Speculation: Immediately trading a UFA signing and retaining salary. Legal?

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
They try everything to circumvent the cap. Everything imaginable. We could assume it’s been brought up at Governors meetings, GM Meetings, etc. The league has likely told teams if they do it, they’ll be fined and it won’t be approved.

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
Arizona would demand more than a good prospect and a 2nd in that scenario.

Sure, that's wasn't my point, but pretend it's a good prospect that is equal to the value that you're thinking lol.

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
Let's say contenders are only willing to pay $7M for a player but he feels he's worth $9M. So he signs with a rebuilding team for $9M on the condition he'd be traded before the start of the season to a team on his limited NMC, then the rebuilding team trades him for picks and youth. Everybody wins! :)
That's risky for all parties involved. The Gm of the rebuilding team can say at some point "You know, we actually think we are going to keep this player... unless you add to your original offer." Or one of the GMs could get fired, or the player could get injured in the offseason....

Even if legal it just doesn't make sense.

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
In theory I see no reason why not. In reality it's a strange concept but basically no different than what happens at the deadline except for time frame .

That being said it seems like a stretch. If my gm is trading picks and prospects for retention on free agents the ship is sinking and hes trying to save his job. He'd probably be fired before getting a chance to do something so desperate.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
Would it be cap circumvention for a team be allowed to sign a free agent only to immediately trade them with salary retained? Or would it only be cap circumvention if the trading partner pre-negotiated the agreement?

Both.

Basically, if you immediately trade a guy with salary retained, it's pretty obvious that you pre-negotiated. Clearly, you can, within the same calendar year, sign a guy and trade him with retention, but that is if you sign him in the offseason and then deal him as a rental at the TDL.

No matter how dumb you think NHL executive leadership is... they can tell the difference between the substance and form of a transaction.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad