Player Discussion Ilya Samsonov [#35] discussion

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
1712852610247.png

In Ilya we trust.

Anyone know if 18-3-1 is good ?

Oddly his money puck stats aren't good (Goals saved above expected). - he's 3rd on the Leafs.

https://moneypuck.com/goalies.htm

and it's worse on the PK.

TMLBlueandWhite

Feb 2, 2023
Such bipolar goaltending reminds me of Campbell.

Except at opposite times of the year. I'm just glad Samsonov is having the good part of his season now. A hot goaltender is necessary for a deep cup run.

Still wish they traded Nylander for Hellebuyck.

Wouldn't that have solved a lot of problems. The Leafs could have six Norris winners on the team. It wouldn't matter if the goaltending stinks.

Which it kinda does.

So hard to believe just a few short years ago I still thought either the Leafs or Jets were gonna win the cup. Boy was I ever wrong. Any team with a perennial Vezina candidate will always have a shot I guess.

Too bad the Leafs went with an unstable headcase who has a history of choking in the playoffs instead.

Doublerum1975

Dec 15, 2019
I don’t care what his record is since he came back I don’t have any faith in him please prove me wrong

Aashir Mallik

Apr 19, 2019
He is not the problem. He is a symptom of how this team is built. The 4 amigos need to bail him out in the playoffs, not the other way around.
I think bailing him out would've been winning this game 6-5 in OT, too bad he didn't give them the chance

I agree our team is paid to score, but no NHL goaltender should be giving up 6 goals tonight. The team played much better and deserved a better faith

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
I think bailing him out would've been winning this game 6-5 in OT, too bad he didn't give them the chance

I agree our team is paid to score, but no NHL goaltender should be giving up 6 goals tonight. The team played much better and deserved a better faith

I know, but it's ok. He has been pretty solid last few months after his mental reset. This game could just be a blip.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Not the best timing for this thread but you have to think Sammy has built a lot of confidence, fought back from the brink and is still in good shape to lead us into the playoffs. Tonight had an air of casualness and don't think it's representative.

Reactions: HamiltonNHL

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
View attachment 849815

In Ilya we trust.

Anyone know if 18-3-1 is good ?

Oddly his money puck stats aren't good (Goals saved above expected). - he's 3rd on the Leafs.

https://moneypuck.com/goalies.htm

and it's worse on the PK.

In Sammy YOU trust, not me though and tonight was another example of why.

He ruined a spectacular Matthews performance

One game - EVERYONE PANICCCCCCCCCC

It's not 1 game it's what he's been most of the season even when he wins.

thusk

Jul 15, 2011
Chicoutimi
EVERY GOALIE NO EXCEPTION having bad game. Its part of the game

It was not samsonov game for sure and he wasn't sharp but its like the 1st time since beggining of frebruary so everybody can relax.

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
Put him right back in next game. Let him reset. You hope it’s a blip because he’s starting game 1 no matter what we think. Question is, do you play Sammy against Panthers or Tampa?

Reactions: banks and Jojalu

Jojalu

Feb 22, 2019
And, there is only 7 in a playoff series. Winning 4 looks nearly impossible with the way our Leafs played on D and in goal !!!
So this game is the one that is indicitive of the Leafs and Sammy's play?

Not the previous 30?

fancy lad

Nov 22, 2021
EVERY GOALIE NO EXCEPTION having bad game. Its part of the game

It was not samsonov game for sure and he wasn't sharp but its like the 1st time since beggining of frebruary so everybody can relax.

How do you figure we should be chill about this?

Samsonov has it in him to be a trainwreck of a goalie. As shown for pretty much a whole month at the start of the season and as shown yesterday.

We all HOPE it's a blip, but with a guy like him, it's just blind hope to some extent.
The playoffs are around the corner. We don't have time for him to figure himself out anymore.

shaner8989

Aug 6, 2005
I’d like to think it’s just a putrid game but we have this mess a ton from him. He’s f***ing awful. We’re in huge trouble. Woll better be ready to start game 1 or 2 cause that leash has to be the shortest leash in history.

Reactions: Al14

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Sammy’s splits are funny this year.

Month to month he goes back and forth from being solid to being poor. This is by a Quick Look at his SV%.

Guess it’s bad month time :laugh: he should have a short leash come playoff time

BraveCanadian

Jun 30, 2010
A couple he probably should have had but I don't blame him at all for last night. So many defensive breakdowns, poor penalty killing (I'm looking at you Nylander), and shots that were off the bar and in.. it happens.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
One bad game for Sammy doesn't even register for me as a concern when our PP is such a massive liability.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad