Kings Article: Improved Stats (Better in a big way-across the boards)

deeshamrock

Jul 25, 2011
Philadelphia, PA
This is from an article on the LA Kings Insider about the turnaround in just about every catagory:

Prior to Games on February 11 (Kings record: 3-5-2)
Goals / Game: t-25th / 2.10
Goals Against / Game: t-21st / 3.00
Power Play: 27th / 10.9
Penalty Kill: 17th / 79.6
Shots / Game: 5th / 30.8
Shots Against / Game: 2nd / 25.2
Faceoffs: t-19th / 49.0

Prior to Games on March 1 (Kings record: 10-6-2)
Goals / Game: 19th / 2.56
Goals Against / Game: 6th / 2.28
Power Play: 21st / 15.5
Penalty Kill: 16th / 81.6
Shots / Game: t-13th / 29.5
Shots Against / Game: 2nd / 25.4
Faceoffs: 8th / 51.3

Change
Goals / Game: +.46
Goals Against / Game: -.72
Power Play: +4.6%
Penalty Kill: +2.0%
Shots / Game: -1.3
Shots Against / Game: +0.2
Faceoffs: +2.3%

CNS

A World Alone
May 24, 2008
This feels relevant.

Robert JftC ‏@RobertJFTC

#LAKings are getting shots blocked at a rate of 33 per 60 minutes of PP time. NHL avg over the last 5 years is 23 per 60.

Vic Vinegar

Oct 27, 2009
This feels relevant.

Robert JftC ‏@RobertJFTC

#LAKings are getting shots blocked at a rate of 33 per 60 minutes of PP time. NHL avg over the last 5 years is 23 per 60.
Well, a lot of that is because the Kings' shots tend to be easy to block.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
This feels relevant.

Robert JftC ‏@RobertJFTC

What's funny is that for the longest time many of us were stating that the Kings probably led the league in this category without looking at stats. Just observing them makes us aware of that fact as I don't think I've seen a team have their shots blocked more often than the Kings.

Fishhead

Jul 15, 2003
PNW
It doesn't surprise me that things are turning around. The Kings' have been taking it to the opponents when it matters this year.

http://behindthenet.ca/fenwick_2012.php?sort=6&section=close

This has been the single biggest change since the coaching change, IMO, and is key to the teams success. They are tops in getting more chances than other teams when it is tied, and are one of the best when down by 1 or 2. What stands out most to me is that the Kings are #1 in the league when leading by a goal. They don't take the foot off the gas anymore. Two years ago, this number was much, much lower. They've developed a killer instinct.

CNS

A World Alone
May 24, 2008
The funny thing is it's probably Doughty with 32 of those blocked shots. :sarcasm:

Puck U

2012 SC CHAMPIONS !
Aug 2, 2005
Apple Valley, CA.
The funny thing is it's probably Doughty with 32 of those blocked shots. :sarcasm:

I'd REALLY like to see Doughty taken OFF the PowerPlay completely for a little bit ( NO :sarcasm: ) ... just to see if there's any noticable difference and let him WATCH from the bench, maybe seeing it off the ice will give him a different perspective about the shooting lanes and his timing which honestly seem to bee WAY OFF for the last 2 years now. :dunno:

Honestly I don't see that our PP could get WORSE by taking Doughty OFF of it ? :shakehead use Voynov / Richards and Muzzin / Stoll on the back end ... at least they SHOOT without that lame hesitation / fake shot Doughty ALWAYS tries, plus their shots tend to get through to the net, where as Doughty's just DON'T anymore.

PP #1
Brown - Kopitar - Williams
Voynov - Muzzin

PP #2
Penner - Carter - Richards
Stoll - Martinez (when Healthy)/Drewiske

... or something, I dunno ... I understand getting your BEST players out on the PP, but IMO it's foolish to break up Brown - Kopitar - Williams and Carter - Richards ... it also makes such a mess of the line combos coming off a PP or PK when Sutter does this ?

Last edited:

CNS

A World Alone
May 24, 2008
Yeah Doughty really seems to be having trouble. It's probably a combo of two things:

1. Teams taking away his space. They know he's got a great shot so they're not giving him time and space to get one on net.
2. He seems to be really, REALLY looking for the perfect shot and I think he thinks that a perfect shot is one between the legs of a defender so the goalie can't see it. Problem is they block it 9/10 times.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
Yeah I think Doughty is just over thinking his shot and not just relying on instincts to put the shot through. It seems that he is waiting for traffic to develop as he hesitates to shoot. At times, he hesitates to the point where he puts himself in a vulnerable position and even at a worse angle to shoot the puck from.

I think that a problem is that he's waiting for that perfect pass to come through when he is positioned on his off-wing on the point and that he would be in a better position to shoot if he's on his strong hand side. The shot may not be as dangerous coming from the right side, but his probability of getting the shot through increases when he's shooting from the right as opposed to the left.

Fishhead

Jul 15, 2003
PNW
When Doughty is at his best he's moving laterally along the blue line. I haven't seen much of that, he's been mostly static like everyone else.

When they get their feet moving it's a completely different situation and shots get through.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad