OT: Impending Oil drilling in Hermosa Beach where many LA Kings live--Anybody care?

goosh

Nov 25, 2010
Until this car becomes affordable (and it will someday), drilling where there's oil to be had is inevitable. It's up to neighbors and local governments to play the NIMBY card.

teslamodels_zps4841845c.jpg

My a-little-more-realistic dream car. Just everything about it, man.

BigKing

Blake Out of Hell III: Back in to Hell
Mar 11, 2003
Belmont Shore, CA
google.com
I live in a brand new community in Brea that used to be all oil drilling. As a matter of fact, they are STILL drilling oil here...they set aside some lots in between all the houses to drill from time time, setting up temporary rigs.

There is one not 100 yards from me.

I don't give a ****. Not really. I signed all the disclaimers when I bought, noticed all the methane testing ports on my house. What the **** can I do? That's life in southern California.

So, to answer your question: No, I don't really care. As a matter of fact, I don't give two *****.

P.S. "Brea" means "tar" (oil) in Spanish. So there ya go.

I'm not going to throw my hat in the ring here regarding if this is good or not, but I will say that "Hermosa" doesn't mean tar in Spanish. It's one thing to sign up for what you are living in; it's another thing to not have done so and more than likely paid a pretty penny to live in an area that will now be subject to drilling. I'm just a bit confused by your comment...do you not give a **** because you signed up to live in an oil field?

With that being said, I'm from Huntington Beach which was built on oil and it's still pretty nice, although there does seem to be far less visible oil activity now compared to the 80s. Again, I'm not informed enough to speak intelligently on this particular subject, but I can see how those in the community of Hermosa Beach wouldn't be happy. At the end of the day though, I need gas for my car and I don't want to pay $4 a gallon for it.

driller1

Dry Island Reject
Feb 4, 2010
Until this car becomes affordable (and it will someday), drilling where there's oil to be had is inevitable. It's up to neighbors and local governments to play the NIMBY card.

teslamodels_zps4841845c.jpg

Awesome. So instead of being powered by gasoline, you have a car powered by natural gas / coal / nuclear mixed in with about 20% renewables.

KingPurpleDinosaur

Bandwagon Kings Fan
Dec 17, 2002
irvine, ca
www.anteaterhockey.com
E&B Oil wants to drill 30 wells in Hermosa Beach:

http://www.nobpinhb.com/

The drilling may include fracking as well (just don't expect the oil company to admit it).

Many LA Kings players and employees live in HB, or nearby.

This usually happens in poor areas, but Hermosa Beach is the exception. Apparently, the oil money to be made
is worth going after a prosperous neighborhood, and risking activist blowback not experienced
in most low-income zones, where resistance to such ventures is generally low.

As residents of HB, will there be any Kings, or nearby fans out there, who will come out against the drilling?

Sorry for this being non-hockey.

Sometimes real life intrudes where hobbies and recreation reside.
This is an example.
Sigh. :(

like many said, until we slow down our driving and overall consumption, stuff like this is inevitable. If you want to stop stuff like this, start using public transportation. i know i do when I can.

damacles1156

Feb 5, 2010
I agree, the range problem can't be fixed with our current battery technology. The weight and size of the batteries it would take to double the range of the car would probably make the design not viable. I know that Tesla is working on supercharging systems that would cut the amount of time it would take to re-charge the batteries, but they are still a long way from making that happen.

The other issue is with the volatility of the batteries. At some point down the line we will likely see a picture of a Tesla burned to the ground. Re-chargable lithium ion batteries can overheat due to overcharging or some type of internal damage, see the Boeing 787. Once a lithium battery fire gets going it is almost impossible to put out. Halon doesn't work, it takes a lot of water.

Didn't some studies say the batteries were hard to dispose of as well ?

etherialone

dialed in your mom
Mar 6, 2008
The Ether
I hate the fact that the govt caps the amount that U.S. oil companies have to pay out due to spills accidents etc. I also think that all countries should be hard pressing to develop better ways to deal with our addiction to fossil fuels. Many are doing a ton. In India I rented a car that was powered by an Air Compressor. It was fast (up to its max speed of 95mph anyways) and good for approx 150 miles. A hybrid based around that tech and an internal combustion engine was being developed but that was 5 years ago, it could already have happened or not by now. The point is that it is possible and that people are developing or trying to develop better means of transportation than those that rely solely on Oil products for power.

That said, who drove to work today? Just saying (I know it isn't a perfect point but it is true that almost everyone can do a better job in one way or another at helping manage our reliance on Oil).

As hockey fans we support an industry (sport) that relies heavily on big oil for our entertainment. From players getting to and from the rink to the plains and trains that are used to move teams around to the zambonis to the chemicals used to create what we call ice for our playing surfaces (to name a few) we need Oil.

I live in a very remote part of the world (when I am home) and am off the grid for my power and I am grateful that there is Oil (petroleum products) that I can rely on when needed. To me it is about finding a balance. Oil can be a great thing for us all if we can find a way to rely on it allot less and start relying more on our other natural resources.

Drill more off of HB, when I was a kid I went to HB several times and all I remember are the oil pumps across the street from the beach. Taking to drilling offshore so long as it is done safely and correctly seems like a necessary evil and also a sort of natural progression in some ways.

Even where I live there are Oil companies so it seems to me that as long as we all rely on oil we all should be willing to carry the responsibility for how it is produced in one way or another. NIMBY is a B.S. attitude if you drive a car or live in a place that relies on big oil for power.

Meh, done.

Jul 31, 2005
CA
E&B Oil wants to drill 30 wells in Hermosa Beach:

http://www.nobpinhb.com/

The drilling may include fracking as well (just don't expect the oil company to admit it).

Many LA Kings players and employees live in HB, or nearby.

This usually happens in poor areas, but Hermosa Beach is the exception. Apparently, the oil money to be made
is worth going after a prosperous neighborhood, and risking activist blowback not experienced
in most low-income zones, where resistance to such ventures is generally low.

As residents of HB, will there be any Kings, or nearby fans out there, who will come out against the drilling?

Sorry for this being non-hockey.

Sometimes real life intrudes where hobbies and recreation reside.
This is an example.
Sigh. :(

What kind of car do you drive and what's the MPG?

SLang

Nov 29, 2005
Huntington Beach, CA
They've been drilling for decades where I live (Huntington Beach). What makes Hermosa Beach so special?

As long as the wellheads are on land. Ocean drilling I can do without - for obvious reasons.

Asher

Jun 23, 2007
Nope, I don't care if the oil company meets the regulations that are required and the regulators are doing their job it shouldn't be a problem.

What evidence does the OP have that fracking that isn't sanctioned by the appropriate authorities will be occurring? California really needs to lose the anti-business attitude before their tax base has completely disappeared.

Considering how often government regulations are heavily influenced, if not written entirely, by the very companies that stand to profit more by less regulation, I can't say I'd be too thrilled with these people drilling in my neighborhood. In fact, I'm quite sure I'd want to stop it and, if that failed, get the hell out. (I'm responding more to the possibility of fracking.)

Last edited:

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
Considering how often government regulations are heavily influenced, if not written entirely, by the very companies that stand to profit more by less regulation, I can't say I'd be too thrilled with these people drilling in my neighborhood. In fact, I'm quite sure I'd want to stop it and, if that failed, get the hell out. (I'm responding more to the possibility of fracking.)

It's a free country!!

Sacha Baron Corbin

Jan 19, 2011
I have this bizzare thought of the Kings doing an oil drilling video to that Loverboy song like the coal mine scene in Zoolander :laugh:

I was asking the OP. If you don't like drilling then you have to be driving an electric car or your opinion really means squat.

Or consuming products manufactured with machines that consume oil, products transported by machines that consume oil... everyone consumes oil directly or indirectly unless you live in the bush and hunt your own food, weave your own clothes and used an ax to chop down the wood to build that rustic cabin you live in.

What I always find funny is the a-holes that still drive these big SUV's and trucks for no purpose other than to have a big car and yet still complain about the price of gas. And not only that, gas in America is cheap compared to most European countries and Canada.

I can't believe that in my years of driving that I once paid $0.91 a gallon (although gas hovered around $1.30-$1.50 a gallon at the time if I remember correctly). I'm 32 years old and started driving 16 years ago. What happened between 1996 and 2013 that the price of gas has increased that much?

DoktorJeep

Expediency x Sentimentality = Mediocrity
Aug 2, 2005
OC
What happened between 1996 and 2013 that the price of gas has increased that much?

Brazil, Russia, India & China became major producers & consumers of crude. Plus I think the commodity markets for oil / gas / energy sectors became more enthralled with speculation. So basically, it had nothing much to do with the US.

Wildturkey12

Do It!
Oct 20, 2010
L.A.
Brazil, Russia, India & China became major producers & consumers of crude. Plus I think the commodity markets for oil / gas / energy sectors became more enthralled with speculation. So basically, it had nothing much to do with the US.

I think speculation played the biggest role in the price of oil the last decade and a half. It still does.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad