Player Discussion Ilya Mikheyev

LordBacon

CEO of sh*tposting
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Hong Kong
Hope he keeps up with this production in the entirety of his contract.
he’s easily worth this contract if he can keep this up.

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
Liked the signing and player. Hope we see some of his former speed soon.
It will likely take another summer before we do.

He is a tough SOB tho. I see no fear in the way he plays. He isnt tentative about his knee at all. Its just a matter of being unable to generate power right now.

Bobby9

Feb 10, 2019
Silently put up 10 goals and 17 points.

25-25 would be remarkable for him

kanucks25

Chris Tanev #1 Fan
Nov 29, 2013
Surrey, BC
Silently put up 10 goals and 17 points.

25-25 would be remarkable for him

8 assists since this was posted over 2 months ago.

Offensive contribution was definitely under the radar earlier on in the season when he was on pace for 45+ points.

Now it looks like he'll be lucky to hit 35 and is contributing nothing outside of that, as well, other than "not being a liability" which is like what you're hoping to get out of your 14th forward.

Strange how he played his best hockey as a Canuck while needing major surgery, and then played well enough early on in his recovery, but has completely fell off later in his recovery.

Let's hope he magically gets it back after a full summer of training and recovery. I know the "trade Mikheyev" train is starting to roll but with 2 years left @ 4.75M after this season, it's going to cost to dump him.

JT Milker

Mar 24, 2018
8 assists since this was posted over 2 months ago.

Offensive contribution was definitely under the radar earlier on in the season when he was on pace for 45+ points.

Now it looks like he'll be lucky to hit 35 and is contributing nothing outside of that, as well, other than "not being a liability" which is like what you're hoping to get out of your 14th forward.

Strange how he played his best hockey as a Canuck while needing major surgery, and then played well enough early on in his recovery, but has completely fell off later in his recovery.

Let's hope he magically gets it back after a full summer of training and recovery. I know the "trade Mikheyev" train is starting to roll but with 2 years left @ 4.75M after this season, it's going to cost to dump him.
Because pro athletes have built legs and hockey isn’t particularly stressful on your ACL (other than goalie). His knee probably felt better before the surgery than it does right now.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Because pro athletes have built legs and hockey isn’t particularly stressful on your ACL (other than goalie). His knee probably felt better before the surgery than it does right now.

This doesn’t make sense. Not a doctor but my understanding is that the biggest issue with hockey players playing through an ACL tear is stability in the knee which the use of a brace helps with. Without the use of a brace the knee can easily get dislocated. The lack of power in Mik’s stride last season is a common symptom.

Surgery is suppose to fix the issue. If Mik’s knee doesn’t feel better than it did pre-surgery then something went wrong.

• Wow
Reactions: Play

JT Milker

Mar 24, 2018
This doesn’t make sense. Not a doctor but my understanding is that the biggest issue with hockey players playing through an ACL tear is stability in the knee which the use of a brace helps with. Without the use of a brace the knee can easily get dislocated. The lack of power in Mik’s stride last season is a common symptom.

Surgery is suppose to fix the issue. If Mik’s knee doesn’t feel better than it did pre-surgery then something went wrong.
He’s less than a year post op, he probably feels more stability but his knee definitely will feel stiffer and sore after exercise still.

I’ve torn my ACL + lateral and medial meniscus, and experienced knee dislocation while trying to play through it at a high level. His knee likely won’t feel “normal” again for another 6-12 months.

Reactions: tantalum

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
He’s less than a year post op, he probably feels more stability but his knee definitely will feel stiffer and sore after exercise still.

I’ve torn my ACL + lateral and medial meniscus, and experienced knee dislocation while trying to play through it at a high level. His knee likely won’t feel “normal” again for another 6-12 months.
The main reason why the surgery should’ve happened asap. More recovery time and a quicker return to normal(or his new normal).

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011
This is a horrible contract. Just another Benning Special at this point.

I got the rationale behind it. This team was horribly slow, had an awful PK and needed better two-way wingers in our lineup. Problem is, Mikheyev relies on speed, and speed alone to generate chances or effectively play his two-way game. Remove that, and his lack of skill on both ends of the ice becomes most glaring. Similar to Kasperi Kapanen who lost some speed and ended up becoming a replacement level 4th liner.

Allvin/JR were banking on him improving to be an effective top 6 option, but it was a pro-scouting mishap. One of the biggest issues for me though is the fact that he still got a term deal despite being incredibly injury prone in Toronto. It was the same story with Ferland (a mistake which Jim Benning made) which makes it so incredibly frustrating.

JT Milker

Mar 24, 2018
The main reason why the surgery should’ve happened asap. More recovery time and a quicker return to normal(or his new normal).
My guess is it was Mikheyev’s decision to play through given he could still play at a high level and the recovery sucks. He must have finally decided that he wasn’t happy with his skating ability and gave in.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
This is a horrible contract. Just another Benning Special at this point.
It is what it is. I was against the signing at the time (and said as much).

But if anyone expected anything much differently, that's on them. They paid him to be a top-six player, but he was always going to disappoint with that expectation. If anyone liked the signing at the time, they should still be fine with it now, because it's gone about as expected.

Reactions: Bleach Clean

BenningHurtsMySoul

Unfair Huggy Bear
Mar 18, 2008
Port Coquitlam, BC
It is what it is. I was against the signing at the time (and said as much).

But if anyone expected anything much differently, that's on them. They paid him to be a top-six player, but he was always going to disappoint with that expectation. If anyone liked the signing at the time, they should still be fine with it now, because it's gone about as expected.

Leafs fans were celebrating that it wasn't them holding that bag.

Same thing as Jets fans with Myers and Poolman.

I tend to believe rival fanbases when they aren't sad to see players leave.

Reactions: bossram

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
Leafs fans were celebrating that it wasn't them holding that bag.

Same thing as Jets fans with Myers and Poolman.

I tend to believe rival fanbases when they aren't sad to see players leave.
Mikheyev was great on a checking line with Engvall and Kampf, in a purely checking role. But if you want him to score, he was always going to disappoint. Leafs fans knew this, certainly.

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
Last year he was on a 20+ goal /50Pt pace before being shutdown. This year he's closer to 15/40. Since he will be 30 next year, my guess is that his offensive production rate peaked last year and the injury that most say takes over a year to fully recover may have sped up the decline.

He's still fast and he's still good defensively. He would make most rosters as part of a shutdown 3rd line. I just don't think he's going to have the production that makes him a regular top 6 forward. And with that profile, $4.75M is expensive.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005

Well you said "His knee probably felt better before the surgery than it does right now." That's what made no sense to me. I can understand that he's not 100%. The fear is that he will never be the same.

Last year he was on a 20+ goal /50Pt pace before being shutdown. This year he's closer to 15/40. Since he will be 30 next year, my guess is that his offensive production rate peaked last year and the injury that most say takes over a year to fully recover may have sped up the decline.

He's still fast and he's still good defensively. He would make most rosters as part of a shutdown 3rd line. I just don't think he's going to have the production that makes him a regular top 6 forward. And with that profile, $4.75M is expensive.

Lack of offensive opportunities and finishing ability were the issues plaguing Mik in Toronto. It was (an expensive) bet on him being like Samuelsson who with greater opportunities would up his production. Unfortunately Mik joins a long list of high priced UFA signings that got injured.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
The reason the Canucks signed Mikheyev is that overall, they were seriously lacking in team speed. But an injury in a training camp exhibition game more than a year and a half ago, appears to have derailed that plan.

Since coming back, he just doesn't have the separation speed that he had in TO......Not sure what the Canucks can do now. I have a fear that they'd have craft another deal like the one they used to get out from under the Jason Dickinson contract--a second rounder in this year's draft.

Unfortunately Mikheyev has two years left on his contract after this one. Almost all of Allvin's UFA signings have worked out---but this one is fraying at the edges. Ironically, they might have been better of hanging on to Dickinson.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad