Impact of expansion on your team

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
Jets looking at losing either Myers or a Lowry, Dano or Armia.

Good news is that Ehlers, Connor and Laine should all be exempt.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
They'll take one average player from us so I don't see how it will have much of an impact at all.

talkinaway

Mar 19, 2014
On the couch
:bruins

I'd have to look at the other 29 teams, but it wouldn't be surprising if we lost Malcolm Subban to Vegas. Our goalie situation is fluid - we currently have 5 goalies for the NHL and AHL - Rask, Gustavsson, Smith, Subban, and McIntyre. But Gustavsson and Smith are both UFAs this year, and Subban and McIntyre are RFAs in 2017-8.

Assuming we don't resign Gustavsson (a possibility, though not a sure thing - probably 50-50) and Smith (quite possible - we stocked him away in Iowa last year), we need a mystery journeyman goalie this year. Subban might be ripe enough to play in the NHL in 2017-8, so Vegas might bite.

We don't have much defensively that they'd want - protecting Chara (required), Krug, and McQuaid leaves Seidenberg (1 year, old vet) and Kevan Miller (PLEASE take him!), with tweeners Trotman, Morrow, Miller. I don't even know which of them would be poachable. Our eighth best forward might be Vatrano...but I'm assuming we don't get a replacement for Eriksson. And I'm not sure he's up for grabs.

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
Nylander Stamkos JVR Kadri Komarov Rielly Gardiner C.Carrick Andersen and two AHL prospects protected. Leafs will be okay.

Skiffer55

Logan Stanley's Cup
Jun 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
I think Vegas will have better goalies to choose from, Boston should be pretty safe..

Fleury, Elliott, Raanta, Chad Johnson, Bernier, Neuvy, a Tampa goalie, hell I'd rather have Markstrom from the Nucks.

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
On ice, Carolina is really well positioned for a 2017 expansion draft with all of Aho, Hanifin, Slavin, Pesce, Fleury, etc. exempt.

Off ice, if things play out as expected, the Carolina market/fanbase is really going to get dumped on until either a local owner steps forward or QC gets a team. I can already see a pic being taken on a thin attendance night in November. It will get posted on Twitter and HF, and there will be an ample number of comments denigrating the Carolina market/fanbase. It’s not going to be a pleasant experience to read all the vitriol that will be directed our way. We’re going to need thick skin, that’s for sure.

More importantly, I hope the speculation that will run rampant about the franchise doesn’t motivate people to not re-invest in a young team that is getting closer to the light at the end of the tunnel.

WinnipegWinter*

Dec 4, 2011
Winnipeg
On ice, Carolina is really well positioned for a 2017 expansion draft with all of Aho, Hanifin, Slavin, Pesce, Fleury, etc. exempt.

Off ice, if things play out as expected, the Carolina market/fanbase is really going to get dumped on until either a local owner steps forward or QC gets a team. I can already see a pic being taken on a thin attendance night in November. It will get posted on Twitter and HF, and there will be an ample number of comments denigrating the Carolina market/fanbase. It’s not going to be a pleasant experience to read all the vitriol that will be directed our way. We’re going to need thick skin, that’s for sure.

More importantly, I hope the speculation that will run rampant about the franchise doesn’t motivate people to not re-invest in a young team that is getting closer to the light at the end of the tunnel.

I think the Jets are in a similar position, which is why overall I think we'll benefit from the expansion. We have a lot of protected young talent, and while the additional team is theoretically diluting the overall depth of teams, I think the Jets can hopefully take advantage of that by not sacraficing any key depth (assuming they don't pursue a LHD and expose enstrom)

serp

Jan 17, 2016
I think Vegas will have better goalies to choose from, Boston should be pretty safe..

Fleury, Elliott, Raanta, Chad Johnson, Bernier, Neuvy, a Tampa goalie, hell I'd rather have Markstrom from the Nucks.

Las Vegas will have no prospect pool to speak of and since they don't get compensated when an UFA they picked leaves this time around it's very likely they'll pick prospects instead of upcoming UFA's .

I mean sure Ben Bishop is a better player than Malcolm Subban but is Ben Biship gonna sign as an UFA with an expansion team unless overpaid like crazy ?

sharski

Jun 4, 2012
it will mean hopefully less traveling for the Sharks, which can only be a good thing

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Probably forces a decision on Fleury/Murray a bit earlier than we might have gone for it. That aside, our core is well protected. Might lose a prospect we'd rather not, but no biggie.

Derg12

Mar 12, 2014
Please take Moulson - other than that, the Sabres would largely be unaffected.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Stars wouldn't lose anything major. Probably a 3rd line forward or a mid to bottom pairing defenseman . Every good player can be protected or is exempt unless some guys randomly start to break out of nowhere like say Patrick Nemeth or Jamie Oleksiak. Not going to have any issues with NMC's either.

FissionFire

Dec 22, 2006
Las Vegas, NV
www.redwingscentral.com
Detroit can really only be helped by the expansion draft. They won't lose anyone important and there is the chance they can entice Vegas to pick up a big contract like Howard or Ericsson they want to shed. Heck maybe even Kronwall. Detroit doesn't really have any good young prospects or NHL talent a team would want, just some vets who can provide leadership and experience (and $$$ in case Vegas needs some to get to the cap floor early on)

WhatWhat

Aug 7, 2014
Only thing I don't like is if Dallas is set on Lindell(which they should be) it means that we have to stand pat on D this offseason as to not lose him and we could really use a boost on the backend

Ambisextrous

Apr 17, 2012
Halifax
Avs potentially having Zadorov exposed. Or if they go with the 8 players option one of Grig/Soderberg exposed.

And Pickard/Varly needs to be sorted out

McDLT

I'm a style boy for life
Mar 1, 2016
Calgary
As someone already said, the Jets will lose a third liner or Tyler Myers to LV. There is still lots of time for things to change though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad