Speculation: Impact of Christmas Holiday freezing the trade deadline

Status
Not open for further replies.

GhostOfWildWing

Jun 21, 2015
Keep your religion to yourself, OP. The only Gods to be mentioned on here should be The Hockey Gods.

I, too, think the players deserve the family time off...so no issues with it.

Chardo

Apr 27, 2007
Meh I think it's a great message sent by the league on the importance of family. Players sacrifice time with their family all season give them those days for Christmas.

Is it that, or is it the league knows they can't compete with the NBA who owns the day, and the teams don't want to pay overtime to all workers?

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
stop picking on bernmeister

merry christmas

thanks for exercising your right to suggest that what the topic's temporary interval is about includes --- but obviously is not limited to -- the universal celebration of Christmas.

IMPORTANT Note: this is not a proselytization or arm twisting insisting anyone accept any instance of the establishment of religion in general, or any faith in particular.
More bluntly, it is saying Christmas is A CULTURAL PHENOMENON word wide, and is recognized as such.
Sure Christianity is a very small minority in a place like India, but you do see in the demographics where most Christians live, some awareness that much of that community is openly celebrating this feast, which extends into the general population.
Yeah, there is a parallel here with Ramadan, for example, but you don't see businesses holding special sales here for Ramadan like they do for Christmas or Thanksgiving.

So it was an appropriate topic to start as a thread.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
I don't celebrate Christmas....

So, on a personal note, peace and good will to you as well, with no judgmental jibes being taken, which is a perspective co-opted into the commercial aspect of the season, as opposed to those who also observe an actual religious feast.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
The NBA guys are smart enough to realize that Christmas is primetime tv from morning to evening.

Too bad the NHL is run by a bunch of fuddy-duddy morons.

Agree or disagree, an opportunity to parse this further available to all,, THIS is the kind of post and commentary which can be made due to the creation of my thread.

Freedom of speech, competition of ideas.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Guy wrote a song and is promoting it here.

Not exactly.
Yes I wrote a song, and I have applied the lyrics here as poetry, but there is no commercial aspect of that here in this thread or the OP. I specifically said, if anyone is interested in anything further, start a conversation/PM me.

That is within the rules.

The poetry is indicative to the sentiment of the season, which is relevant to the public observance of the season as a cultural phenomenon, which is pertinent to its commercial presence and application, which is a factor for NHL to consider embracing, and how, which brings us to the OP of how this is a conscious decision to moratorium trades for a week or so.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
NHL is not trying to compete with the NBA on christmas day.

Good point.
Pertinent to the opportunity to discuss this relevant note b'c of this thread, is that a good idea?
Is that good or bad for relations with players?
Is that good or bad for trades?

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
"Look at the bells"
"Look at the bells"
"Holy crap here comes Jesus"
"And he doesn't look too happy"

Merry Christmas everyone. Don't drink and drive.

as to your poetry
it is right up there with the classic
Jingle Bells
Batman smells
Robin laid an egg
the batmobile
lost a wheel
and the Joker got away, hey!

lol
we could all use some more NON DENOMINATIONAL holiday mirth to supplement those who choose to make it religious

freedom for all
peace to all of good will

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
It's ok with me. Anyway, it gives GMs a lot of time to talk trade.

Another constructive comment, thank you.
I agree.

Ignoring any other aspect which actually exists, being as secular as possible, I think this is an important observation.

During the regular season, GMs have to deal with others in their organization.
With the holidays, there may be some more time to talk, but I don't think there are too many actual discussions -- GMs have families, too.

However, I think the brain is churning for these guys during the meantime, and as such I see readily how GM 1 says to GM2, I'll give you til the 26th, 11am, to let me know what you think about my offer,

In that way, it is constructive.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Meh I think it's a great message sent by the league on the importance of family. Players sacrifice time with their family all season give them those days for Christmas.

I concur.
And Christmas happens to be the instrument for that policy, but it is a good policy to have.

1 or 2 very short day or 2 intervals = break for players = respite which refreshes players [not addressing spiritually, just even unto physical recharging alone] = likely more energized play upon return.

Big layoff = bad idea
day or 2 = smart

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad