WC: in 2 countries

Status
Not open for further replies.

zorz

Mar 8, 2010
Makes no sense. There are teams that will have to play round robin in both years in the country that doesn't have the medal round, so they have to travel twice if they advance. Some other teams would have to move only once or not at all.

The second thing is that it can happen (and will happen) that some team will play round robin games in the same country in both years, which means the people in the other country won't have chance to see that team live at all despite of the fact they are holding WC.

And the third thing is interest - I've heard from several sides that for example Swedes don't care so much, because they say the next year is their home WC, this is in Finland's. What's the point then? Somebody told me it's because of money that national hockey federation can save if it shares the tournament with other federation. That is hard for me to understand, because they maybe save some money, but they also have less profit, because half of the games are played somewhere else, so what's the point? I don't see any real benefits.

To sum it up it's totally pointless to have WC in 2 countries and it shouldn't be repeated after 2013. Some thoughts?

ForumNamePending

Mar 31, 2012
I can see two countries co-hosting if they are smaller hockey countries that may not have the facilities or may not want to take on the financial risk of hosting the tournament on their own but Sweden & Finland in back to back years... Huh?

Xokkeu

Apr 5, 2012
Frozen
The worst part of the entire set up, if you ask me, was having teams play the quarterfinals matchups within their groups.

They should have done cross group matchups, but they couldn't simply because of the travel issue.

Shame

zorz

Mar 8, 2010
Well, they are not gonna change 2013
I know.

The worst part of the entire set up, if you ask me, was having teams play the quarterfinals matchups within their groups.

They should have done cross group matchups, but they couldn't simply because of the travel issue.

Shame

True, that's another bad thing about this.

chokei

Dec 31, 2011
Zürich
I somewhere heard that Germany and France intend to hold the Hockey World Cup together. Absolute rubbish.

Here's a link in german from the german ice hockey federation. They are applying for 2017.

zorz

Mar 8, 2010
I somewhere heard that Germany and France intend to hold the Hockey World Cup together. Absolute rubbish.

Here's a link in german from the german ice hockey federation. They are applying for 2017.

They should put the WC to NA at least once in 10 years instead of these experiments.

tikkanen5rings*

I'm actually glad that Finland ****ed it all up.
This way we can FINALLY get new guys in to FIHA.
The President of Finland has critisized the games. That has to mean something.

Eidyia

Jan 5, 2011
Oulu
The President of Finland has critisized the games. That has to mean something.

No it doesn't since Kummola and our lovely president are both members of Kokoomus-party. Kummola is out when he decides to leave for IIHF position. Sad but true.

Cruor

May 12, 2012
WC has felt luke warm since it was held in Germany some 10 years ago :clittle: Riga was fine aswell, generally the more neutral venue the better. Atleast the fans seem to appreciate it more.

And yes, co-hosted WC has to be the silliest idea ever.

Cruor

May 12, 2012
We'll bring you even more red seats and empty beer tents, don't you worry.

Eidyia

Jan 5, 2011
Oulu
And yes, co-hosted WC has to be the silliest idea ever.

This. Fans, players, organizers, sponsors, etc are not happy with this. I wonder what was the big idea behind this shared tournament? Why not just play 2012 in Finland and 2013 in Sweden? Both countries are perfectly capable of holding the WC's alone.

weetabix

Sep 6, 2004
Why not co-host it like between Denmark, Norway and Island. Of course hosting nations should get their places automatically!

Splitting the hosting is rubbish. This year it kind of worked in Finland (if you don't take ticket prices into account and that there was minimal atmosphere generally in Helsinki outside the arena), but that's because we won last year.

It's interesting to see how it will effect next year, ticket prices and interest in general.

I want to see cheap tickets so I could go and watch some Austria - France game or similar!

tikkanen5rings*

No it doesn't since Kummola and our lovely president are both members of Kokoomus-party. Kummola is out when he decides to leave for IIHF position. Sad but true.

I don't think Kummola is active with his political party.
Everyone saw how they ****ed these games and embarassed the whole nation.
There is no way in hell Kummola could possibly continue.
This tournament is the biggest humiliation Finland has ever suffered.

Cruor

May 12, 2012
This. Fans, players, organizers, sponsors, etc are not happy with this. I wonder what was the big idea behind this shared tournament? Why not just play 2012 in Finland and 2013 in Sweden? Both countries are perfectly capable of holding the WC's alone.

I suspect it was some hockey fanatic economist that came up with it :handclap: Truth be told the trip Helsinki-Stockholm is neglible but it's still essentially stupid and drains any interest that might've been geneterated at the one and same place.

P.S.

We produce the better blondes, booyah. ;)

tikkanen5rings*

Yes he is. If he wasn't he wouldnt be in such a substantial position.

[/GV]

:laugh: Come on, get real. Only a few small nations care about these games and it's all forgotten as the Euro Champs in footy kicks off.

Finland doesn't care about footy.
This is our sport. When they screw things like they did, I expect to see heads going down.
These games were a discrase.

Eidyia

Jan 5, 2011
Oulu
Finland doesn't care about footy.
Speak for yourself! I'd choose a place in Euros/World Cup everyday rather than a gold in IIHF tournament. Olympic Gold in Hockey and qualificiation in footy would be pretty much equal.

This is our sport. When they screw things like they did, I expect to see heads going down.
These games were a discrase.
Of course the organizers screwed up but do you honestly see any heads rolling after this tournament? Mr.Arhinmäki (minister of sports and culture) tried to say something to Mr.Kummola but his agenda was too leftish so Kummola ignored him. And as we see Kummola's party is in power for at least 3 years from now so I don't see him stepping down voluntarily.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad