Speculation: Impact of potential expansion draft

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
I moved down to Atlanta the year the Thrashers relocated (November of the Jets first season). So disappointed, I was looking forward to cheap tickets when the Rangers came to town. :cry:

However, from what I know of the situation, the failure was in ownership, not that hockey can't work down here. Nobody is going to get invested in a team that makes the playoffs once in 15 years, and gets swept when they do. Build a winner, and people in this city would support them. The NHL is never coming back, though, and that's a shame.

The group that bought the Thrashers only bought them because they had to as part of buying Philips Arena and the Hawks. They never wanted to own them and they never wanted hockey in their building. Basically, they decided to put the team up for sale and evict them simultaneously, leaving them without a place to play even if they could find local ownership.

Riche16

McCready guitar god
Aug 13, 2008
The Dreaded Middle
Other than Nash is still a great player albeit slightly overpaid, why are we giving him up for nothing?

It was a joke.

But I'll play devil's advocate and say:

Because you can't get anything for him at that price and he has a NMC. Leaving him unprotected (and having an expansion team claim him) would allow us to keep others, rid ourselves of an overpaid player, with a NMC, and open up much needed cap space while maintaining a good portion of our offense and MAYBE using some of that $ to sign a guy who shows up in the play-offs.

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
It was a joke.

But I'll play devil's advocate and say:

Because you can't get anything for him at that price and he has a NMC. Leaving him unprotected (and having an expansion team claim him) would allow us to keep others, rid ourselves of an overpaid player, with a NMC, and open up much needed cap space while maintaining a good portion of our offense and MAYBE using some of that $ to sign a guy who shows up in the play-offs.

It definitely didn't seem like a joke....

Uh yeah you can. A NMC didn't stop him from coming to NY. It won't stop him for going elsewhere.

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
That's the whole silly thing with a No Movement Clause (NMC). It impedes movement.

More like it gives the player control over where he goes.

If it got SO bad here that Nash needed to be traded, I'm pretty sure he'd welcome it too.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad