In-Season Buyouts

RiskyBryzness

Nov 25, 2014
How would you react if Hextall announced they were buying out (or a partial-salary dump trade) any of Lecavalier, Umberger, Grossmann, MacDonald?

It was great to see that they scratched MacDonald today, but it is a bit alarming that they played Lecavalier and Umberger over Bellemare, who has been a pleasant surprise this season.

Sawdalite

SelectLouNolan4PFHoF
Apr 5, 2009
Frost-Bite Fails Minnesota
In response to a similar question last night, with the help of CapGeek, I worked out these Cap Hits on June, 2015 Buyouts of Vinny, Umby and Mac... To be clear the following is the Dead Cap Space going forward for a long, long time... so the players must be replaced by players who would add Cap Hits above these numbers:

2015-16 $8,572K
2016-17 $6,332K
2017-18 $5,722K
2018-19 $3,122K
2019-20 $2,472K
2020-21 $2,472K
2021-22 $1,583K
2022-23 $1,583K
2023-24 $1,583K

Please note that a buyout can only be done during fifteen days or so each June, so in-Season Buyouts are not possible under the Current CBA if I understand it correctly... Also, the Buyout of Grossmann would add on to the above number for the length of his current contract and beyond... I have not worked out those numbers.

Last edited:

Sawdalite

SelectLouNolan4PFHoF
Apr 5, 2009
Frost-Bite Fails Minnesota
With those numbers established I have to respond to the OP by saying that I'm not thrilled with having so much dead Cap Space hampering the Cap Maximum Amount for so long a time... and yes I do understand that there would be increased Cap Space totaling the offset difference between their present Cap Hits and the Buyout Penalties.

Ideally it would be better to either dump the contracts or, better yet, find a way to use the forwards in a manner that utilizes their remaining assets for the betterment of the Team and use the D-Men with the best pairings and over the best TOI per game and per opponent.

That said I personally believe that placing the blame on those players for the current situation is merely finding scapegoats... The problem IMO is with icing the Team that meshes best and to get the most out of each player... and to direct them properly. That is something that is not being done at the present time.

IMO since Hextall has taken control... factoring in the loss of Kimmo and the injuries -- which actually, when at its height, saw them playing at their best... go figure -- the Flyers have been instructed to play differently as to eliminate many of their shorthanded situations... this has IMO caused the Flyers to alter their game and maybe be more tentative, and at the very least, play differently... Hexy has also frankly laughed at the skating and work ethic of Hartnell at at least the Town Hall and probably at other times. He made an awful trade in dumping Hartnell a the Team is missing him in many ways now, while Umberger is doing little in taking his roster spot. At best a bit of longer-term Cap Space was gained. I also don't see the roster as situated being one that can play well enough to compete game in and game out... the talent is there but the effort and results are not.

I agree that Hextall has carried over the long-term plans Homer started for building the Defense from within and also has made strides in an effort do so with the entire team... but it must be stressed that having talent but not having the best roster playing to their best capabilities means little... as we can see with the talented forwards we presently have. Many blame Berube and/or Homer, but I see it as the same basic key personnel less Hartnell, playing with the direction of Hextall, is not playing as well as they were last Season while still under Berube.

So my reaction to such buyouts would not be a an optimistic one.

RiskyBryzness

Nov 25, 2014
... BTW: That is a very cool Screen Name, RiskyBryzness... but being that you just joined, wouldn't you say that you are a little late to the party with it? ;)

Haha thank you. I originally created it on another site a few years ago and it is my twitter handle now

After looking more into it and thinking about it more i'd have to agree with you. Its not worth having that much dead cap space, but it would be really great if Hexy could manage to trade away a few of the dead contracts, at least one. Maybe a potential buyout/trade of Grossmann or AMac once the young d-men are more established in a year or 2.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad