Kings Article: In-Depth Look at LA Kings Defenseman Prospect Mikey Anderson – Part 1

FrozenRoyalty

Feb 5, 2008
frozenroyalty.net
Los Angeles Kings defenseman prospect Mikey Anderson got a lot more attention from the Kings front office during the Kings 2019 training camp and pre-season games than was expected. He turned a few heads back then, and although he's not the flashy type, he has continued to do so in the AHL with the Ontario Reign.

Frozen Royalty recently sat down with Anderson and Reign head coach Mike Stothers for an in-depth look at this first-year pro and perhaps to get a glimpse of what he might bring to the Kings sometime down the road

Part 1 of two-part story...

In-Depth Look at LA Kings Defenseman Prospect Mikey Anderson – Part 1

Eagle Fang

Less Defending, More Offending
Oct 12, 2005
i hope he brings something good, cause in the game vs the Gulls he looked bad. I know, just 1 game.

regulate

Aug 19, 2007
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
A lot of praise here, but I would urge caution. Mikey is going through a lot of growing pains as a D man with the grind of the pro schedule. I like his hockey IQ and overall game, but he's been victimized more than I would like as the season has worn on, not usual for a rookie pro. He's gonna need some time, and I don't think he's s shoe-in at all for the NHL roster next season. He's only 20, and unless you're an elite talent, that's young for an effective NHL D man. He needs to get stronger, and his coverage, especially in front of his own net, needs to improve. Anderson has an excellent foundational skill set (hockey smarts), but other areas are a work in progress at this level. He's earned quite a few of those minus marks on the ice (-14). It would not hurt him in the least to continue to grow and spend another full season in the AHL at 21 years old. Most NHL D men break in around 23 if they have an NHL skill set. I would urge patience. I do think he will make the show in due time.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Reminder that Willie Mitchell wasn't a full time NHLer until age 24, and frankly that's who Anderson reminds me of most around here.

Reactions: Schmooley

FrozenRoyalty

Feb 5, 2008
frozenroyalty.net
A lot of praise here, but I would urge caution. Mikey is going through a lot of growing pains as a D man with the grind of the pro schedule. I like his hockey IQ and overall game, but he's been victimized more than I would like as the season has worn on, not usual for a rookie pro. He's gonna need some time, and I don't think he's s shoe-in at all for the NHL roster next season. He's only 20, and unless you're an elite talent, that's young for an effective NHL D man. He needs to get stronger, and his coverage, especially in front of his own net, needs to improve. Anderson has an excellent foundational skill set (hockey smarts), but other areas are a work in progress at this level. He's earned quite a few of those minus marks on the ice (-14). It would not hurt him in the least to continue to grow and spend another full season in the AHL at 21 years old. Most NHL D men break in around 23 if they have an NHL skill set. I would urge patience. I do think he will make the show in due time.

You might want to wait until Part 2 of this story is published...

Last edited:

TruKingFan

Two-Time Cup Winner
Aug 16, 2004
Beachfront
Reminder that Willie Mitchell wasn't a full time NHLer until age 24, and frankly that's who Anderson reminds me of most around here.

I think in terms of “style” there’s a case to be made for this. But WD was taller and lankier - Anderson will have to get much stronger to come close to the way WD defended.

but man, seems like we got a bunch of smallish dmen around. A few would have to be trade bait perhaps?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad