Value of: Impact middle 6 player to Buffalo

Rasmus CacOlainen

The end of the Tank
Sep 24, 2015
Europe
So what good but not great middle 6 players could be available for a trade to Buffalo? We look like we could compete this year with some additions.
Condition 1:
-not breaking the bank in terms of trade chips
Condition 2:
-not pure rental that would not re-sign here
Condition 3:
-if its its an RFA, someone that wont asask for the moon (Nylander) - we will be cap-tied soon with Skinner likely re-signing at atound 8 per

I was thinking of Silfverberg from the Ducks but I can't gauge what the ask would be and also I am sure there are plenty other options I am forgetting.

stokes84

Jun 30, 2008
Charleston, SC
Impact middle six player = top end 2nd liner = borderline 1st liner. Let’s not beat around the bush, it’s Nylander we should be after. We need another player who can back the defense off with the puck on his stick. Moulson will be off the books soon, as will Pominville, Sobotka, Berglund, Bogosian, and Scandella. Finding the cap space will not be hard.

Reactions: wintersej

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
Impact middle six player = top end 2nd liner = borderline 1st liner. Let’s not beat around the bush, it’s Nylander we should be after. We need another player who can back the defense off with the puck on his stick. Moulson will be off the books soon, as will Pominville, Sobotka, Berglund, Bogosian, and Scandella. Finding the cap space will not be hard.
A Nylander to Buffalo trade doesn't work.

AndreRoy

Jan 3, 2018
He won’t be available this year but unless they manage to move Callahan’s contract (and quite possibly even if they do) the Lightning will almost certainly be shopping JT Miller after this season. He fits your requirements. The problem is I’d expect multiple teams to be interested in Miller and aside from picks I’m not sure what the Sabres could offer us that we’d be interested in. We can’t take much if any cap back, we don’t need forwards, and you don’t have a young cheap defenseman or defensive prospect worth talking about (which would be our ideal return) that you can afford to move. Picks could get it done if we aren’t offered a defenseman we like though.

Rasmus CacOlainen

The end of the Tank
Sep 24, 2015
Europe
He won’t be available this year but unless they manage to move Callahan’s contract (and quite possibly even if they do) the Lightning will almost certainly be shopping JT Miller after this season. He fits your requirements. The problem is I’d expect multiple teams to be interested in Miller and aside from picks I’m not sure what the Sabres could offer us that we’d be interested in. We can’t take much if any cap back, we don’t need forwards, and you don’t have a young cheap defenseman or defensive prospect worth talking about (which would be our ideal return) that you can afford to move. Picks could get it done if we aren’t offered a defenseman we like though.
Doubt Tampa trades him in the division anyway.
Any interest in Hayes or Zucc?
I think both are pure rentals and I doubt anyone in Buffalo is giving up assets for pure rentals. If we could entice Hayes to re-sign then there could be something to be done but not sure what his ask would be. If its 6 mil per, I doubt we ever consider it.

Rasmus CacOlainen

The end of the Tank
Sep 24, 2015
Europe
No, I meant middle 6 player. Nylander is top line talent and we cant afford to pay another one of these onluess he comes on a bargain contract...byt no one is trading those.

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
So what good but not great middle 6 players could be available for a trade to Buffalo? We look like we could compete this year with some additions.
Condition 1:
Condition 2:
Condition 3:
-if its its an RFA, someone that wont asask for the moon (Nylander) - we will be cap-tied soon with Skinner likely re-signing at atound 8 per

I was thinking of Silfverberg from the Ducks but I can't gauge what the ask would be and also I am sure there are plenty other options I am forgetting.

I think there will be a ton of teams calling on Silfverberg if made available, can picture him going to a contending team for a 1st and maybe a lesser addition. Do you see the Sabres making that type of move for a rental this year?

DoobieDubas

Legalize Hitting Again
Jul 15, 2018
Toronto
ya we wouldnt trade to you guys 100%

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
Condition 1:
Condition 2:
Condition 3:

Off-topic but damn, that seems insane. Do you really think Skinner gets 8 ?

Stickpucker

Playmaka
Jan 18, 2014
How about Jordan Staal. Buffalo could use someone to do the heavy lifting.

We want more than Pu though. You also still owe us for Skinner.

MackAttack26

Jan 10, 2015
Ontario

If he scores 40+ which seems likely the floor would be 7.5m I think. 8m seems about right and would be so worth it for a team like Buffalo who has lacked a finisher for Eichel for years.

AndreRoy

Jan 3, 2018
Doubt Tampa trades him in the division anyway.

I don’t think that would be much of a consideration beyond being a tie-breaking factor between two comparable offers. Miller is good but he’s not the sort of player we’d be worried about facing on a divisional rival. If Buffalo made us the clear best offer I don’t see us hesitating to send him there.

Rosko Thorn

Jul 4, 2009
Sudbury, ON
Would Brandon Sutter be of any interest? Good Middle 6 center who can eat up a lot of minutes and be defensively sound, signed for a couple years.

Moulson + Guhle?

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Condition 1:
Condition 2:
Condition 3:

OP, before I directly answer your ?, let me first say the deal I see happening, which would impact your return on a subsequent F deal.

Skjei, 5.25 x6 + Pionk .925 x 1 elc + DeAngelo .863,333m elc expiring, + Staal, 5.7 x 3 at half = 2.85+ TB 2019 2nd which can morph into 1st
total cap 9.888,333m
for
Sabres 2019 1st, unprotected, + two conditional 2019 1sts from SJS and SLB as is which conditions may roll the picks into years later than 2019 + Bogosian 5.3ish reduced to 4.0; + cap dumps Moulson, 5.0 expiring + Beaulieu 2.4 expiring . Total cap 11.4
Cap dif, roughly 1.6m is negligible Sabes save, Rangers eat.
Analysis
Sabres were worst overall but added generational Bobby Orr lite in Dahlin, so that alone should move them up 7 or 8 slots. They also appear to finally have a stud netminder who beat back 40+ shots vs Rangers in the initial matchup this year. There is always the chance that more firsts would eventually add talent, and particularly more premium talent esp if selections are higher. Obviously, few selections are NHL ready day 1, and how long on the farm is a legit factor, all the more so for a club wishing to compete sooner than later so Sabes use future currency to add immediately.
In one fell swoop, Buf, which has shown visible improvement, upgrades and rejuvenates its D.
Dahlin can RD with Skjei pairing, or do 1LD with Skjei making strong second pair anchor. Emerging Pionk [mostly impressive eye test] + DeA [recently NYR +/- leader] add actual righty RDs with Risto, Sabes retain rfa rights. Stall is from part of Ottawa relatively close to Buf, he knows he is not part of the rebuild, and agrees to move on. He is useful to give experience to Dahlin, playing 3LD limited minutes or spare. He is on half here, and even without that he is very cheap to buy out next year, important to Sabes for salary cap mgmt and shaping the roster. The TB 2nd might morph, and more feasible is Bolts buying it back [or removing the condition] so TB can be free to have options with its own 1st unrestrained.
The cost is draft picks which is a match for Rangers, who will advance their blue chip LD prospects as soon as ready. Temporary lean on stopgaps, but that fits the e big plan.
Beaulieu sucks. Bogo, an unknown and overpriced, and Moulson is addition by subtraction for Sabes, as are cap dumps, but downstaters can go there with expiring or short deals.

The above stretches Rangers thin, but I think getting down to a basic core, and giving them mo mins in the system is in their best interest, esp w/Kratsov and hopefully Panarin and possibly Nylander joining downstaters.

Now, to directly answer your ?, given the above, Namest. [4m x2], Buch expiring but w/RFA], and/or Strome [3.1m x2] seem to fit your ask and could all be available. Buch not immediately available due to IR but still helps this season. What would you offer for any of these 3, assuming the prior suggested deal gets done.

ZZamboni

Puttin' on the Foil
Sep 25, 2010
Buffalo, NY

If he keeps up or nearly keeps up this pace and ends the season with 40+ goals he will demand and absolutely get 7 years and 8 - 9 mil. It just hopefully won’t be for Buffalo at that inflated price.

Rasmus CacOlainen

The end of the Tank
Sep 24, 2015
Europe
Brandon Saad. Hawks fans, what's the ask?
I like the idea of Saar but wonder what the ask would be, similar to Silfv.
Armia or Byron can be deadline targets from the Habs.... Or even Shaw.
I think they are more of bottom 6 players tather than solid middle 6 players. We have quite a few players like this, but we need someone that can make an impact on the roster if we are to get even better.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
I love how you just completely changed his words around to something he didn’t say.

And you also have an interesting definition of the word “soon”.

Legend123

Jul 3, 2016
I like the idea of Saar but wonder what the ask would be, similar to Silfv.

I think they are more of bottom 6 players tather than solid middle 6 players. We have quite a few players like this, but we need someone that can make an impact on the roster if we are to get even better.
you guys have a 20 goal scorer in ur bottom 6 and is not considered a solid middle 6?? lmao wut?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad