OT: In arena military salute

braindead

Jul 14, 2005
The cookie spoke
An interesting and thought provoking article (and comments section) in the ny times has articulated some of my ongoing mixed feelings about the lee greenwood themed salute each night. It's worth a read here:

http://mobile.nytimes.com/2015/02/22/sunday-review/please-dont-thank-me-for-my-service.html?referrer=&_r=0

I don't view this as a left- right debate and I'm not trying to stir the political pot; rather, it's good to think and consider regardless of where you land on it and some of the themes resonate in our in arena salutes. Also curious as to various views including military and vets among our group here.

Pred303

Oct 8, 2004
Murfreesboro, Tn.
saw this article the other day, and it bothered me some... as an old retired airborne ranger i think i speak for the vast majority of vets in saying 95% of vets take "thank you for your service" as an appreciative gesture. like everything, there are always some that won't, but to me it takes a tramatized individual to make something of that that's not positive as long as it's said sincerely.

Pred303

Oct 8, 2004
Murfreesboro, Tn.
now i will say this. i think the military salute is a great thing while we are sending troops into harms way. after awhile it runs the risk of being superficial and artificial when that is not the case. don't want it to lose it's edge, it's intent.

Drake744

#manrocket
Feb 12, 2010
Nashville
This is honestly one of those things that I can't pretend to know what's right and what's wrong with how veterans feel. I'll always salute them during the game but I can see how it might run the risk of becoming "the norm" rather than "special" when it happens every game. One of my best friends is currently active in the Air Force, and when he was in town visiting during the recent homestand he applauded with everyone else but didn't really make any mention or say anything about it. I don't know if he was being humble or if he didn't feel the attention was needed.

Last edited:

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
My brother-in-law is somewhere now, in Army Special Forces. He never stands up for the stuff when he's here. He doesn't want the recognition himself but he appreciates it for those that want it.

My other brother-in-law is also in the Army, I'm going to ask his take.

Byrddog

Lifer
Nov 23, 2007
now i will say this. i think the military salute is a great thing while we are sending troops into harms way. after awhile it runs the risk of being superficial and artificial when that is not the case. don't want it to lose it's edge, it's intent.

I think this is where it has come to as well. I was asked a while back to be the service member of the day for the Preds salute.I turned that offer down. I personally appreciate it more when we recognize WWII guys. I do not mean to trivialize anyones service but that generation is special. We can not do enough to thank them for what they did.

I recognize all who have done there part and consider myself one of the few, but nothing more really. What is more irritating to me is the stolen valor group. Just today the SECVA has been exposed for exaggerating his service to include a stint with Special Forces. Or how about Brian Williams fiasco. It has been my experience that most all who has ever done anything significant in the military does not really talk about it a lot unless it is with other veterans. Most are just humble people who live there lives and are unnoticeable in a crowd.

Pred303

Oct 8, 2004
Murfreesboro, Tn.
i was a soldier in the 70's when there were no welcome homes and you ran the risk of being called a baby killer for fighting for your country. this is much nicer. more the way things should be.

Nothing Is New

Sep 26, 2011
Those dudes are thinking about this way too much. Take it as face value. Somebody appreciates what you did or are doing -something that needs to be done- and they express that appreciation to you. Stop. That's good. I like hearing it. Good on Preds. Applies to cops, too.

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."

Softball99

Dec 16, 2014
This is always an uncomfortable conversation for Vets... Most of us have/had personal reasons for our service... Me... locked up in an orange jumpsuit or haircut and camouflage... but I had a Top in boot camp (1st Sgt) that saw me nearly die in the field from Dbl pneumonia on bivouac, recover and go right back at it. He sent me out to Darby as an RTO and I met some of the most insane and patriotic cats in the services...Rangers. WOW. I became a service member from that day forward not someone using the Army to my benefit. I am a disabled Vet today (100%) Half of it Physical, knees, back, wrist, etc. The other half from the VA putting me on the wrong meds and messing up something that wasn't broken. I also will not be honored in house but suggest ones I think are deserving. I am trying to get the Preds organization to recognize and come up with special deals for the disabled Vets. Lids packs, discounts on full season tix, etc. This is how we continue our "salutes", Vets and first responders that have lost "parts" from their service. on a slightly different note...Ribs...Seems to be looking at the rafter flags and saying something when he skates off during the anthem, maybe a special remembrance and not being disrespectful

RaiderDoug

Feb 5, 2007
Knoxville

I think we're rapidly approaching this territory. Not to get too political and I'm sure this will be very unpopular, but i've always been a little unnerved by the "military-mania" that seems to be sweeping the country for the last decade and a half.

FWIW, I'm an ex-soldier, 11B from 2000-2004 and reserve until 2010.

predfan98

Aug 5, 2007
Not a vet, so have a different perspective. A little rambling....:laugh:

60ish, history buff and female. When I was in college men were still being drafted by lottery to serve in Vietnam.

I remember going to Pearl Harbor in my 20's and being emotionally drained. It is good to remember the past.

I think the military salute is more for ordinary people than for vets, in a weird way. I don't understand the service or the life because I haven't been there.
But if we are to have continuity as a country and as a community, we have to have some common ground. Community is disappearing, english is disappearing in some parts of our town, etc, etc. The internet is a wonderful thing,but people are the things that matter.
It annoys me to no end to see people not take their hat off or talk on the phone during the national anthem.

For me, it is unifying and respectful. It is a small gesture of who we are as a country. It is a small way for me to say thanks to those in that life..

I hope they never do away with it. It is a tradition that I cherish.

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
I think we're rapidly approaching this territory. Not to get too political and I'm sure this will be very unpopular, but i've always been a little unnerved by the "military-mania" that seems to be sweeping the country for the last decade and a half.

FWIW, I'm an ex-soldier, 11B from 2000-2004 and reserve until 2010.
We all just want you guys to know we do appreciate you.

Softball99

Dec 16, 2014
Hooahh 303... I read the article after I posted and I am in agreement with the author on this point. You want to thank us...Be a better UNITED STATES of AMERICA(N) citizen. I lost my right to vote as a dumbass kid and the Army could not get that back for me. Vote , hold politicians accountable, make them (the GVT) keep their promises to veterans and in general. If you see how screwed up **** is, run for office, and do it correctly. Bottom line WE did this in the hope that what we were risking everything for the TRUE American dream. FREEDOM to say and do what you want, when you want, where you want as long as you aren't violating someone else's Freedom. As screwed up as this nation is we are still the best thing out there, please don't forget that. Oh 1 more thing don't ***** when we get free food on Veterans Day (November 11th). Steve they need to give us back OUR beret.. F that tan ****:yo:

Drake744

#manrocket
Feb 12, 2010
Nashville
An interesting and thought provoking article (and comments section) in the ny times has articulated some of my ongoing mixed feelings about the lee greenwood themed salute each night. It's worth a read here:

http://mobile.nytimes.com/2015/02/22/sunday-review/please-dont-thank-me-for-my-service.html?referrer=&_r=0

I don't view this as a left- right debate and I'm not trying to stir the political pot; rather, it's good to think and consider regardless of where you land on it and some of the themes resonate in our in arena salutes. Also curious as to various views including military and vets among our group here.

Hooahh 303... I read the article after I posted and I am in agreement with the author on this point. You want to thank us...Be a better UNITED STATES of AMERICA(N) citizen. I lost my right to vote as a dumbass kid and the Army could not get that back for me. Vote , hold politicians accountable, make them (the GVT) keep their promises to veterans and in general. If you see how screwed up **** is, run for office, and do it correctly. Bottom line WE did this in the hope that what we were risking everything for the TRUE American dream. FREEDOM to say and do what you want, when you want, where you want as long as you aren't violating someone else's Freedom. As screwed up as this nation is we are still the best thing out there, please don't forget that. Oh 1 more thing don't ***** when we get free food on Veterans Day (November 11th). Steve they need to give us back OUR beret.. F that tan ****:yo:
Oh well, you tried.

predfan98

Aug 5, 2007

:handclap:

I hope they encourage everyone to sing along with the national anthem again tonight.

predfan24

Jul 12, 2006
I, being a member of the Air Guard, for only a couple years and in the Intelligence field find it very in uncomfortable when someone thanks me for my service. The worst was when I finished basic training and had to arrive at the airport in uniform on Veterans Day. Holy moly, I couldn't even walk 5 feet without someone thanking me for my service. I was embarrassed to be honest. I had only achieved basic training haha.

I always have had the attitude people should be thanking the people who have boots on the ground. The people who really risk their lives. Now don't get me wrong I'm a firm believer all occupations are important and everyone has their role to play to keep the machine running smoothly.
Personally, I understand Intelligence is a very important aspect of today's military but I'm not out there in harm's way. I make more sacrifices as far as time and commitment and being away from home as some civilians yes but I volunteered for it. I get some great benefits from it too. I'm in school right now using the GI Bill. I wouldn't be in school otherwise. It's not like I'm some slave. That's why it makes me feel weird when people say that phrase to me. I understand the average public doesn't delve that deep into thought on this subject so I just nod my head.

Now of course there are the glory ******. The ones who want all the recognition no matter what they do in the military. Most you will find are not like that. Most people I know take their uniform off before they go home. IMO it's almost like an unspoken rule it's okay to stop by the store to pick up a few things in uniform real quick but that's about it. I have a night class at MTSU two nights a week and I have made it somewhat of a tradition to go to a nearby bar and watch Preds games when I get out. I saw what I assumed was an Army guard guy come there in full uniform the other day. I can't stand stuff like that. Anyways I'm getting off subject. In general I agree with regards to the military salute it is a great thing. However I don't want to see it oversaturated.

Last edited:

101st_fan

I taught Yoda
Oct 22, 2005
Near where sand and waves meet.
"Thank you for your service" can lead to some awkward responses. It is an appreciative gesture that just doesn't flow smoothly. "You're welcome" doesn't usually sound good in response ... it can come across as arrogant especially from type A personalities. Silence isn't a good way to handle it.

glenngineer

Jan 27, 2010
Franklin, TN
I think the military salutes are good because it lets our servicemen and women know we appreciate their sacrifices.

What does bother me more is the anthem singers taking way too many liberties with our national anthem. To me that's a major injustice. It's a quick tempo march, sing it as such.

skydog71

Jan 17, 2012
Nashville is 1 hour away from Fort Campbell, the 2nd largest military base in the world. Carolina is near Fort Bragg (the largest) and they also have military salutes at every game. That probably has a lot to do with it.

I think the military salutes are very fitting for Nashville, especially considering God Bless the USA was recorded in Nashville.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad