALTENDERS
Semyon Varlamov ($5.900m)
Reto Berra ($1.450m)
BUYOUTS
Greg Zanon ($0.750m)
BONUS OVERAGE
$0
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(estimations for 2014-15)
SALARY CAP: $71,100,000; CAP PAYROLL: $65,715,595; BONUSES: $3,200,000
CAP SPACE (23-man roster): $5,384,405

Comments? Trades are O'Reilly and Elliot for Staal and JT Miller, then PAP to Ott for Eric Gryba + something else. Stastny is signed 6x6, and Iginla gets a 6x2 deal.

Alex Jones

BIG BOWL 'A CHILI!!
Jun 8, 2009
Conspiratron 9000
The only thing that really needs to happen in the bottom six is getting rid of Cliche. Bordeleau isn't a guy I want playing every night, but he is manageable.

hockeyfish

Feb 23, 2007
DENVER!!!!!!!
We aren't getting Iginla.

I could see us in on him if we wind up losing one of the two forwards. Plus, I have a feeling that Boston will look to move on to other options, rather than try to dump players to bring him back. They already need to dump someone anyway.

By the way, when will the cap be announced?

ABasin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2002
The Winnik moves in mysterious ways. This is the second straight team that's announced they will not try to bring him back well before July 1st. He seems to have very high salary demands to stay.

He has build a reputation as a solid defensive forward so he might get a good contract this time.

I like Winnik also. Though if he and Mitchell played on the same line, that other wing would never touch the puck. ;)

Zandar

Jan 20, 2007
CAPGEEK.COM ARMCHAIR GM ROSTER
CapGeek Armchair GM Roster
FORWARDS
Alex Tanguay ($3.500m) / Matt Duchene ($6.000m) / Jarome Iginla ($6.000m)
Gabriel Landeskog ($5.571m) / Paul Stastny ($6.000m) / Nathan MacKinnon ($0.925m)
Jamie McGinn ($2.950m) / J.T. Miller ($0.894m) / Maxime Talbot ($1.750m)
Cody McLeod ($1.150m) / John Mitchell ($1.800m) / Patrick Bordeleau ($1.000m)
Marc-Andre Cliche ($0.700m) /
DEFENSEMEN
Marc Staal ($3.975m) / Erik Johnson ($3.750m)
Jan Hejda ($3.250m) / Tyson Barrie ($2.750m)
Nick Holden ($0.600m) / Eric Gryba ($2.000m)
Nate Guenin ($0.800m) / Ryan Wilson ($2.250m)
GOALTENDERS
Semyon Varlamov ($5.900m)
Reto Berra ($1.450m)
BUYOUTS
Greg Zanon ($0.750m)
BONUS OVERAGE
$0
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(estimations for 2014-15)
SALARY CAP: $71,100,000; CAP PAYROLL: $65,715,595; BONUSES: $3,200,000
CAP SPACE (23-man roster): $5,384,405

Comments? Trades are O'Reilly and Elliot for Staal and JT Miller, then PAP to Ott for Eric Gryba + something else. Stastny is signed 6x6, and Iginla gets a 6x2 deal.

Staal better be a signed/extended Staal ;)
And why is everyone trying to dump Elliott? Seems every trade wants to include one of the few RDs the Avs have. Not to mention a great skater, passer and excellent shot FROM THE DEFENSE. No one in the system can do what Elliott has the ability to do. Unfortunately he's in the west. Takes longer

hockeyfish

Feb 23, 2007
DENVER!!!!!!!
Staal better be a signed/extended Staal ;)
And why is everyone trying to dump Elliott? Seems every trade wants to include one of the few RDs the Avs have. Not to mention a great skater, passer and excellent shot FROM THE DEFENSE. No one in the system can do what Elliott has the ability to do. Unfortunately he's in the west. Takes longer

Elliot still has some potential, I just don't see where he fits into the future of the team. I'd rather have a bigger, more defensive 3rd pairing guy, and no way he beats out Barrie. And we can't stash him away in the minors any more, so it's decision time. To me, his best value to the team is in a trade.

As for Staal, I don't think extending him will be as hard as people think. It's like Vanek, people just assume he is going to a certain location because of hometown/brothers, despite zero hard evidence that is even on his mind.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad