Improbable Comebacks: Forcing Game 7 After Being Down 0-3

vikash1987

Mar 7, 2004
New York
The Flyers are apparently the sixth team in playoff history to accomplish this rare feat. (Although the Sharks came awfully close back in 2008.)

The last two times this occurred were in 1975----both series involving the Islanders. I also know that the Maple Leafs did this in the 1942 Stanley Cup Finals.

My question is: when were the other two comebacks?

Last edited:

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
The first were the 1939 Bruins. Up 3-0 on the Rangers, and hung on to win it in the 7th game in triple OT. This was in fact the first best-of-seven series in NHL history.

The Red Wings almost returned the favour to the Leafs in 1945, forcing a 7th game after being down 3-0. They couldn't quite complete the comeback though and Toronto held on for the Cup.

The Bruins now hold the distinction of being the only team in league history to allow a Game 7 twice after building a 3-0 lead.

The last time this happened, it was the Flyers blowing the 3-0 lead (to the Islanders). They hung on for the win in the end, and eventually won the Cup.

Last edited:

Blades of Glory

Troll Captain
Feb 12, 2006
California
That 75 Flyers team only recovered to win Game 7 because they were the defending Cup champions and the Islanders were a young, inexperienced bunch that had never dealt with that type of pressure, playing a Game 7, before. No such luck for Boston this year. I still am shocked that a team actually did this again. However, I had a strange feeling about Philadelphia after they won Game 4, partly due to the fact that Boston was already an offensively-stricken team under Claude "no offense" Julien even before Sturm and Krejci got hurt. They can't score.

Master_Of_Districts

Apr 9, 2007
Black Ruthenia
That 75 Flyers team only recovered to win Game 7 because they were the defending Cup champions and the Islanders were a young, inexperienced bunch that had never dealt with that type of pressure, playing a Game 7, before.

The 75' Islanders played in a game seven in the previous round, when they came back to defeat Pittsburgh after being down 3-0.

jkrx

Feb 4, 2010
Boston has almost completed one of the bigger choke jobs in history... Pens already choked ;)

lextune

I'm too old for this.
Jun 9, 2008
New Hampshire
The Bruins now hold the distinction of being the only team in league history to allow a Game 7 after building a 3-0 lead.

Huh?

Pittsburgh built a 3-0 lead against the Islanders in '75 and not only allowed a game 7, but lost it.

The Red Wings built a 3-0 lead against the Leafs and not only allowed a game 7, but lost it.

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
Huh?

Pittsburgh built a 3-0 lead against the Islanders in '75 and not only allowed a game 7, but lost it.

The Red Wings built a 3-0 lead against the Leafs and not only allowed a game 7, but lost it.

I bet he meant they are the only team to do it twice.

John Flyers Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
If that 75 Flyers-Isles series was played today, it may very well have ended in a sweep.

Game four was tied and as regulation ended Reggie Leach beat Chico Resch. It was ruled late by the ref, and obviously no replay at that time. With instant replay I think it gets overturned, and the series ends right there.

Isles went on to win the game in OT, then followed it up with wins in game five and six, before the Flyers won game seven quite handily.

vikash1987

Mar 7, 2004
New York
Speaking of the '75 Islanders, I cannot believe that NHL.com has video footage from their historic Game 7 against Pittsburgh. I have never seen any video footage from this game before----they must have dug deep in their video archives to get this gem!

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
The Flyers were up 3-0 against the Islanders in 1975 and in Game 4 Reggie Leach scored but time expired. Dave Newell whistled a no-goal. It was "this close" to a series sweep.

Scott1980

Apr 27, 2010
Toronto
In a bitter irony...three years later, in 1945, the Leafs met the Wings again in the Cup finals.

# of goals by the Wings after three games: 0

So what happens? The Wings win the next three games (they scored some goals :amazed::amazed::amazed:)

...only to lose game 7, 2-1

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
Well, tonight's game probably makes this series we just watched the biggest collapse of all time. A 3-0 lead blown in a Game 7 by one of the best defensive teams in the game is just mindboggling. And a too many men call to put the nail in the coffin of all things. Somebody with Bruin connections must have really ticked off the hockey gods for things to unfold like they did.

reckoning

Jan 4, 2005
During the game Gord Miller mentioned that there was twice before when a team blew a 3 goal lead in Game 7 and ended up losing. One of them was Calgary against Edmonton in '91. Did anyone catch when the other one was? It was just quickly mentioned during play and I missed part of it.

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
During the game Gord Miller mentioned that there was twice before when a team blew a 3 goal lead in Game 7 and ended up losing. One of them was Calgary against Edmonton in '91. Did anyone catch when the other one was? It was just quickly mentioned during play and I missed part of it.

I believe he said it was the Flyers blowing one to the Capitals in 1988. The Flyers also blew a 3-1 lead in games in that series I think. Guess Philly got their payback for it tonight.

mco543

Aug 14, 2006
Boston sports fans sold their souls for the Celtics to beat Lebron James and in turn they lose is the most soul crushing way possible.

Ahhh the magic of sports.

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
Given the track record of heartbreak and snatching defeat from the jaws of victory exhibited by both the Bruins and the Red Sox, it's safe to say they sold their souls for something at some point. The Red Sox had the 3-0 comeback against the Yankees though, so perhaps this series was the sports gods coming to collect their payment from the city of Boston for that one.

John Flyers Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
I believe he said it was the Flyers blowing one to the Capitals in 1988. The Flyers also blew a 3-1 lead in games in that series I think. Guess Philly got their payback for it tonight.

Yep, Flyers led 3-0. Caps came back and took a 4-3 lead, Flyers tied it at 4, before Dale hunter won in in OT.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad