GDT: Imma Sing It

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maine Fan

Defense Wins Chanpionships
Apr 19, 2015
Ocean Twp, NJ
This is just silly at this point. This fan base views Severson in such a strange way because of the occasional gaffes. Severson is good on a bad team, he'd be a top four on any other team in the league IMO yet a lot of our fan base think he's replacement level.

It is because of his inconsistent defensive play over the years. Every team in the NHL see this. What you are saying is that a weak team makes a good player weak. I am not so sure that is true. It has been proven by other teams regarding defense. He has been with many different defensive players and is still inconsistent. Is that silly?

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
It is because of his inconsistent defensive play over the years. Every team in the NHL see this. What you are saying is that a weak team makes a good player weak. I am not so sure that is true. It has been proven by other teams regarding defense. He has been with many different defensive players and is still inconsistent. Is that silly?
What's silly is you saying he's not even good but "fair"

Reactions: NjdevilfanJim

TheDuke93

May 29, 2017
NJ
Severson suck lol. What a f***in take man lol. If he was on any other team most of the people crying that he's bad would be blown away by his puck moving lol. What a joke lol.

billingtons ghost

Nov 29, 2010
It's not a matter of opinion though. PK literally has had a better season. It's an objective fact.
In terms of stats and offense generated, yes.

In terms of doing the little plays that help your team win and being a stabilizing factor, no way.

Kulikov showed he could be relied upon to be deployed in almost any scenario and with almost any partner and provide solid defense. The most obvious thing we have been lacking this past three years are guys who can settle our zone down and get the puck out of danger.

Vats, subban, And to a lessor degree severson are all high risk high reward, and they have wrought literal chaos upon this team. Murray early, and Smith breaking up 2-on-1s the right way was a first for Severson in a partner, so his game went from good last year to great this year.

The other guys' deficiencies were masked by their partners ( unless Vats played with butcher...then they were both coned) and Kulikov made Subban a viable option on defense.

Pk still spent time on his belly flailing around, and couldn't break up a pass to save his life, but he skated better, carried the puck well and actually shot it this year.

In the right situation, he could be a very valuable piece to the right team... but we are two+years and three defensemen away from being that team...including a partner for him that can cover,

But he was not better than Kulikov, who was exactly what this team needed and got.

Reactions: JK3

Poppy Whoa Sonnet

J'Accuse!
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2007
Dumping Kulikov for whatever he could get I wasn't thrilled about, but targeting and trading a 3rd for Siegenthaler is currently the Fitz deadline move I'm much more concerned about.

billingtons ghost

Nov 29, 2010
This is just silly at this point. This fan base views Severson in such a strange way because of the occasional gaffes. Severson is good on a bad team, he'd be a top four on any other team in the league IMO yet a lot of our fan base think he's replacement level.

Because he isn't complete. He's still a work in progress. He made the nicest play I've ever seen him make yesterday, three quick shoulder fakes fetching the puck beside the net, and then pitchforking on the backhand it up the boards to a teammate as a perfect saucer pass. I thought 'wow' haven't seen that since Rafalski. Incredibly skilled, he's now actually thinking the game.

And then you see him wander off and follow his d pairing into the corner leaving the net wide open and get to hear Dano or Bryce say 'you want Sevs to... (Insert) there.'

Be more aware (like when he gets coned against the Pens)...

I think he's great and will be better, but the way folks worship him is silly.

There's something to be said for having a good partner - Ty Smith went a long way to bail out Sevs and make him better after years of subpart guys...

But at what point, if he is 'great', can we start hoping that we can pair him with our rookies to make the rookie better instead of worrying about whether Sevs will be ok.

I don't get folks' idea of codependency here.

We will have a genuine #1 dman when we won't care who he's paired with, because he will be dominant anyway.

Reactions: JK3

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
Bratt should have been on the first unit instead of Butcher or choose someone else if you like Butcher there. We were stagnant. Incredibly so. Bratt is the guy who makes the ensemble more unpredictable and creative especially if he’s also out with Hughes. Get some motion into the thing. You really don’t worry about a short hand chance there - with our record in shoot outs, roll the dice on the 4 on 3.

You may have a point.

However, the futility of the power play is seemingly limitless.

Camille the Eel

Dumping Kulikov for whatever he could get I wasn't thrilled about, but targeting and trading a 3rd for Siegenthaler is currently the Fitz deadline move I'm much more concerned about.
Only thing I could think is that it was a good turn to Kulikov - who played his heart out here for minimal salary but now gets a playoff run with McDavid et al. - and he’s why I am rooting for Edmonton in that division. Kulikov was a good soldier here in the trenches.

TheDuke93

May 29, 2017
NJ
I find it funny that Kulikov and PK were on the ice with each other as partner more then with anyone else. They also had the highest xGF and lowest xGA of any pairing either of those two players were on. Highest HDCF% as well. They complimented each other very well yet people are still saying one definitively carried the other.

billingtons ghost

Nov 29, 2010
I find it funny that Kulikov and PK were on the ice with each other as partner more then with anyone else. They also had the highest xGF and lowest xGA of any pairing either of those two players were on. Highest HDCF% as well. They complimented each other very well yet people are still saying one definitively carried the other.

Not saying carried.

Without PK kulikov is maybe not quite an offensive black hole, but I'd bet our forwards would have had to work alot harder to generate chances.

Without Kulikov, (and say with Butcher or any other dman on our team save Murray) Subban is a frigging hot mess disaster and certainly borderline unplayable against top lines and his modest offensive output would even suffer. The guy made lots of nice plays, but I still haven't seen him play a 2-on-1 right, and he panics way too easily turning us into a circus. I wouldn't even pair him with Smith for the damage he might cause.

'Complimented' is a great word you used.

Reactions: JK3 and TheDuke93

TheDuke93

May 29, 2017
NJ
Not saying carried.

Without PK kulikov is maybe not quite an offensive black hole, but I'd bet our forwards would have had to work alot harder to generate chances.

Without Kulikov, (and say with Butcher or any other dman on our team save Murray) Subban is a frigging hot mess disaster and certainly borderline unplayable against top lines and his modest offensive output would even suffer. The guy made lots of nice plays, but I still haven't seen him play a 2-on-1 right, and he panics way too easily turning us into a circus. I wouldn't even pair him with Smith for the damage he might cause.

'Complimented' is a great word you used.
Our best pairings have been Smith-Severson and Kulikov-Subban without a doubt on the season. 3 of our top 4 pairings featured Ty Smith, undoubtedly our best puck mover. Not including Smith our best pairing were Kulikov-Severson then Kulikov-Subban. Again players that compliment each other, puck movers (although PK is certainly declining here, and someone that is good defensively.

This isn't some sort of anti Kulikov post or anything like that, he is a good hockey player. But there is no doubt he play above his past levels this season and how much of that gets tied into playing with solid puck movers? That is my problem with people saying PK is dog shit and Kulikov had an incredible season. It was very clear our top 4 defensemen and they all played relatively well when you interchanged them so imo pointing out what PK did with Butcher holds no water because those two should never be on the ice together.

TheDuke93

May 29, 2017
NJ
I don't know if you care about advanced stats or not but fwiw.
upload_2021-4-26_13-55-1.png

Smith and Vatanen being relatively solid and just giving up bad goals highlights Vatanen's ability to move the puck but not himself lol. Sam could be applied to Butcher and Vatanen pairing but for both both of them lol. If we come into next season with our top 4 being Smith, Severson, Subban and Murray I have no problem with either pairing. We do need to find a RD that can come in and be better then Butcher though. He just doesn't fit what our team is doing and is simply way to poor of a skater to play with Siegenthaler assuming he is also here.

NjdevilfanJim

Jan 26, 2020

Yes it is ....when he represented Canada in 2019? I think he stood out....He stands out now on a bad team and I bet most teams would be interested if he was made available....To say he is fair is silly....He is a top 4 defenseman....Sometimes I think he tries to do too much....I think he bolts after this deal hopefully we resign him though

Call Me Al

Aug 28, 2017
if we really turn it around in the next two years i hope he stays and wants to be a part of it to see this whole thing through. but i’d understand if he didn’t

Reactions: Billdo

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
Severson suck lol. What a f***in take man lol. If he was on any other team most of the people crying that he's bad would be blown away by his puck moving lol. What a joke lol.
Severson is a top 4 defenseman on every team in the NHL IMO and he'd be closer to an All Star than the replacement level defenseman half this dumb ass fan base would lead people to believe.

Reactions: TheDuke93

TheDuke93

May 29, 2017
NJ
Severson is a top 4 defenseman on every team in the NHL IMO and he'd be closer to an All Star than the replacement level defenseman half this dumb ass fan base would lead people to believe.
You would think a solid defender who averages 30p on an offensively inept team his whole career would get some love lol.

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
You would think a solid defender who averages 30p on an offensively inept team his whole career would get some love lol.
Sure he's prone to a gaffe here and there and the occasional puck in his own net but there are bound to be mishaps when you play as much as he does. I just don't understand why certain people fixate on him and Bratt as "problems" and players we should move away from.

TheDuke93

May 29, 2017
NJ
Sure he's prone to a gaffe here and there and the occasional puck in his own net but there are bound to be mishaps when you play as much as he does. I just don't understand why certain people fixate on him and Bratt as "problems" and players we should move away from.
My favorite parts is own goals are almost bad dumb luck lol.

Maine Fan

Defense Wins Chanpionships
Apr 19, 2015
Ocean Twp, NJ
Yes, it is ....when he represented Canada in 2019? I think he stood out....He stands out now on a bad team and I bet most teams would be interested if he was made available...To say he is fair is silly....He is a top 4 defenseman....Sometimes I think he tries to do too much....I think he bolts after this deal hopefully we resign him, though

Thanks, as you said, " you think sometimes he tries too hard." Whatever the excuse, he plays top 4 defense with the Devils because that is all they have. On another good NHL team, he would be on the 3rd pair. Just my opinion of defensemen named Severson. BTW, I think many other Devils fans feel the same as I do regarding Severson.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $246.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig