Improving the Stars 101

serp

Jan 17, 2016
It might be stupid but how would you compare the two value-wise to a team if a trade such as that was seriously considered? Is a number #1 D man simply not worth a number # 1 center, regardless of who those players are?

Nobody trades an established #1 D man . At best you're gonna get someone like Seth Jones who could become a #1 but isn't a sure thing and i'm not trading Seguin for that. Period.

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
If we were able to move out some salary, I'd really like to look into Mike Hoffman. He's got some great talent and is a natural goal-scorer, and his skating is unreal.

Not sure what kind of contract he'd be looking at, but I don't think it'd be too rich for our tastes. Defense is obviously a priority, but I still think it'd be nice.

Hockey Dad

Jan 27, 2016
Texas
On one of the other pages a Calgary guy brought up possibility of trading for Niemi/Lehtonen. I think Wideman has one year left on his deal. Would anybody be interested in trading one of the goalies for him. It would mean Demers is gone. Stars would have a right side of klingberg, wideman, johns. Then either johns slides up or honka slots at second pairing the next year.

Ghost of Kyiv

Wanted Dead and Alive
Feb 1, 2015
Schrödinger's Box
I'd want to immediately flip Wideman. Market value for a 4/5 defenseman is about $3 million on a multi-year deal. He only has one year left at a $5.25 million caphit ($6 million in actual salary); I think he would be tradeable with 2 million retained to a team looking for a one year stop gap with PP ability.

If we could trade Niemi for Wideman straight up and then deal Wideman with $2 million in retention, the net result would be $2.5 million saved this year and a full $4.5 million saved next year. I'd like that a lot.

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
So we've got 7.5ishM to use, along with the cap increase (which looks to be at most 2.6M, and as little as nothing).

If we get 10M to play with, I think Demers has to be the first priority. Right-handed defenders are just too few and far between to let him walk without at least trying. 5M per for 5 years seems fair for both sides, and I'd be alright with that.

So that leaves 5M to re-sign Goligoski or Russell. I think we can definitely bring back Russell for that price, not sure about Goligoski. The other options are Yandle and Hamhuis. Yandle will be too expensive, and Hamhuis seems unlikely to sign anywhere but Vancouver. So I think we're best off trying to re-sign Goose, if he's too rich, just move on and keep Russell. End up with...

Russell - Klingberg
Oduya - Demers
Lindell - Johns
Nemeth

To start. By the end of the season, it wouldn't surprise me if Honka and/or Backman force some moves, or if Lindell pushes his way up the lineup.

We've got a lot of options and I trust Nill to make the correct moves.

OttMorrow

Sep 18, 2003
So I think we're best off trying to re-sign Goose, if he's too rich, just move on and keep Russell. End up with...

Russell - Klingberg
Oduya - Demers
Lindell - Johns
Nemeth

To start. By the end of the season, it wouldn't surprise me if Honka and/or Backman force some moves, or if Lindell pushes his way up the lineup.

We've got a lot of options and I trust Nill to make the correct moves.

Russell-Klingberg would be EVEN WORSE than Goligoski-Klingberg...

No way we go this route.

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
Russell-Klingberg would be EVEN WORSE than Goligoski-Klingberg...

No way we go this route.

We haven't seen it, so how could we know?

Goligoski - Klingberg has been fine.

It seems like some of us want a perfect team - that's simply not going to happen. We currently have the #1 offense in the league, and its definitely a top 3 offense on paper as well. Its how we're built, what we got lucky with and were given to work with.

We can't have an elite defense too. Right now, its average to slightly above-average. Klingberg is an average #1 at the point, Goligoski an average #2, Demers an average #3, and so on. Russell is the first player who really stands out amongst his peers as a #5 defender, and I think that's then entire reason he was acquired - to boost us from average to above-average, and to fill in for injuries (which obviously has been huge as of late). Defensemen are also the most valuable players in the league, and good ones are few and far between - there's a reason so few get traded, and why even borderline #3/#4 defenders get such massive returns. Look at Coburn, Daley, Jones, Hamilton, etc. and see what kind of value they got. And none of these are bonafide top-pairing defenders, either. Close or potentially could be, sure, but they aren't right now. Yandle was probably the last to be traded and his price was pretty ridiculous for 1.25 years worth of him. Knowing Nill, he's not going to give up the assets needed to overpay for a current fix on defense, and the cap is going to prevent us from going all in on a guy like Yandle, who is the best FA defender available. There really aren't many, if any options outside of what we've already got.

The goaltending has been pretty terrible overall for the last two seasons, and for as many goaltenders as we've gone through and as much as we're paying the current duo, we definitely can and should expect a better performance from them, and for there to already be a solution. I still think this is the most likely place we'll see a big move (again, unfortunately) and the place where we can improve the most as well.

Benneguin

Original Recipe
May 26, 2015
We haven't seen it, so how could we know?

Goligoski - Klingberg has been fine.

It seems like some of us want a perfect team - that's simply not going to happen. We currently have the #1 offense in the league, and its definitely a top 3 offense on paper as well. Its how we're built, what we got lucky with and were given to work with.

We can't have an elite defense too. Right now, its average to slightly above-average. Klingberg is an average #1 at the point, Goligoski an average #2, Demers an average #3, and so on. Russell is the first player who really stands out amongst his peers as a #5 defender, and I think that's then entire reason he was acquired - to boost us from average to above-average, and to fill in for injuries (which obviously has been huge as of late). Defensemen are also the most valuable players in the league, and good ones are few and far between - there's a reason so few get traded, and why even borderline #3/#4 defenders get such massive returns. Look at Coburn, Daley, Jones, Hamilton, etc. and see what kind of value they got. And none of these are bonafide top-pairing defenders, either. Close or potentially could be, sure, but they aren't right now. Yandle was probably the last to be traded and his price was pretty ridiculous for 1.25 years worth of him. Knowing Nill, he's not going to give up the assets needed to overpay for a current fix on defense, and the cap is going to prevent us from going all in on a guy like Yandle, who is the best FA defender available. There really aren't many, if any options outside of what we've already got.

The goaltending has been pretty terrible overall for the last two seasons, and for as many goaltenders as we've gone through and as much as we're paying the current duo, we definitely can and should expect a better performance from them, and for there to already be a solution. I still think this is the most likely place we'll see a big move (again, unfortunately) and the place where we can improve the most as well.

I think you are overrating our defense. They are a big part as to why our goalies are so terrible. I would say as a group they are below average with Russell who isn't even guaranteed to sign, much less the Goligoski or Demers. If we end up replacing 2-3 of those with guys we already have in the organization our D will likely rate well below average. If we don't develop or go all in on the next Stralman, Jones, Hamilton, Suter, etc, etc we'll never win the cup, period.

MBTendy

May 6, 2009
I feel like bringing in a Russian for Val is going to be a priority for Nill come June/July. Whether it's going to be a guy like Nail, Radulov, Markov, Tyutin, etc, I think Nill will be looking. Obviously it's gotta make sense moving forward, and because there aren't many options out there, it may not happen, but I do believe it is a priority for Nill if he believes in Val.

Radulov sounds nice, but you gotta think he will be a bit too pricey for Nill's taste, especially considering the Stars aren't in need of help when it comes to scoring. That money could be spent to fix our defensive issues instead.

Depending on Nail's asking price, the risk may be worth it. He has put up with a ton of **** in EDM, and is only asking for a trade 4 yrs later. He's a good kid from what I read, I would be okay with adding him to our team.

Orlov is a RFA. Could be a good depth guy if he is made available.

I know there are some who don't see why we should try to add a Russian for Val, but I think you're underestimating how it would be to be in his shoes. Hell, if I were playing in a foreign country, not able to speak their language that well, with no family/friends, I'd feel pretty ****** and alone as well. I moved away from home for a couple of years, and the first 2-3 months we're depressing, and that was with me speaking the cities language. I can just imagine how much more depressing it would have been if I was from a foreign country, and did not speak English well.

Adding a Russian can go a long way for Val, he's still 21 and could probably use a year under the wings of a vet Russian.

P.S. I bolded that sentence because I don't want any of you to think I am supporting this type of move JUST to benefit Val. It's gotta benefit the team in order for it to happen.

Mr Misty

The Irons Are Back!
Feb 20, 2012
I feel like bringing in a Russian for Val is going to be a priority for Nill come June/July. Whether it's going to be a guy like Nail, Radulov, Markov, Tyutin, etc, I think Nill will be looking. Obviously it's gotta make sense moving forward, and because there aren't many options out there, it may not happen, but I do believe it is a priority for Nill if he believes in Val.

Radulov sounds nice, but you gotta think he will be a bit too pricey for Nill's taste, especially considering the Stars aren't in need of help when it comes to scoring. That money could be spent to fix our defensive issues instead.

Depending on Nail's asking price, the risk may be worth it. He has put up with a ton of **** in EDM, and is only asking for a trade 4 yrs later. He's a good kid from what I read, I would be okay with adding him to our team.

I know there are some who don't see why we should try to add a Russian for Val, but I think you're underestimating how it would be to be in his shoes. Hell, if I were playing in a foreign country, not able to speak their language that well, with no family/friends, I'd feel pretty ****** and alone as well. I moved away from home for a couple of years, and the first 2-3 months we're depressing, and that was with me speaking the cities language. I can just imagine how much more depressing it would have been if I was from a foreign country, and did not speak English well.

Adding a Russian can go a long way for Val, he's still 21 and could probably use a year under the wings of a vet Russian.

P.S. I bolded that sentence because I don't want any of you to think I am supporting this type of move JUST to benefit Val. It's gotta benefit the team in order for it to happen.

I don't think it matters that much. If we didn't have Jordie as a veteran d option, Medvedev might have been the guy you are thinking of, somebody decent who is cheaper than Russell/Demers/Goligoski but I doubt we are letting go of Jordie.

MBTendy

May 6, 2009
I don't think it matters that much. If we didn't have Jordie as a veteran d option, Medvedev might have been the guy you are thinking of, somebody decent who is cheaper than Russell/Demers/Goligoski but I doubt we are letting go of Jordie.

Just imagine this scenario. Your boss sends you to Russia to work for his company down there. You got no significant other and you go alone, and you're still in your early 20's. Imagine how that would feel. Wouldn't you feel a lot more comfortable if you knew one of your co-workers there was from USA/CANADA and spoke English. Wouldn't that make it much easier for you? That's why I believe in the idea of having a vet from the kid's country to take him under his wings (given the kid is not comfortable with his english). AKA, Nichushkin's situation.

I moved away from home for 2 years alone and the first couple of months we're depressing. If I didn't speak English or French, it would have made it x1000 worse. There would have been no way to communicate with others and feel like I belonged in my school and I would have been depressed for much longer than a couple of months.

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
He cited Gonchar as being a huge asset for himself, as well.

I think it'd be pretty awesome if we could bring in Zubov on the coaching staff in some form or fashion, but that's probably not ever going to happen.

MBTendy

May 6, 2009
He cited Gonchar as being a huge asset for himself, as well.

I think it'd be pretty awesome if we could bring in Zubov on the coaching staff in some form or fashion, but that's probably not ever going to happen.

Oh man that's the dream right there. Having Zubov as a mentor for Val and Gury would be amazing.

Troy McClure

Suter will never be scratched
Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
Just imagine this scenario. Your boss sends you to Russia to work for his company down there. You got no significant other and you go alone, and you're still in your early 20's. Imagine how that would feel. Wouldn't you feel a lot more comfortable if you knew one of your co-workers there was from USA/CANADA and spoke English. Wouldn't that make it much easier for you? That's why I believe in the idea of having a vet from the kid's country to take him under his wings (given the kid is not comfortable with his english). AKA, Nichushkin's situation.

I moved away from home for 2 years alone and the first couple of months we're depressing. If I didn't speak English or French, it would have made it x1000 worse. There would have been no way to communicate with others and feel like I belonged in my school and I would have been depressed for much longer than a couple of months.

Yeah, for a few months, it would suck, but he's wrapping up year three. At some point, these excuses have to stop.

OttMorrow

Sep 18, 2003

I don't feel that bad for Nuke. He's making 7-figures to play a sport and can probably find some female companionship every night if he is lonley. Learning a language takes work and time...he's had plenty of time to learn the English language well enough to not alienate himself...so that's on him for either being lazy or just not having the social skills/personality to fit in on the team regardless of language.
He's been here for 3 years...learn the language dude.

Besides that, there are how many millions of people in Dallas to befriend...for sure one or two Russians live here if you are that discriminatory of your social circle ;)

Our decision on who to add to to the team should have nothing to do with Val at this point. If the best option to add is Russian, then do it. Otherwise BPA.

Last edited:

Mr Misty

The Irons Are Back!
Feb 20, 2012

I understand what you are saying, but he had Gonchar as a teammate for over a year, plus a billet family of sorts IIRC. Dallas is a big enough place to have other Russian speakers to meet and hang out with, and as a legal adult with money, he can spend his spare time doing whatever he wants.

People do what Val did all the time. Do you think Faksa spent a lot of time going to school & learning English before he was drafted by Kitchner? Did Troy Vance spend his spare time learning Finnish? Probably not, but he's able to play professionally for Assat. Professional soccer is full of similar cases of French/Spanish/Portuguese speakers making their livings far from home.

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
I think they set a pretty dangerous precedent in agreeing to Val's NHL or bust demand. While I understand they do many things to make foreign players as comfy as possible, I think over doing it sets even worse precedence. IMHO, if Val becomes too much more in need of babysitting, for his production, they trade him while value is still high. Maybe that will be to a team with more Russians, etc. Don't know.

Frankly, with the surprise emergence of Janmark and Faksa, along with the physical presence of Ritchie and the potential of Dickenson, Shore, etc., (and maybe Gurionav) I think Val is becoming more expendable by the minute.

Hockey Dad

Jan 27, 2016
Texas
Val did not demand the NHL. He said if he was not gonna be on Dallas he would do the same thing Denis is doing and stay in KHL for his contract. I do think Val is week minded and needs another Russian player. He had Gonchar and had a wonderful season. I think the only reason they traded for Gonchar was with the hope of getting Val. I am all for getting another Russian if it will bring out the best in Val and they help the team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad