In rink music and sound effects

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I was always under the impression that teams could not play music or sound effects during game play. But tonight I have noticed that in Colorado when a PK ends they play the 1up sound from Mario Bros. (Which is pretty cool and clever, I must admit). Was I mistaken on what was allowed, or has it recently changed? Please keep in mind, I am not complaining, just curious as to what the league has allowed in the past and for how long.

Reactions: Stive Morgan

Kreegz2

Dec 11, 2011
I think music must be stopped when the puck is dropped, but short audio cues are allowed. I know that for at least two decades the blues have rung a bell in sync with the towel man counting out the number of goals we've scored, even during live play. example here:

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I think music must be stopped when the puck is dropped, but short audio cues are allowed. I know that for at least two decades the blues have rung a bell in sync with the towel man counting out the number of goals we've scored, even during live play. example here:

I appreciate the reply and I have noticed that with the Blues. I Dunno, but this just seems different, maybe because it involves something that could help the home team.

EightyOne

My posts are jokes. And hockey is just a game.
Nov 23, 2016
Either Anaheim or LA, or both, have used the Mario 1UP sound effect for the same for YEARS.

The Sharks, since I can remember, have had this Dunn-Dunnnn! sound after announcing the goal scorer/assists. This usually happens some time after the faceoff following a goal--thereby noise during play.

I dont think the league super cares. At least no more than they care about actually calling penalties consistently on the ice...

Calgarybrutalist

Apr 2, 2014
It's the growth mushroom/flower sound effect, not 1 up. And Colorado's been doing it for at least three seasons.

EightyOne

My posts are jokes. And hockey is just a game.
Nov 23, 2016
Meh. Mushroom/Big Mario is essentially a 1Up...it gives you an extra hit.

Bottomline..

I think any sound that can't be mistaken for a whistle or goal/end of period horn is okay. I'd imagine length of noise as short as possible and as infrequent as possible is also a component.

Edit: also, if people weren't such turds I'd have a NES/SNES Classic in my possession and be fully in tune with Mario sounds again. Scalping jerks ruined it.

Calgarybrutalist

Apr 2, 2014
Sorry that I don't have all the sound effect for a game I haven't played since I was 12 straight :rolleyes:
Just getting the facts straight. Ive never played the game except maybe once on an emulator, but Ive seen enough references to know.
Meh. Mushroom/Big Mario is essentially a 1Up...it gives you an extra hit.

Bottomline..

I think any sound that can't be mistaken for a whistle or goal/end of period horn is okay. I'd imagine length of noise as short as possible and as infrequent as possible is also a component.

Edit: also, if people weren't such turds I'd have a NES/SNES Classic in my possession and be fully in tune with Mario sounds again. Scalping jerks ruined it.
Doesnt help you if you jump off a cliff though, so it's not really a 1up at all.

Reactions: talkinaway

SenzZen

RIP, GOAT
Jan 31, 2011
Ottawa
They also blast visiting players in the face with strobe lights, so I don't know that they're the gold standard for the league...

MaxDummy

Yeah
Jul 3, 2011
Laval
They also blast visiting players in the face with strobe lights, so I don't know that they're the gold standard for the league...

Can this mess with a guy who has suffered many concussions? Legit question even if it's probably a stupid one

talkinaway

Mar 19, 2014
On the couch
I noticed the mushroom noise during play too...one team the Bruins played recently did this, so it was either New Jersey (probably not) or one of the three California teams. I vaguely remember reading something about continuous music being prohibited, but I'm not sure where I read that, and if it's an actual rule or a guideline. It's probably not a game issue - it's probably more of a copyright issue, because the regional sports networks may not have the right to air "Back in Black". You can play 4-5 seconds of it (like right before they drop the puck for a faceoff), but you couldn't play a verse and chorus.

Either way, the mushroom noise is much less distracting than, say, the booming voice that comes when they announce the scoring 1-2 minutes after a goal. I don't think it gives either team an advantage, since it's telling all players on the ice "Hey, the PP's done." Plus, I'm sure the players know how much time is on the PP clock anyway, and check it at every whistle.

yangmang

Sep 28, 2006
do people watch games or focus on the music. who cares what music there playing

Zhamnov5GoalGame

Former Director of GDT Operations
Jan 14, 2012
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
After hearing some of those sound effects the last few years I in a tongue and cheek way I said that Colorado as the Mile High City (and a legal location for it) should use the familiar (to some) bubbling water noise of a particular device as one of these sounds ;)

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
do people watch games or focus on the music. who cares what music there playing
Well considering I haven't missed a Flames game in probably 15 years and this was the first time I noticed it, despite it apparently being common in division rivals rinks, I would say that I generally pay more attention to the game. I just happened to notice the sound effect this time and once I noticed it, I began to notice it everytime.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad