In Praise of Brian Campbell

SufferingCatFan

Apr 6, 2008
fort lauderdale
Brian Campbell seems to be the constant target of unwarranted criticism on these boards. I do not share that view.

Last season, on one of the worst defenses in the NHL, BC was a -6. Playing with one of the worst offenses with the worst PP, BC chipped in 37 points (7 goals, 30 assists), one point off the team lead.

BC constantly makes the player that he is paired with on D look like a star. This season Ekblad has suddenly emerged. Last season, it was Gilbert, a free agent cast-off. How about Jason Garrison?

Campbell doesn't take penalties. He rarely misses time due to injury. He plays 25 minutes per game. etc. etc.

What does a player have to do to earn some respect around here?

adam graves

Panther 20 yr sth
Feb 24, 2010
south florida
I couldn't agree with you more.

Hes our only proven perennial all star, Luongo aside.

The problem is he's one of those players who's assets shine on a good team, not on a bad. A lst rate puck moving dman who has no one to pass it to is like Marino on a team with...well you know the rest.

Benched

Jan 2, 2007
A lot of people's problems with him, me included, is that he mails it in at the end of the year. You're getting paid to play every game, despite where we are in the standings. And he's also supposed to be one of our veteran leaders showing the kids the way.

spacemanatee

May 18, 2014
A lot of people's problems with him, me included, is that he mails it in at the end of the year. You're getting paid to play every game, despite where we are in the standings. And he's also supposed to be one of our veteran leaders showing the kids the way.

this. i agree.
it's like a slap in the face when he plays like he doesn't care.

Howboutthempanthers

Thread killer.
Sponsor
Sep 11, 2012
Brow. County, Fl.
Brian Campbell seems to be the constant target of unwarranted criticism on these boards. I do not share that view.

Last season, on one of the worst defenses in the NHL, BC was a -6. Playing with one of the worst offenses with the worst PP, BC chipped in 37 points (7 goals, 30 assists), one point off the team lead.

BC constantly makes the player that he is paired with on D look like a star. This season Ekblad has suddenly emerged. Last season, it was Gilbert, a free agent cast-off. How about Jason Garrison?

Campbell doesn't take penalties. He rarely misses time due to injury. He plays 25 minutes per game. etc. etc.

I don't like his playing style. Not everyone is going to feel the same way about every player. Otherwise, we need to make a Huberdeau appreciation thread. Ditto for Kulikov, Gudbranson, recently Barkov, Bjugstad, and so on. All have been at some point, hammered mercilessly for perceived or real lackluster play, which is fine, everyone is free to give critical assessment, but also note these players are all under age 24. Just about all of these guys (and everyone else for that matter) have been deemed expended/trade bait as soon as they make any mistake or their production slips.
Until the recent rumors about Campbell wanting out, nobody was talking about trading him for anything. It was outrageous to even bring the subject up.
He's 35 years old. I don't like implication that everyone (mostly the younger guys) are available because the team sucks and has been sucking for a couple of years now, but he is a keeper because even though he has been the most involved in the team's play those 2 years he escapes blame for the awful play of the team. I mean, what are we trying to do, build a team around Brian Campbell?
And also, I haven't criticized his play really this year. The defense has been solid, no need to waste energy criticizing.

This is a quote from another thread from someone else on this board and describes exactly what problems I have with his play, almost word for word:

"Every time he brings the puck up the ice, he holds the puck till our forwards are all bunched up in the neutral zone giving them no space to do anything.. He ALWAYS has to hold onto the puck and skate with it. Every power play, same thing. I'd like you to point out tonight how many breakout passes he has tonight that comes from anywhere in our defensive zone. THEN, he doesn't create ANYTHING in the offensive zone on the PP… He has no one timer, but seems to be content with lining up slow released slap shots that hit the net 1 out of 20 times"

This is what I see, and it just drives me crazy. He has to make a show about his skating every time he touches the puck, regardless of the situation.
But again, this is the first time I've really criticized him this year. I think he's trying to tone it down.

Last edited:

GrumpyKelly

May 15, 2011
Bottom of a bottle
Gotta have respect for a guy who can skate backwards like this...

Campbell3.gif

Olax

Jun 15, 2009
I agree with the OP. I'm still a big fan of Campbell and think he's underrated as hell on the Panthers boards.

He's easily the best pmd we've had in a long long time. I think his corsi statistic are pretty good considering our team overall performance the past few years. I think the main issue with most of the Campbell "haters" is that he looks lazy sometimes. I still think it's mostly about playing energy-efficient so to speak. I know he doesn't play 30 minutes every game but usually he logs the most minutes from our defense and you have to use your energy very carefully or otherwise you're going to have tough time in the 3rd period when the opposition comes flying and banging at you.

Soupys biggest asset is his puck moving skills and offensive game. If you use all your energy in your own end you will miss the energy to perform your own "bread and butter" in the other end. And still I think he's done a very good job in the own end considering all the effort he puts on the offensive game. He's by no means a defensive liability and defends pretty smartly most of the time. I'm sure that if Campbell would play 18-20 minutes per game on a regular basis (like he probably would for a team with elite defensive core), he could play with more speed and more noticable "effort". Though he never was and never has to be a physical, hard-hitting defensive player as long as he can keep his offensive game at this level.

A guy like Bergenheim, who is constantly giving 100% + plus flying and banging all over the ice, would look "lazier" if he'd be forced to play the same minutes like the best forwards in our league. Also Campbell doesn't have the same stamina as the younger players do. Older players mostly tend to change their style of play to a more smart and energy-efficient game as they age. The only difference is that some players suffer a significant performance drop at that point (Jovo a good example) because they can't replace the decreased physical traits with skill and good hockey IQ. Campbell still can and I think he can still play at a high level for quite a few years because all the skill he has.

-L-

Aksu

all hail Barky
Nov 10, 2013
Florida
Nice post, totally agree with you. Yes, I too wanted to get rid of Campbell a couple games ago. Its nothing new from us, when we're losing we try to find something to blame on and rarely look at the positive details. Love the point that you about how he does make the player next to him better. Right now I would want to keep him because he is a perfect pairmate for Ekky. Maybe trade him on the TDL if its a good deal for us.

ucanthanzalthetruth

#CatsAreCooked
Jul 13, 2013

He only agreed to come here with the promise that they'd become a winner.

Mogo

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 26, 2002
I think the only problem most of us have had with him is his mailing it in end of last season.

Little Bobby Boo

Jul 30, 2014
I have no problem with BC other than him looking lazy at times, but who doesnt really..? I just know we're not getting a cup while he's here so why not trade him while he's at a high value..

ucanthanzalthetruth

#CatsAreCooked
Jul 13, 2013
I have no problem with BC other than him looking lazy at times, but who doesnt really..? I just know we're not getting a cup while he's here so why not trade him while he's at a high value..

It's only October, why say the season's over now? Campbell won't be a Panther next year unless this team makes the playoffs.

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011

Well said.

I'd add to those that think he's lazy, looks uninterested in his own zone or lacks physicality, Campbell is a small PMD. He's never been a physical 2-way beast, I don't understand where people draw that image from and bash him for it. What he loses in size and physicality, Campbell makes up with speed, agility and good stick work.

Crossbar

Apr 29, 2003
48" above the ice

He doesn't sacrifice his body to make a play, he's soft, doesn't take penalties because he's too slow to keep up or he just leaves it up to the goaltender/defense partner to bail him out. He refuses to shoot the puck (because his shot is soft as butter anyways), so other teams know to watch his defense partner more as the triggerman, which in turn, makes that guy's job more difficult. It's not a fluke we are so offensively challenged, it starts at the backend. Above all else, 7 million per season.

I'll give him credit for playing a ton of minutes, but we've finished in the basement the last 2 seasons, so that doesn't mean very much....padding the stats up and going through the motions. By no means am I blaming everything on him, just don't think he's worth the salary for what he provides.

spacemanatee

May 18, 2014
Well said.

I'd add to those that think he's lazy, looks uninterested in his own zone or lacks physicality, Campbell is a small PMD. He's never been a physical 2-way beast, I don't understand where people draw that image from and bash him for it. What he loses in size and physicality, Campbell makes up with speed, agility and good stick work.

you can still look interested and be a small pmd man.. no one is saying he's a roman polak.

Big Bjugs

Amat Victoria Curam
Jan 9, 2013
Canada Eh
Every team has a whipping boy. Mine are Kulikov and Campbell. When we lose, trade them. When we win, trade them. Oh wait...

FlaPnthrsPunk

Apr 17, 2006
Coral Springs, FL
Mine is Upshall. The guy plays does play with his heart on his sleeve, but I wonder where his head is half of the time with the unnecessary penalties. Still, I dislike him nowhere as much as some guys in years past.

Big Bjugs

Amat Victoria Curam
Jan 9, 2013
Canada Eh
hehe mine is flash. gawd i want him gone.

Ya Flash has officially left the building. I would pick Flash but he's not worth it imo. Campbell and Kuli have the ability to be game changers. Which is why it's so easy for me to put them under the microscope, unfairly as it seems, and blame them for every missed play.

Upshall and Flash just aren't any good. Kopecky is playing well on the 4th line, overpaid as he is, and Bolland is always going to be hurt so no point in blaming him.

I'd also say Campbell's hefty price tag makes it easy. I will say that Campbell and Kulikov do get a lot of negative feed back, myself being one, but they really aren't as bad as I or others have made them sound.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad