Important Goaltenders

Doctor No

Oct 26, 2005
hockeygoalies.org
Recalling Ken Dryden's quote about Jacques Plante - “there are a lot of very good goalies, there are even a fair number of great goalies. But there aren’t many important goalies. And Jacques Plante was an important goalie.â€

Who are the other important goaltenders (and more importantly - why)? Remember that - as Dryden says - there aren't very many of them.

Canadiens1958

Nov 30, 2007
Lake Memphremagog, QC.
Important Goalies

Vladislav Tretiak = first international goalie of any consequence, innovative off ice training and techniques.

Martin Brodeur = brought durability back to the position when the trend was to #1 goalies playing slightly more than half the games. His streak of playing more than 70 games per season during the last generation is equally impressive as Glenn Hall streak.

Ogopogo*

Glenn Hall is the only goaltender to be voted the NHL's best 7 times and I consider him the greatest goaltender of all time. That makes him pretty important in my book.

overpass

Jun 7, 2007
Martin Brodeur = brought durability back to the position when the trend was to #1 goalies playing slightly more than half the games. His streak of playing more than 70 games per season during the last generation is equally impressive as Glenn Hall streak.

Brodeur's durability is impressive, but starting goaltenders were regularly starting 65+ games a season by 1993-94. Brodeur is probably surprisingly "unimportant" for a goalie with such an impressive career, as few goaltenders have imitated his playing style. His main impact was the trapezoid rule.

Whether Patrick Roy personally invented the butterfly style or not, his success with it certainly helped to popularize it.

Clint Benedict caused the NHL to allow goalies to drop to their knees to make a save.

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
Roy comes to mind. The reason why is that he won with a great offensive team in front of him twice and he won with a mediocre offensive team in front of him twice. Not to mention the three Conn Smythes. While I agree Sakic was deserving of it in 1996 I believe Roy would have been the 2nd most important player on that Avs team. An extremely important part of his teams.

Bernie Parent as well?

Not a big fan of Hall as far as being important goalies rather than great ones. Ditto for Brodeur (not saying he wasn't great just not as central to his team's success).

I would think Turk Broda would fit the bill quite nicely as well

jkrx

Feb 4, 2010
Tretiak, Pelle Lindbergh, Hasek, Plante, Hall. Roy didnt actually use the original butterfly but the Allaire developed profly technique. Hall was the first goalie to use the butterfly.

reckoning

Jan 4, 2005
Percy Lesueur - Designed the first pair of goalie gloves as well as the Lesueur hockey net. Wrote a manual on how to play hockey which helped to popularize the game in its early days

Clint Benedict - The first goalie to wear a mask, his playing style is also credited as the reason the NHL changed the rule and allowed goalies to leave their feet to make a save.

Ron Hextall - While many before him played the puck outside the crease, nobody did it as much as he did. After Hextall, puckhandling became more common among goalies.

Last edited:

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
Lesueur, plante, and benedict came to mind immediately. Based on nothing but importance and innovation, they are definitely the 3 most important ever.

Canadiens1958

Nov 30, 2007
Lake Memphremagog, QC.
Bob Champoux

Was a journeyman,even in junior, who was the Red Wings practice goalie during the 1964 playoffs.

Five minutes into a game against the Black Hawks, Terry Sawchuk was injured and unable to continue. Bob Champoux was the only avaialble goalie. Somehow he managed to win the game.

http://www.hockey-reference.com/players/c/champbo01.html

In the off season the NHL decided such situations were no longer tolerable and the two-goalie system became part of the game.

Bob Champoux eventually made it back to the NHL, for a few games, with the expansion Golden Seals.

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
That's "great", which is not necessarily "important". What makes him important?

Important could be taken many ways. Roy was important to his TEAMS as much as anyone. But he also was an important influence to many, many goalies after him (mostly French Canadian) who copied his style.

So if we're looking at impact that doesn't include what they acheived on the ice but rather new things they were credited with being innovators with then I'd say:

Benedict - first to wear a mask
Plante - first to wander from the net, first to popularize the mask
Tretiak - first grat Soviet goalie comparable to Canadians
Roy - popularized a new style copied by everyone
Hextall - first goalie to be a policeman on his team and popularized the full length shot

justsomeguy

Sep 2, 2004
Think I remember reading somewhere, smoe time ago, that Emile Francis designed the first "trapper" for goaltenders, basing it on a first-baseman's glove. Figure that might qualify him as important.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Ron Hextall - While many before him played the puck outside the crease, nobody did it as much as he did. After Hextall, puckhandling became more common among goalies.

Is it me, or Hextall pretty much brought the most unique features of Billy Smith and Tom Barrasso into one package?

Doctor No

Oct 26, 2005
hockeygoalies.org
Important could be taken many ways. Roy was important to his TEAMS as much as anyone. But he also was an important influence to many, many goalies after him (mostly French Canadian) who copied his style.

So if we're looking at impact that doesn't include what they acheived on the ice but rather new things they were credited with being innovators with then I'd say:

Benedict - first to wear a mask
Plante - first to wander from the net, first to popularize the mask
Tretiak - first grat Soviet goalie comparable to Canadians
Roy - popularized a new style copied by everyone
Hextall - first goalie to be a policeman on his team and popularized the full length shot

I'm taking it in the spirit in which Dryden implied; I agree with your choices, for what it's worth.

xOvechkin*

Bernie Parent - In 1974 and 1975 Bernie Parent put together perhaps the most impressive back to back NHL campaigns in league history..

Franck

eltiT resU motsuC
Jan 5, 2010
Gothenburg
Would whoever could be considered the last proper stand-up style goaltender in the NHL be seen as an important goaltender?

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
Vladislav Tretiak = first international goalie of any consequence, innovative off ice training and techniques.

i'd say that brodeur's great importance, in the sense that the OP means it, is his ability to play the puck. he didn't revolutionize the position the way roy did with the popularization of the butterfly, but after brodeur, a goalie was expected to be at least a decent puckhandler. i think the introduction of the trapezoid speaks to his influence on the position and on the game itself.

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
Brodeur's durability is impressive, but starting goaltenders were regularly starting 65+ games a season by 1993-94. Brodeur is probably surprisingly "unimportant" for a goalie with such an impressive career, as few goaltenders have imitated his playing style. His main impact was the trapezoid rule.

Whether Patrick Roy personally invented the butterfly style or not, his success with it certainly helped to popularize it.

Clint Benedict caused the NHL to allow goalies to drop to their knees to make a save.

In terms of influence, Broduer is the 2nd most important modern goaltender to Roy.

Puckhandling is obviously much less important for a goaltender than stopping the puck. But just like you saw an explosion of butterfly goaltenders after Roy, you saw an explosion of puckhandling goaltenders after Brodeur.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad