Improving the Stars 101

Mr Misty

The Irons Are Back!
Feb 20, 2012
Not exactly a secret that coaches prefer "gritty veteran-ness" way more than "youth and effectiveness." He's been a great servant to this club, but he is done.

Benneguin

Original Recipe
May 26, 2015
The coaching staff rode Fiddler hard these last couple of seasons and he was mostly effective up until this season . It's like they can't get it through their heads that Vernon got older and lost most of his effectiveness. Especially on draws , he was super reliable in the past but now he barely wins any . Part of it may be rule changes but still you can't give important defensive draws to someone who loses them constantly.

Ruff does this with veterans. He'd ice the crypt keeper if he could.

Hockey Dad

Jan 27, 2016
Texas
I know the deadline has passed, but who do y'all feel is a legitimate target for Nill to go after in offseason for defence. I would assume he is looking for left shot, but not sure who is available for trade as the UFA market does not look enticing.

Mr Misty

The Irons Are Back!
Feb 20, 2012
I know the deadline has passed, but who do y'all feel is a legitimate target for Nill to go after in offseason for defence. I would assume he is looking for left shot, but not sure who is available for trade as the UFA market does not look enticing.

I'd have said Edler last week, but I doubt we are going to be trading with Vancouver any time soon.

WhoahNow

WhatsApp lead the way
Sep 7, 2011

Also heavily depends on who we re-sign out of Goligoski, Demers, Russell.

Benneguin

Original Recipe
May 26, 2015
Also heavily depends on who we re-sign out of Goligoski, Demers, Russell.

Unless Russell wets the bed or refuses to sign here he's going to get signed, if only so Nill can save face. As for the other two, at least one will get signed, whoever is the cheapest. We can't just keep rotating middling D men with more middling D men. Not only does that not address the core issue but it prevents this team from building chemistry. We already have Ruff who screws that up, we can't have Nill doing it too.

Mr Misty

The Irons Are Back!
Feb 20, 2012
Unless Russell wets the bed or refuses to sign here he's going to get signed, if only so Nill can save face. As for the other two, at least one will get signed, whoever is the cheapest. We can't just keep rotating middling D men with more middling D men. Not only does that not address the core issue but it prevents this team from building chemistry. We already have Ruff who screws that up, we can't have Nill doing it too.

Can't afford to sign 2 without a major cap increase or moving something big out.

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
He's on a bullet train out of town since February.

Yep. If his play doesn't change in the next couple of months, I want no part of him going forward. Dunno what changed with him, but it hasn't been good in almost every facet of his game.

Ghost of Kyiv

Wanted Dead and Alive
Feb 1, 2015
Schrödinger's Box
We need Demers so badly, only blueliner on the team who has shown any ability whatsoever to prevent goals against, if we lose him due to a month worth of bad penalties, I'll cry.

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
Every player slumps, and every fan (including sometimes even me) has the usually short term myopic reaction - throw the bum out. Over the years, we wanted to dump everyone up to and including Modano over a few bad games.

Unspecified

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Apr 29, 2015
Would you trade Seguin? As crazy as it sounds i would probably at least consider it only for a top pairing established D man like Josi.

Mr Misty

The Irons Are Back!
Feb 20, 2012
Demers is maybe the only right shot free agent worth anything. Trend line is down, asking price is up, so we're getting well beyond the established Nill value area here. Buying a Demers sweater today carries a ton of risk IMO.

Mr Misty

The Irons Are Back!
Feb 20, 2012
Would you trade Seguin? As crazy as it sounds i would probably at least consider it only for a top pairing established D man like Josi.

The New Jersey fight on the main board months back got me thinking about whether we could add a bit to Seguin and Kari and get back Larsson and Schneider. Josi isn't the answer though.

Unspecified

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Apr 29, 2015
What ... lol.

I love Seguin but it is obvious that we need major help on the Blue line and in net. No amount of offense is going to fix that. Not say we "should" move him but just image the holes we could fix. Granted we would be creating one also.

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
We'd have a giant hole at #1 center then that I don't think Spezza can reasonably fill.

Plus, the assets we'd want back simply aren't available. Teams just don't move players of that quality unless they have to, and Seguin is no exception.

MBTendy

May 6, 2009
I love Seguin but it is obvious that we need major help on the Blue line and in net. No amount of offense is going to fix that. Not say we "should" move him but just image the holes we could fix. Granted we would be creating one also.

You're speaking crazy talk.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Just the idea of trading Seguin is stupid. You're not getting back equal value , period. This isn't fantasy / a video game . We got really lucky we got a #1 Center in a trade not going to just give that away again .

Last edited:

Benneguin

Original Recipe
May 26, 2015
Can't afford to sign 2 without a major cap increase or moving something big out.

Perhaps you're right. I was trying to be optimistic that Nill would not, at the very least, prevent the D from getting worse, but it probably will.

Benneguin

Original Recipe
May 26, 2015
Just the idea of trading Seguin is stupid. You're not getting back equal value , period. This isn't fantasy / a video game . We got really lucky we got a #1 Center in a trade not going to just give that away again .

It might be stupid but how would you compare the two value-wise to a team if a trade such as that was seriously considered? Is a number #1 D man simply not worth a number # 1 center, regardless of who those players are?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad