Player Discussion Ilya Samsonov [#35] discussion

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
Even if you believe the Leafs still lose Game 4, they should have won Game 3 before Samsonov allowed that weak ECHL goal to let Boston tie it and give them momentum.

He guesses too much. Goalies are supposed to let the play come to them. Samsonov tries to guess what the shooter is going to do and moves himself out of position before they even do anything.

weems

Jul 3, 2008
That should be the last game Samsonov ever plays for this organization

Just give woll game 4 and tell him do whatever you can. Let in 0 or 6, don’t sweat it

Samsonov has the Andersen-gene of giving up backbreaking softies at critical times

The stinker he gave up to Frederic was the turning point in the series.

We had all the momentum and boom.

Cassell

Apr 28, 2024
Samsonov might be a great room guy, great teammate, whatever. But his brain is cracked. I wish him all the best and hope he can get through whatever mental issues he has when it comes to this game. But I never want to see him in a Leafs jersey again.

weems

Jul 3, 2008
Two minutes left in the 2nd period, up 1 - 0 with the series tied, you can't let a third liner snipe short side on you from here.

Screenshot (1295).png

colchar

Apr 26, 2012
This f***ing loser cost the Leafs another 1st round exit.

I'm not happy with him, but to blame him for this is f***ing stupid. If the allegedly star forwards, including the 69 goal man, could score they would be in this series. But they've just proven yet again that they are nothing more than regular season heroes who cannot handle playoff hockey. That ain't Sammy's fault.

a horrendous performance, couldn't believe what i just had seen

I missed that, what happened?

Also, why was he pulled?

Reactions: ruaware41

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Roy could have been our tender and we are down 3-1 .. he and Matty won us game 2 .. pretty much any other tender in net and it is still 3-1 .. but that goal in game 3 was house league for sure

fahad203

Oct 3, 2009
Samsonov might be a great room guy, great teammate, whatever. But his brain is cracked. I wish him all the best and hope he can get through whatever mental issues he has when it comes to this game. But I never want to see him in a Leafs jersey again.

It's nothing personal. Campbell was probably the most likeable human being
But this is an industry of what have you done for me lately. And latey, he hasn't done much for us

He'll be in KHL next year. He'll earn his paycheck

Time to move on. I guess we have to thank him for game 6 against Tampa. Without his play, we don't win that one round in 20 years

Reactions: ruaware41

ITM

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe...
Jan 26, 2012
If we're serious fans, and we're examining all available evidence, we have to believe that Samsonov knows the club's record of scoring in the playoffs as well as we do.

If we're serious fans, we have to remember that Samsonov is coming in with the KNOWLEDGE that if he doesn't keep the opposition to two or less, that the team is likely done. That's a hell of a burden on a club with as lax a defensive structure as ours and a D-corps as modest as ours.

He's gone and he has to be. But considering what we've had to work with, I think our GM saw the gamble that Samsonov is, and handled our lack at the position as soundly as any GM could.

Sometimes there's only making due with what you've got. Wasn't Sammy's problem or Tre's. The die was cast when we signed Tavares. Everything else has been treading water until that contract ends or JT is placed on LTIR for the remainder of his contract.

Thankfully, Matthews and Nylander 27 and 28 by the start of next season and still in their prime and will be for a few years more.

With a coaching change, and $22 Million to spend in one off-season, our club might look a lot different and with it, the need for a goalie to do the impossible in this market will have been addressed, as always, we hope.

leafsfan5

Jun 14, 2014
That bite on the fake by McAvoy for the Marchand goal last night was embarrassing

Samsonov isn't the main issue, but Woll should've been in net for game 4 and should be in net for the final game of this series

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
That bite on the fake by McAvoy for the Marchand goal last night was embarrassing

Samsonov isn't the main issue, but Woll should've been in net for game 4 and should be in net for the final game of this series
Woll should've been in from game 1 if we're going down that route. Samsonov has an entire career of shit playoff performances that nobody should be putting him in

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad