OT: In arena military salute

predfan98

Aug 5, 2007
I think the military salutes are good because it lets our servicemen and women know we appreciate their sacrifices.

What does bother me more is the anthem singers taking way too many liberties with our national anthem. To me that's a major injustice. It's a quick tempo march, sing it as such.

I agree!! It's not an american idol edition "put your own spin on it."
I am ranting inside almost every game, it's rarely sung that way it was written.
A

I do like that they have asked the crowd to sing along, but it's hard if the tune is constantly changing

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
some of the artist are still trying to get a break, with all the music executives in the crowd at any given game, I can understand them trying to impress some. I'm not going to get upset anyone for chasing a dream or just trying to better their life.

Adz

Eudora Wannabe
Sponsor
Jun 18, 2005
Hermitage TN
Drives me crazy to listen to singing try outs, but I have to say I was pleasantly amused when I heard an anthem singer in New York do a Broadway tryout. You take your shot, I suppose. But one of my favorite lines from Amadeus was from a critic that his (Amadeus') compositions had "too many notes". I apply that to anthem renditions, too.

As for the military salute, it appears to be very meaningful to the honorees, so that makes it worthwhile. I wish people would begin to clap a little later on in the segment so I could hear the person's accomplishments, but such is life.

CMDEADLY

Jun 6, 2014
Call me lazy but I don't like having to stand every game I go to for this, I am all for appreciating our veterans but every time I hear that song play in the Arena I roll my eyes. It's lost it's meaning to me after it happening every game I've been to which is about 13 at this point of the season.

glenngineer

Jan 27, 2010
Franklin, TN
some of the artist are still trying to get a break, with all the music executives in the crowd at any given game, I can understand them trying to impress some. I'm not going to get upset anyone for chasing a dream or just trying to better their life.

I was in the business for twenty years. Doesn't impress me at all. Listen to Vince sing it. That's the way it should be done.

bdub24

iNsErT bAnNeR jOkE hErE
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2013
La la land
I am just grateful it isnt that Morgan fellow anymore.

And honestly, on the military salute, if there are servicemen and servicewomen who are signing up for it - you can bet your butt I am standing up for them to show my respect.

I do remember maybe two years ago? They did have all of the servicemembers past and present stand up to be honored as well.

That said - I never really liked the Lee Greenwood song. I have to say that it has always just seemed a pandering bankable recording (you buy this record or you arent a patriot). It doesnt inspire me, and it doesnt make me proud.

Dave is a killer

Dave's a Mess
Oct 17, 2002
Cumming GA
Call me lazy but I don't like having to stand every game I go to for this, I am all for appreciating our veterans but every time I hear that song play in the Arena I roll my eyes. It's lost it's meaning to me after it happening every game I've been to which is about 13 at this point of the season.

to me the days they should do it is Veterans Day (11/11) & May 8th ... but that's just me.

sparkle twin

Jul 31, 2002
Smashville, TN
They actually did do the "all service men/women in the arena please stand" during the SJ game (that was the ice game). It didn't last long because before paul mccann finished talking people were jumping up to cheer them. I also like hearing the background of the person they are honoring before I start to applaud that person.

My problem with the military salute is that I feel like there are a lot of people that are politically patriotic and they really want people to see they are saluting America and anyone that doesn't stand or wear a flag pin or some such thing is somehow disrespecting the flag or country.

Also, I heard on one hockey game somewhere, maybe an nbc game, that every arena does this so it's not really something unique to our arena.

LCPreds

Dec 8, 2013
TN

I don't mind the standing part but do agree with the latter part of your post. The first time it happened I thought it was ok. The next time or two as well. But after however long this has been going on all I can think of is how much I really do not like that song.

wadesworld

Jan 24, 2011
Nashville, TN
I'm a veteran as well and while I'll stand and cheer with complete sincerity for anyone for whom they do it, I do agree it's probably time to back it off a little bit. Perhaps move it to one each week rather than one each game.

RoyalAir

Looks Better In Gold
Jan 12, 2006
SE Tennessee
i was a soldier in the 70's when there were no welcome homes and you ran the risk of being called a baby killer for fighting for your country. this is much nicer. more the way things should be.

This is my old man's attitude. He was flying combat missions in SE Asia, and when he came back he dealt with a lot of this crap. My brother is military now, and came back from Iraq kinda perplexed by the military salute-style stuff. My brother found it rather unnecessary, to which my dad retorted, "It was far better than what we got when we came home. Be grateful."

I see both sides of this. I think it's becoming trite and somewhat forced, but I also think that is a direct result of war fatigue on the part of the populace at large. I still think it's a respectful gesture, and better than what has happened in the past, but perhaps it's time to start slowing it down.

Drake744

#manrocket
Feb 12, 2010
Nashville
This is probably an afterthought to the vast majority of people at a game every night. People who aren't huge fans or rarely come to games will see the team doing this and think it's cool that they're saluting the men and women, which it is. However I think to the fans who see it every game, or at least quite often, it might run a little stale.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $25.00