OT: Impact of Meditation on Habs - other teams

needmorefunds007

Sep 18, 2007
Hi all,

Not sure if this was ever discussed, but I've noticed over the recent years that some of the greatest teams and players turn to such practices to increase their energy, focus, and health. Anyone been reading up on this?

I know Max Patches is into yoga/meditation, and I'm sure many other are also. Many teams have been implementing programs that have led to championships even...

EDIT** - Another article from today - Phil Jackson taking the Knicks next level! http://espn.go.com/new-york/nba/sto...n-new-york-knicks-taking-mindfulness-training

Seattle Seahawks superbowl champions: http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/meditation-modern-life/201402/how-meditation-won-the-super-bowl

Germany winning the worldcup: http://gulfnews.com/sport/football/german-footballers-turn-to-yoga-1.3659#.U75ZoTuOT7U.facebook

I'm starting the discussion on this because I saw a poster in the city of Montreal for a meditation master coming to the city. I thought it could be a good idea to share this with anyone that might know people on the habs... Could someone share this with a contact within the team management? The details lead to www.montreal.trulyhappy.org

:handclap::):handclap:

Any others here that are into this?

Last edited:

needmorefunds007

Sep 18, 2007
Good one :)

I may be wrong here but there is a difference between yoga and meditation where yoga will include stretching as well as relaxation elements.

From my understanding, everything stems from the study of "yoga". But regardless it's amazing to see how many people are into it.
I've been reading up on it and I've noticed many of the top CEOs have been doing it everyday... Jerry Seinfeld has been doing it for 40 years!

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/07/05/business-meditation-executives-meditate_n_3528731.html

I'll be going to that event on Friday, has my curiosity for sure. :yo:

Has anyone been doing it here to improve their play (if you play hockey...) or doing it for their own benefit?

HabsKraut

Mar 5, 2004
Berlin, Germany
Stating that Germany winning the World Cup has anything to do with yoga is very, very far fetched. The article is 5 years old and neither of the 4 mentionned players has been on the cup-winning team... or has any relevance at all anymore. Nothing against yoga. It's fine. Works well for a lot of people. But the connections made here are very "constructed". But I'm not saying that yoga may not have a positive influence on athletes.

needmorefunds007

Sep 18, 2007
Stating that Germany winning the World Cup has anything to do with yoga is very, very far fetched. The article is 5 years old and neither of the 4 mentionned players has been on the cup-winning team... or has any relevance at all anymore. Nothing against yoga. It's fine. Works well for a lot of people. But the connections made here are very "constructed". But I'm not saying that yoga may not have a positive influence on athletes.

You're right sir. Didn't realize that the article was older... But doing a google search on it and I saw so much info, including athletes like Kobe Bryant practicing it. It makes sense, remove all the chatter in the mind and give every part of us such deep rest that it completely rejuvenates us. I heard that 20 min of meditation is the equivalent of like 4 hours of sleep...

Any updates on someone forwarding this info to the habs mgmt?
Just saw the event hit MTLBLOG. http://www.mtlblog.com/events/?friday

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Max needs to remember to come out of his trance when the puck is dropped!

Not a bad idea for the board though.

needmorefunds007

Sep 18, 2007
I wish meditation could work for me... the only thing it does is to make me nervous, anxious and excited :(

Apparently that's whats suppose to happen at first...that's what happened to me. What it is is all that garbage we hold inside of us coming out. You go through the storm until it leaves our body and mind...after that is pure awesome. Also, the excitement is prob due to the energy boost! :)

Jigger77

Dec 21, 2007
Montreal
Speaking personally I started yoga this summer and noticed a few things. It definitely helped tone and strenghten my core as a complement to my regular workout. The blend of cardio, physio and mental relaxation is quite nice. You do feel great after a yoga workout. (and don't kid yourselves if you're putting in the effort to do the poses right and stay with it it is a workout). The main thing I noticed is being over my mid thirties now, after playing hockey I have more joint and back pain. Yoga has almost completely eliminated it. I still do my weight routine, so for me Yoga is a complement. But it's something I really enjoy and I find for me it really helps with flexibility, joint pain etc. As far as more focus etc I'm not sure, but I know it puts you in a great mood and you sleep like a baby after. I've met people who loved it, other that it wasn't for them. Really depends on your personality I think. I think a long run in the woods would have the same effect as far as meditative and mental qualities, combined with the cardio, but yoga gives you that without the impact on your joints, knees etc.

needmorefunds007

Sep 18, 2007
Speaking personally I started yoga this summer and noticed a few things. It definitely helped tone and strenghten my core as a complement to my regular workout. The blend of cardio, physio and mental relaxation is quite nice. You do feel great after a yoga workout. (and don't kid yourselves if you're putting in the effort to do the poses right and stay with it it is a workout). The main thing I noticed is being over my mid thirties now, after playing hockey I have more joint and back pain. Yoga has almost completely eliminated it. I still do my weight routine, so for me Yoga is a complement. But it's something I really enjoy and I find for me it really helps with flexibility, joint pain etc. As far as more focus etc I'm not sure, but I know it puts you in a great mood and you sleep like a baby after. I've met people who loved it, other that it wasn't for them. Really depends on your personality I think. I think a long run in the woods would have the same effect as far as meditative and mental qualities, combined with the cardio, but yoga gives you that without the impact on your joints, knees etc.

Amazing to hear your experience. I know that most of my friends have tried meditation after I started and they continued as soon as they got their first "real" experience. For some it happens instantly, and for others it takes some trial and error, but once it hits you're set.

I've been doing it for the past year everyday... have noticed my whole life change because i'm more energized, better focus - in turn better decision making!

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I've been doing it for the past year everyday... have noticed my whole life change because i'm more energized, better focus - in turn better decision making!

Yeah but ... you're still posting here. :laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad